Author Topic: Heavy Air  (Read 2061 times)

Offline DeerSlayer

Heavy Air
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:41:57 AM »
Most common answers to the question which follows the answers:

1.  "Nothing"
2.  "10,000 pounds"

Now the question:

What is the mass of one cubic mile of air at sea level?

Assume STP, of course, and a perfect cube.  In other words, imagine a strong steel box 1 mile by 1 mile by 1 mile. 
If it were evacuated, sealed, and weighed at sea level, and then unsealed and air allowed to fill it, what is the increase over the tare weight?
The answer will astound you.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Heavy Air
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:21:07 PM by jmyrlefuller »

Offline DeerSlayer

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »
Mass, or weight?  The two are not the same.  An object has the same mass on the Earth and the Moon (and anywhere else in the Universe for that matter), but that same object weighs only about 1/6th as much on the Moon as it does on the Earth.

YOU mentioned the moon, not I.  YOU conflated mass and weight, not I.
I specifically said "sea level."  There IS no sea on the moon, which in any case, I never mentioned.  Only you did.

Offline DeerSlayer

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:03:30 PM »
5.2 billion kg is equal to 5.2 million tons. 1 ton = 1000 kg.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
Mass, or weight?  The two are not the same.  An object has the same mass on the Earth and the Moon (and anywhere else in the Universe for that matter), but that same object weighs only about 1/6th as much on the Moon as it does on the Earth.

YOU mentioned the moon, not I.  YOU conflated mass and weight, not I.
I specifically said "sea level."  There IS no sea on the moon, which in any case, I never mentioned.  Only you did.

With all due respect, you have some major reading comprehension problems.  I'd focus on getting that fixed first before you continue looking around for motes in others' eyes.

Offline DeerSlayer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
5.2 billion kg is equal to 5.2 million tons. 1 ton = 1000 kg.

A ton is 2000 pounds.
A metric ton is 2,200 pounds.

Offline DeerSlayer

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
Oceander, you are the first person I have ever encountered who failed to understand the ineluctable relationship between altitude and pressure.
The bottom of the theoretical box is at sea level, where the pressure is 760 Torr.  It must decrease as altitude increases, inside or outside.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
Oceander, you are the first person I have ever encountered who failed to understand the ineluctable relationship between altitude and pressure.
The bottom of the theoretical box is at sea level, where the pressure is 760 Torr.  It must decrease as altitude increases, inside or outside.

I'm just askin'... is that necessary?  Sheese, let's elect a new President!
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »

Why I'm responding I don't know - I suppose it's my own ego - but I'll just say this:  what you know about what I do or do not know would, if converted into mass, be less than the rest mass of an electron.

Offline DeerSlayer

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
"Ego" is such a small word to describe your Infinite Wonderfulness which exceeds that of Obama the preening narcissist.

How amazing that you did not so much as attempt to answer the question and show your calculations and reasoning therefor, Oceander, Your Infinite Wonderfulness.

Bowing deeply, as Obama bowed down before the "king" of Saudi Arabia, I now take my humble leave, with your permission.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf