Author Topic: The Comeback Cabinet  (Read 10857 times)

Offline Saltbag

Re: The Comeback Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 01:31:53 am »
Veteran's Affairs:  Gary Sinese

I stick by my "get rid of that" proposal, but Gary Sinese would be well embraced.
"Any act of government must necessarily reduce freedom" - Thomas Sowell

Offline evadR

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 03:16:26 am »
I stick by my "get rid of that" proposal, but Gary Sinise would be well embraced.
Veteran's Affairs should have a high position in government....not Cabinet but prominent.
Gary Sinise is a true patriot and would indeed be welcomed.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 03:17:49 am »
Veteran's Affairs should have a high position in government....not Cabinet but prominent.
Gary Sinise is a true patriot and would indeed be welcomed.

We almost lost him a couple of months ago -- on his way to play a gig for the military in DC he was rear-ended in his taxi... they played it down, but turned out that he was injured much worse than the news reports put out at the time.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline evadR

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:39 am »
We almost lost him a couple of months ago -- on his way to play a gig for the military in DC he was rear-ended in his taxi... they played it down, but turned out that he was injured much worse than the news reports put out at the time.
Yes..that was a close one.
Hate to lose this guy.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 03:39:08 am »
Yes..that was a close one.
Hate to lose this guy.

Same here... I'm watching him right now ~LOL~
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline My2Cents

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 05:02:37 am »
Liz Cheney or David Petraeus as Secty. of State; Rudy as AG; Victor Davis Hanson as Secty. of Defense (kind of kidding here, but that choice would be intriguing), or more realistically Raymond Orierno (who took over for Petraeus in Iraq); Shelby Steele as Secty. of HHS. Then I'd get rid of Commerce, Labor, Agriculture, Homeland Security, Education, HUD. These are departments that either serve no purpose, or are colossal failures. I'd name a libertarian as Secty. of Treasury, but not Ron Paul.  Rand maybe?  The rest I'd need to think about.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »
bump for more input

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:14 am »
I nominate Steve Forbes for Secretary of the Treasury and Rick Santelli for Fed Chief.  I'd get rid of the Department of Commerce.  Agree with Bolton for Secretary of State.  Bring Homeland Security under the Department of Justice and make Rudy Giuliani the Attorney General.  Agree with West for Defense.  Get rid of all the other departments and cabinet posts.

I have to go with yours as best picks, IMO.   LOVE the Forbes suggestion--I never thought of him, and Steve Forbes was my dream candidate when he was running.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 01:36:22 am »
I have to go with yours as best picks, IMO.   LOVE the Forbes suggestion--I never thought of him, and Steve Forbes was my dream candidate when he was running.

Mine, too.  Great minds think alike, or maybe it's because we have the same birthday, along with Paul Ryan.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 01:40:08 am »
Mine, too.  Great minds think alike, or maybe it's because we have the same birthday, along with Paul Ryan.

DAng so that is the answer to the question....LOL :silly:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 05:13:12 am »
This went well.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:43 am »
This went well.

LOL
Maybe it is too early :shrug:

Oceander

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:17 pm »
This went well.

You expected anything less?

Offline evadR

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »
This went well.
Actually, I thought it did. Some good info, some thoughtful responses, some humor...
don't be disappointed if some people (including myself) responded that half the positions should be abolished. It's a perfectly logical response.
All in all, a good thread.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
Actually, I thought it did. Some good info, some thoughtful responses, some humor...
don't be disappointed if some people (including myself) responded that half the positions should be abolished. It's a perfectly logical response.
All in all, a good thread.

Yes, I agree with your position as well. It would be interesting to redo the contest only include a "Abolish or consolidate" in the terms of the contest.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:39 pm »
Yes, I agree with your position as well. It would be interesting to redo the contest only include a "Abolish or consolidate" in the terms of the contest.

It would be an interesting, albeit meaningless exercise.

The current structure of our government, and the Cabinet, will change slightly at best short of a revolution.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline evadR

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »
It would be an interesting, albeit meaningless exercise.

The current structure of our government, and the Cabinet, will change slightly at best short of a revolution.
True...but...Put Ron Paul in charge of any department that has long since outlived its usefulness and he'll do his damndest to trim it back severely. That's the best we can realistically hope for.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »
Bring Homeland Security under the Department of Justice and make Rudy Giuliani the Attorney General.
Excellent.   :patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 08:41:31 pm »
I would like to tie Homeland Security, The FBI and The CIA tied together at the top.
Put Rudy at the top of the whole bunch.
I'm tired of this bunch screwing with our security over their own territorial squabbles.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »
Homeland Scrutiny is one of those horribly expensive Federal ideas that went terribly wrong from the start, and now requires untold billions to try and fix the original flaws.  Of course once the new Administration takes over the reform and reset buttons will get pushed together and we will be off to even more expensive fixes.

Much of the Federal Government functions this way which is why we really do need someone to start chopping.  The Department of Education is another good candidate.  Imagine spending that money on actual school buildings and textbooks instead of lining the pockets of the National Teachers Unions.

And so forth, and so on. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:43 pm »
Homeland Scrutiny is one of those horribly expensive Federal ideas that went terribly wrong from the start, and now requires untold billions to try and fix the original flaws.  Of course once the new Administration takes over the reform and reset buttons will get pushed together and we will be off to even more expensive fixes.

Much of the Federal Government functions this way which is why we really do need someone to start chopping.  The Department of Education is another good candidate.  Imagine spending that money on actual school buildings and textbooks instead of lining the pockets of the National Teachers Unions.

And so forth, and so on.

Well if a person went back and pulled my posts at the time I was against Homeland Security from the get-go... never made sense to me that bigger was better or more efficient, I learned very long ago in business it is quite the opposite.

Offline evadR

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:52 pm »

And so forth, and so on.
DOEd would be my First choice for the ax.
DOEn would be my Second choice.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:12 pm »

And so forth, and so on.
Amazingly, Homeland Security consisted of no new government programs at the time it was created-- only a reorganization of existing ones. How it could get so far out of hand, I have no idea.

As far as consolidating/reorganizing cabinets...

Commerce and Labor are two sides of the same coin. Their operations should probably be better placed together so that we have less chance of contradicting ourselves.

Most of Energy's duties can be covered under the Interior Dept., as can most of Transportation and Agriculture except for the food-stamp program. Yes, it'd make this department much bigger, but the tasks of the Interior Department have been divided up quite heavily as it is.

Same with Veterans Affairs and Defense. The military should be responsible for its own veterans.

Place NASA, NOAA, NIST, the CDC and the like into a Department of the Sciences. It would be the only "new" cabinet position I would create; most of them are under other cabinet departments as it is but are mostly out of place. It only makes sense to have as much of the scientific research we are doing to be put under one umbrella instead of the numerous ones we have now.

Consolidate HHS's remaining operations, insert the Food Stamp and welfare programs, and establish them as the Department of Entitlements. Then people would truly see how much of our federal budget goes to their actions-- it would be pretty close to half the entire budget.

Abolish HUD and Education. Move the Pell grants to Department of Entitlements.

So, we'll then have (in preferred order): State, Treasury, Justice, Defense and Military Affairs, Homeland Security, Interior, Commerce, Sciences, and Entitlements.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline evadR

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:41 am »
Amazingly, Homeland Security consisted of no new government programs at the time it was created-- only a reorganization of existing ones. How it could get so far out of hand, I have no idea.

As far as consolidating/reorganizing cabinets...

Commerce and Labor are two sides of the same coin. Their operations should probably be better placed together so that we have less chance of contradicting ourselves.

Most of Energy's duties can be covered under the Interior Dept., as can most of Transportation and Agriculture except for the food-stamp program. Yes, it'd make this department much bigger, but the tasks of the Interior Department have been divided up quite heavily as it is.

Same with Veterans Affairs and Defense. The military should be responsible for its own veterans.

Place NASA, NOAA, NIST, the CDC and the like into a Department of the Sciences. It would be the only "new" cabinet position I would create; most of them are under other cabinet departments as it is but are mostly out of place. It only makes sense to have as much of the scientific research we are doing to be put under one umbrella instead of the numerous ones we have now.

Consolidate HHS's remaining operations, insert the Food Stamp and welfare programs, and establish them as the Department of Entitlements. Then people would truly see how much of our federal budget goes to their actions-- it would be pretty close to half the entire budget.

Abolish HUD and Education. Move the Pell grants to Department of Entitlements.

So, we'll then have (in preferred order): State, Treasury, Justice, Defense and Military Affairs, Homeland Security, Interior, Commerce, Sciences, and Entitlements.
It's a good start.

Online Allegra

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:49 am »
I would like to tie Homeland Security, The FBI and The CIA tied together at the top.
Put Rudy at the top of the whole bunch.
I'm tired of this bunch screwing with our security over their own territorial squabbles.

And abolish the BATF.  It's a redundant agency.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.