Author Topic: Poll: Obama lead in Va. shrinks to smallest of election cycle  (Read 422 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Poll: Obama lead in Va. shrinks to smallest of election cycle
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »

Poll: Obama lead in Va. shrinks to smallest of election cycle
By Justin Sink - 10/08/12 07:41 AM ET

President Obama's lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney in Virginia is now three points, the lowest that Democratic polling firm Public Policy Polling has found this election cycle.

The president leads Romney 50-47 percent, according to the firm, down two points from a 51-46 lead three weeks prior.

Romney's progress is likely due to his strong performance in Wednesday's debate, with voters agreeing that Romney was the consensus victor. Virginia voters picked Romney as the debate winer by a 61-28 percent margin, with independents giving him a stronger 71-17 percent edge.

Romney also showed a 10-point gain in his favorability ratings, moving from net-negative to net-positive in the poll, further evidence that he benefited from his performance on the debate stage.

The debate also seems to have boosted Republicans and discouraged Democrats. While Democrats held a 73-63 percent voter enthusiasm advantage last month, now the parties are tied at 70 percent each.

Still, the poll found that Romney has troublespots in Virginia — especially among female voters and minorities. Obama leads Romney 52-44 percent among women and 59-34 percent among non-whites, while Romney leads Obama among men just 49-48 percent.

The Republican nominee is able to keep pace in Virginia because of his 55-43 percent advantage among seniors. But the president holds an equally commanding 59-38 percent lead among Virginians under 45 years old.

Romney also benefited from the dwindling prospects of former Rep. Virgil Goode. The popular conservative, who served both as a Democrat and a Republican, was threatening to siphon off Romney votes in Virginia with his third-party presidential bid. But the latest survey shows him pulling just 1 percent of the vote, down significantly from earlier in the year.

Support the USO
#NeverHillary  Not#NeverTrump

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Poll: Obama lead in Va. shrinks to smallest of election cycle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »
I know Obama was different as many thought he was a moderate that wanted 'change' as in real change in Washington- and they were fooled...

But in history if VA goes republican I believe PA follows. (I think... when you don't have a black jesus running; that promises change)

It is like a domino effect that NC started up the coast.  :finger:
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo