Author Topic: Lehrer: My job was 'to stay out of the way'  (Read 749 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Lehrer: My job was 'to stay out of the way'
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/10/lehrer-part-of-my-moderator-mission-was-to-stay-out-137579.html?hp=l11

By DYLAN BYERS |
10/4/12 6:43 PM EDT

Jim Lehrer has been widely criticized for the passive role he played as moderator of last night's first presidential debate. But in a statement sent via a PBS spokesperson, Lehrer said part of his job was simply "to stay out of the way," and that he "had no problems with doing so"

"I thought the format accomplished its purpose, which was to facilitate direct, extended exchanges between the candidates about issues of substance," Lehrer said. "Part of my moderator mission was to stay out of the way of the flow and I had no problems with doing so. My only real personal frustration was discovering that ninety minutes was not enough time in that more open format to cover every issue that deserved attention."

Support the USO

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Lehrer: My job was 'to stay out of the way'
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
Now that is a statement I wholeheartedly agree with, no matter what Mr. Lehrer's personal political predilections might be.  The job of the moderator is - as it is here - to walk softly, carry a big stick, and prevent clear violations of the rules of conduct, not to micromanage everything, and particularly not to micromanage in favor of the weaker side.

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
Now that is a statement I wholeheartedly agree with, no matter what Mr. Lehrer's personal political predilections might be.  The job of the moderator is - as it is here - to walk softly, carry a big stick, and prevent clear violations of the rules of conduct, not to micromanage everything, and particularly not to micromanage in favor of the weaker side.

:amen: :amen: :amen:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
The format of the debate was exactly one I've been wanting since I watched the debates in the UK... their debates are exactly like this only they go for about two - three hours and the moderators does exactly what Leher did -- throws out a question, each candidate gets a short response and then they each (the last time in UK was three candidate) go at each other... one of their debates was a townhall style, but the same thing... threw out a question and they went at it, this is why both Cameron and the then PM were both almost defeated by the ringer candidate -- that guy was the superior debater of the three..... it is why the then PM lost that election, though -- he couldn't debate out of a paper sack and was as arrogant as we saw Obama the other night.  I hope the debate commission keeps this format.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »
I thought Lehrer did the best he could to help 0bama. One of 0bama's favorite tricks whenever he's asked a question is to make some outrageous claim about his opponent's position and then to mock that instead of answering the question. Lehrer phrased all of the questions as "What is the difference between you and your opponent....", which made 0bama's usual trick look responsive instead of nonsensical. And even with that set-up, he looked helpless and hapless.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  On the issues, this was the best Presidential debate I have ever seen, mainly because Lehrer let the Candidates talk about the topics.  It was amazing to see.  The side-by side on screen view with the original question below was an excellent way to frame the debate as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf