Author Topic: Hi-ho Silver  (Read 505 times)

Offline pjohns

Hi-ho Silver
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
For those diehard Nate Silver fans out there--and there are usually a few--the man is now on record:  He is animated by a very thinly veiled disdain for the Gallup organization.

Or, as Mr. Silver has just put it, in The New York Times:

The Gallup national tracking poll now shows a very strong lead for Mitt Romney. As of Friday, he was ahead by six points among likely voters, having led by seven points on Thursday.

However, the poll’s results are deeply inconsistent with the results that other polling firms are showing in the presidential race, and the Gallup poll has a history of performing very poorly when that is the case. ...

The Gallup poll seems to have an outsize influence on the subjective perception of where the presidential race stands, however — especially when the poll seems to diverge from the consensus.

This simply isn’t rational, in my view. Usually, when a poll is an outlier relative to the consensus, its results turn out badly.

Here is the link:

In the end, perhaps Mr. Silver will be exonerated.  Perhaps President Obama will win re-election, and the Gallup organization will have egg all over its collective face.

We shall see.

Anyway, it is well to have this on the record now...

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • SMOD 2016
Re: Hi-ho Silver
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
If nothing else, I hope one of the results of this election is another long nail struck deeply into the coffin of the legacy media.
I won't vote for Clinton, but I cannot vote for Trump.  How could I explain to my daughter why I supported a man who sees her as nothing more than a piece of meat, a piece of a$$ for him to grope for his own private pleasure.

"Trump supporter" - the very definition of an SFI

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
The problem for the fever swamp of Obama supporters is they are hanging all theri hopes on state by state polls now that the National polls have turned against them.

State by state polling is not done as frequently as national polling. So the state by state averages at places like Real Clear Politics still have Sept polling in the mix. State by state polling usually lages about 10 days behind national poll trends.

So what are the Leftists lead by Nate "Obamamania" Silver going to do when the state by state polling turn against them like the national polling has done?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
General consensus seems to be Ohio is still in the Obama column and Mitt has a few western states getting squishy so he is heading west after the debate to shore up his western flank.
“The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.” G Washington July 2, 1776

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo