Author Topic: Matt Damon’s troubled anti-frack film  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Matt Damon’s troubled anti-frack film
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:51:59 am »
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/for_his_next_escape_x46uFSONrAaCey67ZzZV0I

Matt Damon’s troubled anti-frack film

By PHELIM MCALEER
    Last Updated: 12:23 AM, September 26, 2012
    Posted: 10:24 PM, September 25, 2012

Matt Damon and John Krasinski ran into a big problem while making their film “Promised Land”; how they solved it tells us a lot about Hollywood.

Some time ago, the two actors decided to make a movie about fracking — a method of getting once-inaccessible oil and gas out of the ground that has become the bête noire of many environmentalists.

The two wrote a screenplay they said was about “American identity . . . and what defines us as a country.”

It was the usual Hollywood script. We all know the . . . drill: Damon’s character works for an “evil” oil company. He comes to small-town America and sells locals a dangerous bill of goods.

Then he encounters two problems — his corporate heart is melted by an attractive local woman and Krasinki’s character, an environmentalist, reveals the oil company plan to exploit, pollute and leave.

Shocked townspeople feel betrayed. Damon is conflicted — will he go with the company and his career, or with his heart and ride back into town in his white SUV, denounce the oil company and save the day?

The filmmakers were so pleased with the script that they announced it would be promoted as a potential Oscar winner.

But then came trouble.

I broke the news that “Promised Land” was about fracking and now I can reveal that the script’s seen some very hasty rewriting because of real-world evidence that anti-fracking activists may be the true villains.

In courtroom after courtroom, it has been proved that anti-fracking activists have been guilty of fraud or misrepresentation.

There was Dimock, Pa. — the likely inspiration for “Promised Land,” which is also set in Pennsylvania. Dimock featured in countless news reports, with Hollywood celebrities even bringing water to 11 families who claimed fracking had destroyed their water and their lives.

But while “Promised Land” was in production, the story of Dimock collapsed. The state investigated and its scientists found nothing wrong. So the 11 families insisted EPA scientists investigate. They did — and much to the dismay of the environmental movement found the water was not contaminated.

There was Wolf Eagle Environmental Engineers in Texas, a group that produced a frightening video of a flaming house water pipe and claimed a gas company had polluted the water. But a judge just found that the tape was an outright fraud — Wolf Eagle connected the house gas pipe to a hose and lit the water.

Other “pollution” cases collapsed in Wyoming and Colorado. Even Josh Fox, who with his Oscar-nominated documentary “Gasland” first raised concerns about flammable water, has had to admit he withheld evidence that fracking was not responsible.

These frauds and misrepresentations created huge problems for the Damon/Krasinski script about “what defines us as a country.”

So, according to sources close to the movie, they’ve come up with a solution — suggest that anti-fracking fraudsters are really secret agents employed by the fossil-fuel industry to discredit the environmental movement.

In the revised script, Damon exposes Krasinski as a fraud — only to realize that Krasinski’s character is working deep undercover for the oil industry to smear fracking opponents.

Hollywood is worried about declining theater audiences; it’s blaming the Internet and the recession. But the real problem might be closer to home.

Damon and Krasinski said they were making a movie that “defines us as a country” but then shoehorned ideology into a script — and when real-world events became a problem, they shoehorned in more ideology.

The simple truth about fracking is that much of the opposition is being driven by proven liars, charlatans and fraudsters — some driven by zealotry, others by hunger to win a big lawsuit.

There is a war going on in parts of America between impoverished locals and urban elites. These elites are using fraud, exaggeration and celebrity star power to stop rural communities from prospering through gas drilling.

Sounds like a great setting for a movie. Unfortunately for America, it’s not one Hollywood is going to make anytime soon.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Re: Matt Damon’s troubled anti-frack film
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:44 pm »
Not only is there no evidence fracking is a public health problem, new technology may make the gas drilling process even safer by replacing water with CO2, thus decreasing the possibility of  trucks spilling waste water into streams.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ladybug

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:01 am »
Just hear the name Matt Damon and you know any movie he's in is on the lunitic fringe left hate America.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:32 am »
Just hear the name Matt Damon and you know any movie he's in is on the lunitic fringe left hate America.

Yep... and he and his compadres's don't care that the rest of us are spending a fortune on food and fuel because of their environmental stupidity... they have no concept of cost of living.  The other night I was watching the first Die Hard movie... want to guess what a gallon of fuel at a Shell station in downtown L.A. cost then???
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »
Buck and a quarter, I'll bet.   :pondering:

Californians have done that to themselves with all these special mixtures, but at least they've had the sense to allow some off-shore drilling.  I hope a Romney Presidency will allow for safe drilling rigs off the coast of the Carolinas and Virginia (with Gov. McDonnell's cooperation)...MUD

Nope.. Seventy Five Cents a gallon at a SHELL station in downtown LA (the suburbs would have been as much as ten cents less)  so in 1988 fuel was around .70  - .75 cents a gallon..  talk about inflation!

Offline ladybug

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »
I used to hand my daughter a 5 dollar bill and say fill up the tank. And the tank held 30 gallons.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:14:45 am »
I used to hand my daughter a 5 dollar bill and say fill up the tank. And the tank held 30 gallons.
Yes, I remember those days. I also remember when gas hit 99.9 and we were so appalled and outraged.

Thank goodness for the Kroger discounts - I was able to pay .20 per gallon less than the posted price today, so it was only $3.59 today.   8888crybaby
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org