Author Topic: 20,000 Marines to be cut, Pentagon announces  (Read 2000 times)

famousdayandyear

20,000 Marines to be cut, Pentagon announces
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:40:30 pm »
20,000 Marines to be cut, Pentagon announces

By Dan Lamothe - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Jan 26, 2012 13:45:08 EST

The Marine Corps will slash 20,000 Marines as part of Defense Department-wide budget cuts, reducing its end strength to about 182,000, top Pentagon officials announced Thursday.

The manpower reductions will leave the Corps smaller than Commandant Gen. Jim Amos advocated for over the last year, but larger than some defense analysts had projected. Top Marine officers said last year, following an extensive force structure review, that the Corps could maintain essential capabilities if it was reduced to 186,800 Marines. They later acknowledged cuts would likely be deeper.

The manpower cuts were outlined in documents obtained by Marine Corps Times and its sister publication, Defense News, ahead of a scheduled 2 p.m. press briefing at the Pentagon. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, spoke. The Army also will slash 80,000 soldiers, leaving about 490,000.

“We are at a strategic turning point after a decade of war and after a very substantial growth in the defense budget,” Panetta said.

The Marine Corps reduction will leave the service smaller than it has been since 2007, when there were about 180,000 Marines on active duty. Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced in December of that year that he wanted to grow the service by an additional 22,000 Marines and make permanent a 5,000-troop increase he already had approved for the Corps as the U.S. fought wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Still, many analysts had predicted that the Corps would face deeper cuts. There were about 173,000 Marines on active-duty in 2001 during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and it was widely speculated that the service would be reduced to about that size. Avoiding that fate will be greeted as a victory by some advocates of the Corps.

What wasn’t immediately clear is how the Corps will cut the additional 4,800 Marines to drop below the 186,800 end strength it had planned for in the force structure review. That study, released in March, called for a 13 percent drop in ground combat forces, a 16 percent drop in fixed-wing tactical aviation squadrons, a 9 percent drop in logistics, a 7 percent drop in Marines assigned to non-operational jobs and a 12 percent cut to its civilian work force.

In December, the Corps released additional details on how it would cut 15,000 Marines over four years, while warning that more cuts were likely. The deepest reductions in that plan affected the East Coast, with II Marine Expeditionary Force, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., losing about 7,000 Marines from its ground, aviation and logistics communities.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/01/marine-20000-marines-to-be-cut-012612/

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: 20,000 Marines to be cut, Pentagon announces
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »
Well, that should just about take out the rest of the foreign service.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

Carnack says....."I see a military draft coming down the pike!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »
BHO has said that military personnel were exempt....this is date Jan 2012.....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »
BHO has said that military personnel were exempt....this is date Jan 2012.....

Yes--thanks for the heads up.  Call my cynical, but I don't believe him. :patriot:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:33:28 pm »
Yeah it's old news....we need to keep all this info re military current..

...and yeah..BHO is a known liar and we can't trust a thing he says..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:40 pm »
I'll refer back to the "Obama up by 5 in Virginia" post.  There is a tremendous military presence in Virginia.  Not just military bases, but military industry with the naval shipyards.  These thousands of "middle class" workers are paying attention to who is cutting military spending.  They are watching, as well as the thousands of workers in specialty machine shops and support industries in the Hampton Roads area.  These guys are often small business owners.  I don't work in military, but I work with these people in machine shops for my job.  I'll just say that I haven't seen many 0bama2012 bumper stickers around their parking lots.

Maybe it's the circles I travel in, but I just can't see Zero ahead in VA.

"Any act of government must necessarily reduce freedom" - Thomas Sowell