Author Topic: Homeowner Pulls Gun To Stop New Electric Meter From Being Installed  (Read 1801 times)

famousdayandyear

Offline Rapunzel

Good for her!

Offline U-238

• inactive members no email
  • A Supporter of the U.S Military-Industrial Complex
I have a smart meter. It is so difficult to read. Everyone in the city is required to have a smart meter.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Of course, the simple alternative is this:  if you want electric power, then you get it through the provider-approved meters; otherwise, find your own way to get electric power.  Someone so opposed to the meters the provider wants to use can bone up on solar and wind and see what they can do with that (actually, done correctly, they could probably be a net source of power back into the grid rather than a net draw off the grid; there'd still be the matter of that pesky meter, however).

Offline Rapunzel

Of course, the simple alternative is this:  if you want electric power, then you get it through the provider-approved meters; otherwise, find your own way to get electric power.  Someone so opposed to the meters the provider wants to use can bone up on solar and wind and see what they can do with that (actually, done correctly, they could probably be a net source of power back into the grid rather than a net draw off the grid; there'd still be the matter of that pesky meter, however).

My friends with a house here -- 3000 square feet -- has it solar powered (house and pool) their net electric bill runs about $11 a month at most -- usually around $8 a month.  That said no way do I want the power company telling me what temperature I can keep my house cooled or heated to...

Offline DCPatriot

The smart meter will allow them to cut the power without visiting the property. 

It will cost jobs. 

It can also cut back the wattage at certain peak times....where everything runs less efficiently except the meter.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline mountaineer

When we built our home 3 years ago, we looked into alternative energy, wanting to be as self-sufficient as possible.  The $50,000 cost of a rooftop solar  system just didn't make sense, though, so we have regular old power company electricity. We need it to power the $20,000 geothermal heating and cooling, though (eventually, we'll recoup that expense, we trust). In the winter, we gain a few degrees of warmth through passive solar collection along the south side of the house.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Rapunzel

When we built our home 3 years ago, we looked into alternative energy, wanting to be as self-sufficient as possible.  The $50,000 cost of a rooftop solar  system just didn't make sense, though, so we have regular old power company electricity. We need it to power the $20,000 geothermal heating and cooling, though (eventually, we'll recoup that expense, we trust). In the winter, we gain a few degrees of warmth through passive solar collection along the south side of the house.

Winter is no issue for me... unless we have a cloudy and cold snap as long as we have sunshine the windows on the front of my house get full on sun all afternoon and the windows on the back capture morning sunshine and warms my house nicely.... if it gets really cold and we have clouds then I have to switch on the heating system, but $25 a month heats my house in winter and $15 of that is my base and cooking gas.... summer is my problem, goes from $80 to almost $300 a month... and water goes up exponentially as well... 

Offline mountaineer

Perhaps it's time to put signs on our electric meters, just in case the power company fellow comes by:  "Keep your %*#! smart meters to yourselves!"
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Rapunzel

Perhaps it's time to put signs on our electric meters, just in case the power company fellow comes by:  "Keep your %*#! smart meters to yourselves!"

Good idea...... so far I have not read they are doing them locally, but we have a mayor who is a Bloomberg wannabe so nothing shocks me...

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Homeowner Pulls Gun To Stop New Electric Meter From Being Installed
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

Good idea...... so far I have not read they are doing them locally, but we have a mayor who is a Bloomberg wannabe so nothing shocks me...

It all depends on who the meters belong to.  If they belong to the utility company, then the owners of the homes to which the meters are attached cannot prevent the utility company from doing what it wishes to with its own property.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf