Author Topic:  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Rapunzel

« on: October 23, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »
I remember a couple years ago, back when I first got cable, the History channel had a limited-run show called Lock'n'Load with R. Lee Ermey. He'd go around explaining the history and evolution of various forms of weaponry in American history.

One of them was the bayonet. Ermey actually entered a training exercise in bayonet combat-- and lost.

The bayonet is hardly an extinct weapon.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »
Bayonets are practically useless on the M4 Carbine. The weapon is just too short to effectively use it as a pike. If the enemy has a weapon with a longer reach, he can easily skewer you. The Marines use the M16A4, which is a full length variant, and better for such use.

This picture brings back some memories. My team was the first to deploy to Poland after the wall came down. We worked with the 6th Polish Airborne Brigade stationed in Rzezow, Poland. They weren't really Airborne, but more like horse mounted border troops. During one patrol of the Ukraine/Polish border, we rode on a portion that was more of a paved walking trail. It was rainy and icy that night. The commo guy, with his rucksack filled with 70lbs of lightweight radio gear took a header as his horse slipped on the icy road and dropped straight down on its' belly. Of course, when the horse regained its' footing and came back up, the commo guy's head and the horse's head met with a resounding "bop". 

He had a headache for a week.........
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:03:55 PM »

He had a headache for a week.........

The horse, or the commo guy?

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
This, by the by, is a truly beautiful photograph, in terms of light, color, and composition:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
What the hell does Barry know of bayonets...??

:beer:

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
The horse, or the commo guy?

Commo guy. The horse's head was harder :)
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf