• Owner
  • Administrator
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »

Support the USO

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
This is so terribly sad for a 25 year old man to end his life this way.  We have a friend of ours whose son was picked up this year in the NFL draft at age 22, and when he hit his first training camp he had a near nuclear meltdown.  It was nothing like what he expected, it was radically different from the team environment he had in College and High School, and in the end he was emotionally unprepared for the major grind that competing in the NFL has become.  Many of these young players are under tremendous pressure to succeed and some have been raised on football at great expense by their parents on the premise that when Junior hits it big, so will Mom and Dad.

We'll likely never know what drove him to this terrible decision, but given the atmosphere surrounding football these days I think we can make some reasoned guesses.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
That's an interesting perspective, Chief. I would guess that the money, fame, women, drugs, etc., that come with going pro are a lot more than many young men can take.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf