Author Topic: Godfather on AMC  (Read 2958 times)

Oceander

Godfather on AMC
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:30:05 am »
Apropos of not much, I'm just watching The Godfather on AMC right now and loving it.  The pacing of the movie is incredible; slow, deliberate, measured, but still deadly.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Godfather on AMC
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:31:19 am »
I could never get in to The Godfather, or Mob movies in general.

I have a friend who is a GF nut, he can practically recite every line from all 3 movies.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:34:23 am »
Apropos of not much, I'm just watching The Godfather on AMC right now and loving it.  The pacing of the movie is incredible; slow, deliberate, measured, but still deadly.

Lucky you... DISH dropped AMC on July 1st.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:58:09 am »

I have a friend who is a GF nut, he can practically recite every line from all 3 movies.

I'm not a nut for the mob movies - some are good, some are bad - but the Godfather does deserve credit for how it's made; it is a very good piece of cinematography.

The pacing really is incredible and it is probably radically different from the pacing a similar movie would be given today by a contemporary director. 

It does, however, also glorify the mob in a way that is quite at odds with reality.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:00:11 am by Oceander »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:30 am »
I'm not a nut for the mob movies - some are good, some are bad - but the Godfather does deserve credit for how it's made; it is a very good piece of cinematography.

The pacing really is incredible and it is probably radically different from the pacing a similar movie would be given today by a contemporary director. 

It does, however, also glorify the mob in a way that is quite at odds with reality.

I like the series, and yes it was brilliantly done (and acted)
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:13:30 am »
I like the series, and yes it was brilliantly done (and acted)

I'd like to see someone try to get that same sort of pacing with a new movie - not a remake, something with a different subject that still benefits from the pacing.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 04:18:43 am »
I'd like to see someone try to get that same sort of pacing with a new movie - not a remake, something with a different subject that still benefits from the pacing.

There has not been a good movie"series" in a long time -- at the movies or on TV.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:15 am »
well now i know what channel the tv will be on when my husband gets home..LOL

I have seen the Godfather 1-2-3 at least 100 times, if not more since I got married, 9 years ago.. :silly: :silly:

I actually like when they do the saga, and put 1 and 2 together in chronological order.

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 04:51:01 am »
well now i know what channel the tv will be on when my husband gets home..LOL

I have seen the Godfather 1-2-3 at least 100 times, if not more since I got married, 9 years ago.. :silly: :silly:

I actually like when they do the saga, and put 1 and 2 together in chronological order.

Part 2 will be on tomorrow night.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:56 am »
Part 2 will be on tomorrow night.

OH gee thanks  :thud:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:43 am »
I refuse to watch any movies on AMC or channels like that.

Who in the heck wants to watch 4-5 hours for a movie only 120 minutes long?

Commercials.....UGH!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
I refuse to watch any movies on AMC or channels like that.

Who in the heck wants to watch 4-5 hours for a movie only 120 minutes long?

Commercials.....UGH!

Fair enough; I would agree that you lose some of the experience when it's broken up with commercials.  On the other hand, it's free, it's there, and since AMC plays it over and over again, if I miss one part I just have to wait awhile 'til it comes back around again.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »
Not ashamed to admit I am a big fan of the entire GF series and have them on DVD.  All three are great movies and are part of our "must have" collection....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 05:29:30 pm »

I'm with you, AC.  I think it's the fact that throughout my life whenever people heard my Italian last name, they always managed a comment like, "Oh, Mafia, eh?".  I don't mind jokes with a punch line, but that quip always bothered me.  I guess they never realized how insulting it is. 

Anyway, I can't stand mob films.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »
I'm with you, AC.  I think it's the fact that throughout my life whenever people heard my Italian last name, they always managed a comment like, "Oh, Mafia, eh?".  I don't mind jokes with a punch line, but that quip always bothered me.  I guess they never realized how insulting it is. 

Anyway, I can't stand mob films.

Nothing wrong with that.  I have a problem with the way in which mob movies glorify the mob.  Notwithstanding that, The Godfather is still a beautiful piece of cinematography; I would love to see the same thoughtfulness and pacing applied to some other subject matter that was equally capable of such a deliberate, careful treatment.