Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Atlas Shrugged
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:09:14 am »
I might try to compile timely quotes from Atlas Shrugged.  I say might because it could prove challenging.  Here is the first one:

“He didn’t invent iron ore and blast furnaces, did he?”

“Who?”

“Rearden. He didn’t invent smelting and chemistry and air compression. He couldn’t have invented his Metal but for thousands and thousands of other people. His Metal! Why does he think it’s his? Why does he think it’s his invention? Everybody uses the work of everybody else. Nobody ever invents anything.”

She said, puzzled, “But the iron ore and all those other things were there all the time. Why didn’t anybody else make that Metal, but Mr. Rearden did?”
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

Re: Atlas Shrugged
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:22:22 am »
Quite apropos of Mr. Obama's recent putdown of private business.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:03 am »
I might try to compile timely quotes from Atlas Shrugged.  I say might because it could prove challenging. 

A noble (entertaining and informative) undertaking on your part--since the book is practically a bible for those of us on the right.  Gee, it's been years since I first read Atlas Shrugged.

I think you've inspired me to tackle it once again, Lando.  Because, as Ocean said, the book's philosophical underpinning is so especially relevant today.  From Wiki:

"The book explores a dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and go on strike."

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:22:32 pm »
I have been away from computers and have been unable to post.  I will reconnect better next week!
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”

From Atlas Shrugged
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:44:27 pm »
I have been away from computers and have been unable to post.  I will reconnect better next week!

Hurry back!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »
John Steinbeck