Author Topic: 10 things to know about Rafalca  (Read 1617 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
10 things to know about Rafalca
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:41:03 pm »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79318.html?hp=l7

By MACKENZIE WEINGER | 8/2/12 10:00 AM EDT

Ann Romney’s horse Rafalca, who is hoping to bring home the gold as part of the U.S. dressage team, had her London Olympics debut Thursday. Get to know the dancing horse:

1.Rafalca, a 15-year-old Oldenburg mare, was born in Germany in 1997 and purchased by Ann Romney, Amy Ebeling and Beth Meyer in 2006.

2. Rafalca’s dad, or sire, is Argentinius, and her dam is Ratine. Rafalca’s breeder was Erwin Risch Menslage.

3. Inspired Stephen Colbert to declare dressage the Colbert Report’s “Sport of the Summer.”

4. Rider Jan Ebeling and his wife Amy own and run a training and sales facility called The Acres in Moorpark, Calif. According to Ebeling’s United States Equestrian Federation biography, “Ebeling and Rafalca also enjoy relaxing on the trails by their farm.”

5. Has her own clothing line. Supporters can purchase a hat or t-shirts that say “USA 2012/I horsed it!/Rafalca” and “USA London/Rafalca/Ebeling 2012.” A percentage of proceeds will benefit Therapeutic Riding.

6. Refused a command in the ring during the 2009 Dressage World Cup Finals in Las Vegas. “People said later they thought it was the smoke in the air or the judge in the white outfit or the noise or the photographers or the lighting — everybody had a reason for her refusal. I never knew what it was and I don’t really care. My horse shied and refused to go — end of story,” Ebeling wrote in “Dressage Today.”

7. Has danced in freestyle competitions to music from the films “The Mission” and “Rainman” — thanks to Mitt Romney. Ann Romney told Dressage-News.com, “Mitt picked the music… that was his contribution, and we love it.”

8. Ranked 69th in the world, according to the FEI World Individual Dressage Ranking.

9. Shipped to London along with other Team USA horses on a FedEx plane on July 9.

10. This is Rafalca’s first Olympics.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

Re: 10 things to know about Rafalca
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »
Beautiful horse.  Politico (and Move-on.org) are really reaching!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:31:51 pm »
Horses trained for dressage, as well as cutting horses, demonstrate their innate intelligence.  They are incredible to watch.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 06:33:42 pm »
Horses trained for dressage, as well as cutting horses, demonstrate their innate intelligence.  They are incredible to watch.

I know, I used to watch them every Fall at the LA County Fair.... and when I was a kid spending my summers in Texas we used to attend the Rodeo, the horses in Rodeo are amazing animals, too.. the intelligence of horses is really amazing to me...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776