Author Topic: Low-carb diet gets more support from new analysis  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Low-carb diet gets more support from new analysis
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:37:30 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-08-30/low-carb-diet/57444292/1

Low-carb diet gets more support from new analysis
By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY
Updated 3d 19h ago

By Michael A. Schwarz, USA TODAY

A new review of studies finds benefits in having a low-carb diet that includes meat consumption.

A review of 17 different studies that followed a total of 1,141 obese patients on low-carb eating plans — some were similar to the Atkins diet — found that dieters lost an average of almost 18 pounds in six months to a year.

Overall, participants had improvements in their waist circumference, blood pressure, triglycerides (blood fats), fasting blood sugar, C-reactive protein (another heart disease risk factor) as well as an increase in HDL (good) cholesterol. LDL (bad) cholesterol did not change significantly.

"These improvements occurred during weight loss which is known to lead to some of these changes," says William Yancy, an associate professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center and a researcher who worked on the analysis. It's being published in the journal Obesity Reviews.

Yancy has done several previous studies on the Atkins diet, including some that were funded by the Atkins Foundation. A low-carb diet is a reasonable one to follow to lose weight and improve heart disease risk factors, he says.

Low-carb eating plans slash the consumption of breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, cakes, cookies and some fruits and starchy vegetables while beefing up intake of fish, chicken, beef, eggs, butter, cheese and some vegetables and fruits.

Gary Foster, director of the Center for Obesity Research and Education at Temple University in Philadelphia, echoed Yancy's observation. "A lot of these favorable effects are due to the weight loss itself, not to the specific diet, with the exception of HDL, which does seem to have more favorable improvements on the low-carb diet."

He wasn't involved in this analysis but did research comparing a low-carb diet and a low-calorie, reduced-fat diet and found both produce similar weight loss and improvements in health measures.

"We have passed the time where we would say the Atkins diet is bad for you. That's an outdated position," Foster says. "This is a viable alternative for weight loss."

Robert Atkins, a cardiologist, published his first book on the diet in 1972. The revised version, called Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, was a best seller two decades later. He died in April 2003 after a fall.

Nutrition experts have long favored a more conventional diet, which reduces the overall amount of calories and fat while allowing a wide variety of foods.

One small study published recently found that dieters who were trying to maintain their weight loss burned significantly more calories — about 300 more a day — eating a low-carb diet than they did eating a low-fat diet.

About two-thirds of people in this country are overweight or obese, which increases the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, many types of cancer and other chronic illnesses.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Saltbag

Re: Low-carb diet gets more support from new analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I did the Atkins diet with a friend of mine about 10 years ago.  Days 1-4 no weight lost.  Days 5-10, lost 16 pounds.  Day 11, called in sick to work.  Day 12, ate a plate of pasta the size of a Bridgestone All-Weather Radial Tire and felt much better.

That diet just isn't right.
"Any act of government must necessarily reduce freedom" - Thomas Sowell

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:27 am »
I've been on a semi-Atkins diet for 15 years.  I limit starchy carbs, drink a little wine, eat lots of meat and salads.  Eggs and bacon for breakfast.

My weight has varied six or eight pounds up or down.  I got rid of my cholesterol medicine, but am still on a mild diuretic.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51:26 am »
I just go by the no processed carbs deal if I'm in it to keep weight under control. 

No bleached flour, no white rice, no sugar, etc. 

I still eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, wood chips, 40 grit wheat toast, mulch, potatoes, oats, and lentils.  Organic stuff.

I think it makes a difference as a livable alternative to zero carbs.
"Any act of government must necessarily reduce freedom" - Thomas Sowell

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
yah.....well I make sure I get a regular dose of low-carb sour mash whiskey and that seems to do me more good than anything else these days.....

:beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:16:48 am »
I have come to the conclusion that we all have slightly different needs in our diets... but for the most part I have long followed shopping the outside aisles of the market (long before mooshell advocated it) and a low carb diet.  I could never be a vegan, I do not feel good at all the next day if I have not had protein for dinner the night before (aka a large salad vs a meat and vegie dinner)... I do eat some carbs, but not a lot... I did have an ear of corn with my baked chicken tonight... I love corn on the cob the "new" microwave method that swept the internet this summer... never had such good corn...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:21:36 am »
Some carbs are necessary for a good diet; what should be avoided (as has already been mentioned) is the bad carbs such as white bread and processed sugar or corn syrup.

Too much protein is also not a good thing as it is hard on the kidneys.  Basically it's all about balance.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 04:05:01 am »
yah.....well I make sure I get a regular dose of low-carb sour mash whiskey and that seems to do me more good than anything else these days.....

Now all we need is a smiley for that shot!