Author Topic: Will Ferrell on tax rate for wealthy: ‘I would actually raise the taxes to about 75 percent’ [VIDEO]  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/01/will-ferrell-on-tax-rate-for-wealthy-i-would-actually-raise-the-taxes-to-about-75-percent-video/

Will Ferrell on tax rate for wealthy: ‘I would actually raise the taxes to about 75 percent’ [VIDEO]
1:11 PM 08/01/2012

WASHINGTON – Hollywood actor Will Ferrell weighed in on the federal tax debate during an interview with The Daily Caller at a screening of his new political comedy “The Campaign.”

TheDC asked Ferrell, who co-hosted a $35,800 per ticket fundraiser for President Barack Obama in February, for his thoughts on Obama’s proposed elimination of Bush-era tax breaks for individuals making over $200,000 per year.

“I think that – I would actually raise the taxes to about 75 percent,” Ferrell said at the screening in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday night.

“75 percent – you don’t think that would hurt the economy?” TheDC inquired.

“No, no, no,” Ferrell replied.

“That’s how much you would pay from your income personally?”

Ferrell, who co-founded FunnyOrDie.com and a production company called “Gary Sanchez Productions,” responded, “No, no, no, I have all of my money in my mattress.”

Whether Ferrell was joking or not, the tax rate for the top income bracket in the United States was 77 percent in 1964. According to the National Taxpayers Union, the rate remained in the 70s until 1981, when former President Ronald Reagan and Congress reduced the rate, which dipped to 28 percent by the completion of Reagan’s second term in 1989.

Ferrell, who plays Congressman Cam Brady in the film, appeared at the screening with co-star Zach Galifianakis, who plays congressional candidate Marty Huggins.

Reporters on the red carpet were not able to acquire tickets to the screening of the film, but The New York Times reports that Ferrell’s character is modeled after a “Blue Dog Democrat” and Galifianakis is “more or less a Tea Party-style Republican.”

The film opens in theaters on August 10.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I think Will Ferrell is one of the most over-rated actor/comedians ever!  I'm not just saying that because of this quote of his - but I have never gone to a movie of his that didn't stink on ice.  I guess his kind of humor must appeal to someone - but I don't get it.  I do think he was trying to be funny here - to say something outrageous to get extra publicity for his new movie (which no doubt stinks too) - so I don't think he means what he said one little bit.  That's the way these celebrities do - the more over-the-top statements they can make, the more they can get media coverage. 

I think if they really did raise tax rates that high - he would flee to Canada or somewhere so fast - it would make your head spin!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
My younger sister loves Will Ferrell's humor. It's one of those things you either love or you hate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

I have yet to see him make a movie that proved he could act.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Badeye

When I need to calm down from having the 'giggles' I watch Will Ferrell.
Trump is going to win AGAIN

Oceander

Why is it everyone seems to think that actors are such economic and political gurus?  Will Ferrell has utterly no clue what he's talking about, period, end of discussion.  Unless he can show evidence of a whole lotta larnin' in economics and tax policy, giving him even a moment's attention on those topics is like asking a cockroach to explain Einstein's theory of general relativity.  In plain English.

Online mountaineer

1.  He's not much of an actor.
2.  He's not particularly funny as a comedian.
3.  So why won't he pay more? Oh yeah, he'll hide his wealth in his mattress.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org