Author Topic: Three reasons Clint Eastwood worked for Republicans  (Read 3466 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Three reasons Clint Eastwood worked for Republicans
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »

Support the USO

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
Re: Three reasons Clint Eastwood worked for Republicans
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »
From the perspective of the common man, I think Eastwood was far, far more effective than the same amount of time devoted to a slick, public relations film treatment of "Romney, the Man."
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
I loved it!  I laughed through the whole thing... I "got" it...

One of the things I posted on the CNN Clint Eastwood thread was the people who work for the networks really, really, need to get out of NYC and DC and meet some real, honest to God AMERICANS because more and more their coverage shows how little they really understand the country they keep reporting on.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
Clint has certainly created a buzz, hasn't he?  I wish we could have watched Mitt in the Green Room as Clint was on.  I'll bet a lot of "uh-oh" was crossing his mind.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
Clint has certainly created a buzz, hasn't he?  I wish we could have watched Mitt in the Green Room as Clint was on.  I'll bet a lot of "uh-oh" was crossing his mind.

I am not yet on the Romney bandwagon, but I think Romney is comfortable enough in his own skin to have been fine with it.  Big time CEO's know how to delegate, and when you trust someone like Eastwood to deliver at a time like this, I think you have pretty much already calculated the risk and decided to go with the flow. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »

Clint did what we needed him to do... he got to Obama...  and he was one of the few people in the country who could get away with saying those things.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
so much for any shred of unbiased media!

Howard Fineman Howard Fineman ?@howardfineman

Dems need to hammer Ryan fast and prove clearly that he is a liar because he is a very skilled pol.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
This from MSN:

That tells me one thing beyond the shadow of a doubt...Eastwood got under Obama's skin.

I went to Obama's Twitter page and located his Tweet and replied:

"Eastwood's empty chair had more substance."

I was quickly blocked.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline BLC

• True Blue Liberty
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
Okay, while I believe Clint was incongruent with the rest of the evening, you all enjoyed it and had fun.  I respect that. 
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
Eastwood's appearance amounted to a waste of time.    He burned up 15 minutes, and Romney's speech ran over out of prime time by 15 minutes.

In other words, the RNC could have cut Clint and not missed a thing.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
Eastwood's appearance amounted to a waste of time.    He burned up 15 minutes, and Romney's speech ran over out of prime time by 15 minutes.

Gotta disagree with you on this one.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »

He was allotted 5 minutes and took 12.  It also took a bite out of Rubio's impact. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:54 PM »
He was allotted 5 minutes and took 12.  It also took a bite out of Rubio's impact.

The more I read and see on the Web, the more I'm coming around to thinking that the  Eastwood thing left us with one good symbol:

The empty chair.

Let's see how that plays out over the next two months.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
It also gave us a new saying:  "Eastwooding"  and Obama with his thin skin played right in to it with the picture he tweeted out sitting in his chair that said "The President"  would have been better if he had done or said nothing - which he is incapable of doing.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
The more I read and see on the Web, the more I'm coming around to thinking that the  Eastwood thing left us with one good symbol:

The empty chair.

Let's see how that plays out over the next two months.

Now that I do agree with, and I think that was the ultimate point - getting that empty chair stuck in everyone's mind.  And just like with the tax returns hoo-ha, the more the democrats complain and try to belittle it, the more firmly entrenched it becomes in the publics' mind.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »
I will say this - an American icon took one of the biggest stages anywhere and mocked Obama.  That pierced the veil of Obama being untouchable.  Kind of like when Spartan King Leonidas' spear disfigured the face of the Persian God-King Xerxes. 

And yes, the empty chair is a symbol of that.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:10:45 AM by Lando Lincoln »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf