Author Topic: The enthusiasm gap  (Read 741 times)

Offline pjohns

The enthusiasm gap
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »
The Republican electorate appears to be far more energized than its Democratic counterpart.

From Breitbart.com:

Yesterday, CBS/NYT released its latest Quinnipiac poll of Colorado, Virginia and Wisconsin. With the exception of CO, the polls had heavy Democrat skews, so the head-to-head match-ups aren't particularly informative. What was telling though was the differences in enthusiasm between the two parties.

In all three states, a majority of Republicans say they are more enthusiastic about voting this year, compared to about a third of Democrats who are. In Colorado and Virginia, GOP voters are more enthusiastic than Democrats by a 15 point margin. In Wisconsin, GOP enthusiasm outpaces Democrats by 16 points.

Particularly interesting is that GOP voters have become more enthusiastic about voting in the past month. GOP enthusiasm has increased 9 points in CO, 10 points in WI and 12 points in VA. Democrat enthusiasm, meanwhile has increased only modestly; 5 points in VA, 4 in WI and 10 in CO (from a very low 28% of Democrats who were more enthusiastic about voting).

If these trends continue, today's head-to-head numbers will be wildly off base, as the electorate this November will be very different than the one that voted in 2008.

Here is the link:  CBS Poll: GOP Has Huge Turnout Edge Over Dems

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: The enthusiasm gap
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »
I'm quite convinced that this election will not only not be like 2008, it won't be like almost any other election since at least FDR (and that one ended badly for the country).

Offline Right_in_Virginia

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
I'm quite convinced that this election will not only not be like 2008, it won't be like almost any other election since at least FDR (and that one ended badly for the country).

I'm afraid polling places are going to "run out of ballots". 
"January 20th 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."  --  President Donald J. Trump

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
I'm afraid polling places are going to "run out of ballots". 

Which is why we need as many poll watchers as we can muster this time around.  Unfortunately, it won't make much difference where I live - NYC is so far in the hole for the democrats that my vote for Romney/Ryan will be symbolic only - but in other cities and states it may be crucial that we have poll watchers at as many polling places as is humanly possible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf