Author Topic: What if the 2012 Presidential Election Ends in a Tie?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Bender2

• Never a dull moment, eh?
What if the 2012 Presidential Election Ends in a Tie?
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
From http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2012/10/25/what_if_the_2012_presidential_election.htm

What if the 2012 Presidential Election Ends in a Tie?
October 25, 2012
Thomas Fitzgerald

The final days of a close race for the White House, like the one now unfolding between President Obama and Mitt Romney, are always loud, tense, and messy, but most end with a clear result.

What if this year is different, and Nov. 6 is only the beginning of the chaos?

What if it ends in a tie?

An Electoral College tie -- with each man getting 269 votes instead of the 270 needed to win -- is possible, analysts say, a result that would unleash enough political and legal disorder to make people yearn for the tamer controversy over "hanging chads" in the 2000 Florida recount.

In a tie scenario, the Constitution says the House of Representatives would choose the next president, and the Senate would choose the vice president -- provided no members of the Electoral College desert their candidate. There's a term for this phenomenon: faithless electors.

This is a possibility...  as shown below:

However, the joke...  may be on Obama!

Maine is one of just two states that allows a presidential candidate to pick-up an electoral vote even if he/she loses the state. President Obama is firmly ahead in Maine's 1st Congressional District, but recent polls show that Romney is within striking distance in Maine's more conservative 2nd District. And, with national pundits beginning to consider the prospect of a tie in the national electoral college, even one electoral vote could make a difference on Election Day.

And what can that lead to? See below:

Here to your 2nd place finish...  Barry
"I've got a twisted sense of humor, and everything amuses me." RAH Beyond this Horizon

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: What if the 2012 Presidential Election Ends in a Tie?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
Quite interesting...but I don't see any real way that Romney loses Ohio and wins Nevada.  The far liklier outcome is the opposite of that, which renders a tie almost impossible.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »
There is a trend worth looking at that shows when NC and VA go red so does Ohio.

Romney is in play in Michigan now

yet...Ohio is playing games? Strange. Look to busloads in Ohio around Cleveland cheating like hell.

If Ohio and PA screw us over and don't roll with NC and VA I say they can become a part of CA.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Bender2

• Never a dull moment, eh?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »
This is what...  I really expect:

"I've got a twisted sense of humor, and everything amuses me." RAH Beyond this Horizon

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
I'll take it but shame on PA and Ohio.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf