Author Topic: Umpire Ejected Organist for Playing "Three Blind Mice"  (Read 1804 times)

famousdayandyear

Umpire Ejected Organist for Playing "Three Blind Mice"
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:32 pm »

Filed under
Radio.com - Sports, Sports, Syndicated Sports, Syndication   
Related tags

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/02/derek-dye-intern-ejected-by-umpire-for-playing-three-blind-mice/

By Spike Eskin

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Derek Dye is spending the summer before his senior year at the University of Illinois interning for the Daytona Cubs. If an internship is supposed to offer you real world experience, Dye’s experience on Wednesday night was proof.

Dye was being given the chance to run the organ music during Wednesday night’s game. There was a questionable call at first base. “Looked like our first baseman caught it, and then lost it on the transfer. So you figure the call would be out,” Dye told 94WIP’s Marc Farzetta.

So Dye thought he’d have a little fun. “I played “Three Blind Mice,” knew organ tone, no lyrics, just the organ,” he said. “And then, within about four or five seconds of the song playing, the home plate umpire looks up, yells as loud as he can, ‘you’re gone!’” The home plate umpire had tossed Dye from the game.

“He’s in here a lot. He knows what music we play. He points directly at me, throws me out of the game,” he said. “I took my hat off, scratched my head, I couldn’t believe he was talking to me. Not the manager, the guy arguing the call, the guy pressing the button on the music.”

“Interns getting ejected has got to be a first,” Dye said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0GrJoBBzs&feature=player_embedded

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Umpire Ejected Organist for Playing "Three Blind Mice"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:57:55 pm »
Classic American baseball.  The lesson is: don't piss off the Umpire...

:beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:33:21 am »
He's in pretty elite company: this has only happened twice before: Lambert Bartak of Omaha had it happen in 1988 and Wilbur Snapp was ejected in 1985.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:40:27 am »
He's in pretty elite company: this has only happened twice before: Lambert Bartak of Omaha had it happen in 1988 and Wilbur Snapp was ejected in 1985.

Whoa jmy.  A brand new baseball stat!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:02:59 am »
Umpire seems very touchy.   LOL!

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:40:52 am »
Those are two excellent names.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org