Author Topic: Recording in Public Places and Your First Amendment Rights  (Read 1254 times)

Offline AbaraXas

• Just a nobody
  • Just a nobody
Recording in Public Places and Your First Amendment Rights
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
So, you show up at a public event, or encounter something weird going on and you whip our your phone or camera and start shooting video. We've all seen these videos, and sometimes important turns of events are captured. Also as well, sometimes the one shooting the video is hassled. What ARE our rights in these situations? Well, the short answer is that, "It's complicated." "Videomaker" magazine has an important tip for those who wind up facing an encounter with security or other authorities.

"So what steps does a videographer or photographer take when faced with these ever-increasing encounters? Obviously every situation is different, but it is important to stay calm, speak in a conversational tone and be respectful. Whenever possible, try to keep recording the interaction as it may be your best evidence of what actually happened should you get arrested. If the officer or guard is willing to talk, which often they are not, try to explain your po
sition and respectfully assert your understanding of your rights. If the officer still tries to stop you, request to speak to a supervisory or public information officer, and if that is not possible, you may be faced with a personal decision as to whether what you are doing is important enough to risk arrest. No one else can make that decision for you, as it is your liberty that is at stake. In case you are arrested, you may win the legal battle but that usually takes some time and may also be costly."

Lots more at the link. If you like to record in public, might want to bookmark and study thoroughly. It could save you a lot of money, and maybe even your freedom:

(From post on Facebook)
Never delude yourself into thinking you're "influencing" or making a difference on the internet. It is an ephemeral pleasure.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • SMOD 2016
Re: Recording in Public Places and Your First Amendment Rights
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
It's definitely important for anyone who is going to be taking pictures - still or video - in public to know what their rights are and what the limits are on what they can do.  It's also very important to know how to deal with a police officer or security guard who has overstepped his/her own bounds and, in particular, to learn how to talk a situation down rather than up while not simply giving in to the officer or guard.
I won't vote for Clinton, but I cannot vote for Trump.  How could I explain to my daughter why I supported a man who sees her as nothing more than a piece of meat, a piece of a$$ for him to grope for his own private pleasure.

"Trump supporter" - the very definition of an SFI

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo