Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 499343 times)

Offline Chasaway

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #1050 on: September 24, 2016, 08:33:31 pm »
Just an FYI for you @Chasaway and anyone that may not know, dogs should not be taken on long monotonous runs  before they are at least 18 months old.  That is the age where their growth plates are closed and they won't damage their growth patterns or growing bones.  Regular dog-type running, chasing ball, squirrels, etc is of course fine.  It's the long distance with rarely a pause or change in direction or pace that can cause damage.  Also, several friends in the dock diving world tell me that there is a high injury rate with dock diving. You wouldn't think it, but things get stretched, twisted, etc and they find their dogs start getting a little hitch in their giddyup that is easily taken care of with some chiropractic or, if you ask your vet about it they probably call it "VOM" veterinary orthopedic manipulation.

First of all, I don't do long monotonous runs! Mainly, 'cause I can't do 'em. LOL.

We walk if we do anything. The cool thing is that Seamus is better behaved off leash than most of the other dogs in the neighborhood are ON leash. He's terrific at heeling and if he's a long way from me a "Seamus! Stay!" command will drop him to a down position. Then he'll stay there until I release him. I've had him 100 yards away and a car appears to be heading our way and I'll drop him like that.

Re deck diving: Well, I hope I haven't broken him, but he's been running off the deck and swimming since he was 3 months old. I haven't seen any issues, so far.

Swimming and retrieving are far and away his favorite things. All I've got to say is, "Seamus. Do you want to go swimming?" and he goes nuclear! He rings the bell on the door like it'll give him some crack. Once we're out on the deck, he opens the bin where the dummies are and gets one out. When we're through, I tell him, "Put it back!" and he brings the dummy to the bin and drops it in.

If we're going for a walk, I'll say, "Seamus. Do you wanna go for a walk?" and he goes crazy. "Leash, Seamus. Get your leash!", I'll say, and he'll go dig his leash out and bring it to me. Then, he'll sit until I get his leash on him. Usually, I only have him on leash for the first minute or so, to make sure he's still dialed in on following instruction.

The long monotonous thing is no problem. The deck diving he's gonna do. 'course now, he's over 1 1/2 years old.

I love the input, though. He's so eager, I'll work with him on almost anything. Maybe stuff that's not so good for him.

Love ya, Roos!
"That's all I can stands; I can't stands n' more!"

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #1051 on: September 24, 2016, 08:36:29 pm »
@chaseaway

What a wonderful looking dog!  My favorite breed is the Lab and the Choc is by far my favorite color!

Thank you. He's gorgeous. And he's got those soulful eyes....

He's my running buddy. Goes with me where I go.

I wish I could get him certified as a Service Dog and take him in stores with me.

Total chick magnet. I'm happily married, but it's still fun!

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #1052 on: September 24, 2016, 08:41:20 pm »
@Chasaway

Wonderful pics of your sweet dog.

He IS sweet, too! He has such a gentle spirit. When I've got any treats or something special in my hand, he sniffs it and VERY gently takes it from me. It's kind of amazing. It's like he's thinking about stuff on a different level.

For example, we have a bell hung off of our back door that he rings when he needs to go out. If we're right there, he'll just go over and sit and look at it. If we're watching a show on TV or something, he'll just tap it...barely making a sound. If we're in another room, he'll ring it loudly. It's cool and kind of amazing.

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #1053 on: September 24, 2016, 08:46:28 pm »
Oh...I love your dog.  I have a chocolate lab, too.

Ahhhh...I love him, too!

So much.

It seems there's nothing he won't do to make me happy. I hate it when I have to go places he can't go with me.

I've had lots of dogs over the years, but there's something very special about this guy.

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #1054 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:54 pm »
He looks special.  He has the absolutely sweetest eyes and expression on his face.  I am prejudice.  He looks a lot like my dog only my dog is fatter, has longer hair and shorter ears.  Other than that they are twins.  Same eye color and sweet look.

I had a black lab for years and she was a darling. But there's something special about this guy. There's a whole different level of intelligence.  As weird as it sounds, we have a real connection somehow.

We just got back from taking him swimming. While he's outside drying off, I miss him. He's a dog! And I still miss his company.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1055 on: September 24, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »
I think I've lost my kitty.
She squirted out the door a few nights ago when I was on my way to work and I haven't seen her since.  8888crybaby

Oh I hope not.  A couple of weeks ago Pyewacket got out and the bad news came in a call from our vet.  At least with the chip I know what happened.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1056 on: September 25, 2016, 01:05:11 am »
Oh I hope not.  A couple of weeks ago Pyewacket got out and the bad news came in a call from our vet.  At least with the chip I know what happened.

So sorry for your loss.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1057 on: September 25, 2016, 01:26:28 am »
First of all, I don't do long monotonous runs! Mainly, 'cause I can't do 'em. LOL.

We walk if we do anything. The cool thing is that Seamus is better behaved off leash than most of the other dogs in the neighborhood are ON leash. He's terrific at heeling and if he's a long way from me a "Seamus! Stay!" command will drop him to a down position. Then he'll stay there until I release him. I've had him 100 yards away and a car appears to be heading our way and I'll drop him like that.

Re deck diving: Well, I hope I haven't broken him, but he's been running off the deck and swimming since he was 3 months old. I haven't seen any issues, so far.

Swimming and retrieving are far and away his favorite things. All I've got to say is, "Seamus. Do you want to go swimming?" and he goes nuclear! He rings the bell on the door like it'll give him some crack. Once we're out on the deck, he opens the bin where the dummies are and gets one out. When we're through, I tell him, "Put it back!" and he brings the dummy to the bin and drops it in.

If we're going for a walk, I'll say, "Seamus. Do you wanna go for a walk?" and he goes crazy. "Leash, Seamus. Get your leash!", I'll say, and he'll go dig his leash out and bring it to me. Then, he'll sit until I get his leash on him. Usually, I only have him on leash for the first minute or so, to make sure he's still dialed in on following instruction.

The long monotonous thing is no problem. The deck diving he's gonna do. 'course now, he's over 1 1/2 years old.

I love the input, though. He's so eager, I'll work with him on almost anything. Maybe stuff that's not so good for him.

Love ya, Roos!

Sometimes I am hesitant passing on the info I have learned over the years because people think I am accusing them, but some of the things most normal pet owners don't know.  For whatever reason their vets don't tell them and I think that's horrible.  But, for me it isn't about accusing anyone, just passing on information that sometimes I have learned the hard way and hope for other people to avoid it.  So, I am glad that you are open to the info. I reserved the more controversial stuff; vaccinations, nail clipping, feeding, finding a reputable breeder. :)

Sounds like you have a wonderful boy.  Have you tried clicker training with him?  I bet you'd have even more success with him than you've already had using that technique.  You might give it a try if there's something you're stuck on with him or just want to take it to the next level.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1058 on: September 25, 2016, 02:35:39 am »

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #1059 on: September 25, 2016, 10:36:15 am »
Have you tried clicker training with him?

Absolutely! Within a few days of his 6 week birthday, I was using it. At that point, I was just getting him associated with it and expected behavior. It's worked really well with him.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1060 on: September 25, 2016, 06:27:26 pm »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #1061 on: December 25, 2016, 08:21:16 pm »

Our Papilion RIO wondering if Santa is coming back with more.

On a sadder note its a year in January since we said goodbye to Takara our Shiba Inu. My heart still breaks.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Wingnut

« Reply #1062 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:58 pm »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1063 on: December 30, 2016, 02:08:56 pm »
Bowser is wearing the cone of shame for the next several days.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1064 on: December 30, 2016, 04:14:42 pm »
Bowser is wearing the cone of shame for the next several days.

Oh, no!  What happened?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1065 on: December 30, 2016, 04:18:53 pm »
I had a roommate in college who had birds.  One weekend she stayed at her boyfriend's place, who lived in the same apartment complex as we did.  She had an african grey and a green amazon and frequently left them on huge perches they had built for them.  So, this weekend early morning the green started screeching its fool head off and my room was on the other side of the wall from where its perch was. I picked something up off my nightstand and threw it at the wall.  The loud bang startled the bird and it flew down off its perch.  By the time I got up and went out in the main room the bird had climbed up on to rocking chair she had and ripped as much of the fabric and foam off it as it could.  On a different occasion, roommate again was not home, the grey was down on the floor looking up at its perch walking back and forth like it wanted up there and couldn't make it.  I put my hand down and it walked over and climbed on, I put it back on its perch.  It put one foot on the perch and had one on me and reached down and bit the hand it was standing on.  So, my introduction to living with birds was not ideal.

To me, one of the Great Questions of Life is "Why would anybody keep a bird as a pet?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1066 on: December 30, 2016, 04:23:26 pm »
Oh, no!  What happened?

He's got a fungus growing on his belly and the constant licking is only spreading it.

I'm treating it with a weak boric acid solution.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1067 on: December 30, 2016, 04:39:33 pm »
He's got a fungus growing on his belly and the constant licking is only spreading it.

That should do it, but if it's stubborn you can hit it with some Hydrocortizone. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1068 on: December 30, 2016, 04:47:26 pm »
That should do it, but if it's stubborn you can hit it with some Hydrocortizone.

Mine got a scratch on his eye on Christmas eve, and we have been treating it.  Thought he was going to lose it, but the vet says may not. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1069 on: December 30, 2016, 04:53:04 pm »
Mine got a scratch on his eye on Christmas eve, and we have been treating it.  Thought he was going to lose it, but the vet says may not.

8888crybaby
I will NOT comply.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1070 on: December 30, 2016, 05:05:39 pm »

Poor fella... I hope it clears up soon.
Let it burn.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #1071 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:58 pm »

@Wingnut
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....  I dang near spit out my coke.

Happy New Years to you wingnut.

Wingnut

« Reply #1072 on: December 30, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »
@Wingnut
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....  I dang near spit out my coke.

Happy New Years to you wingnut.

@mrpotatohead   Same to you and yours! 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1073 on: December 30, 2016, 07:24:05 pm »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1074 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:10 pm »
Sticker guy had 1 stinkin job.