Author Topic: Gun of the Day  (Read 44966 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Gun of the Day
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:06 am »

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 02:26:41 am »
50 cal.  Is the largest cal. Rifle the U S government will allow a citizen to own without a special license
Faith is not believing God can
Faith is Knowing God Will

"Senators more than House members & both more than ordinary people, lie."

Offline ABX

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 02:35:31 am »
50 cal.  Is the largest cal. Rifle the U S government will allow a citizen to own without a special license

There is a special exception for the .950 JDJ. It has a special use sporting exception.

There are also a few C&R gun calibers available that can be purchased with that license, which is the easiest to get.  These are usually like the .577 Henry

Oceander

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 02:39:32 am »
There is a special exception for the .950 JDJ. It has a special use sporting exception.

There are also a few C&R gun calibers available that can be purchased with that license, which is the easiest to get.  These are usually like the .577 Henry

What sport involves shooting an almost one-inch diameter round?  And can I join?

Offline ABX

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 02:51:51 am »
What sport involves shooting an almost one-inch diameter round?  And can I join?

You actually hunt the suckers willing to shoulder that gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rKHXTsDcco

Oceander

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 02:58:11 am »
You actually hunt the suckers willing to shoulder that gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rKHXTsDcco

Yikes!

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 12:03:33 pm »
Something fun for today. Have you dreamed of having a .50 but didn't want to fork out $12K for it?  ArmaLite has a single shot option for under $4,000.  If my local ranges would allow shooting a .50, I would even be tempted to snatch one of these up.

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »
Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

Holey Moses!  That guy is one lucky SOB.  When I lived in more civilized places (southwest Virginia) I used to go to a public shooting range on Saturday afternoons, until the day I started hearing ricochets from the rounds a nearby idiot was firing at the boulders sitting at the top of the range backstop.  And that was just from an AK-47 knock-off.  Thank the Lord he didn't have a 50 cal.

Offline ABX

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:58 pm »
New Savage Model 42 22LR/410 Shotshell Combination Gun

http://gunblast.com/Savage-42.htm

Savage Arms has a history of producing good-shooting, affordable combination guns. Unlike many of the European combo guns that cost more than a new pickup truck, the Savage Model 24 that was built in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s provided shooters, campers, hunters, and survivalists with handy firearms that would fire both rifle and shotgun ammunition, at prices that most folks could afford. However, several variations of these discontinued Model 24 combination guns are now fetching princely sums of money, as most folks who have these guns are not willing to part with them. If you do find one for sale, they are sometimes in pretty rough condition, as these were working guns; riding in pickup trucks and living in the woods much of the time.

Savage has now introduced a thoroughly modernized version of the Model 24, called the Model 42. Instead of blued steel and walnut, the Model 42 wears a matte black finish on the receiver and a satin black finish on the barrels, all fitted into a lightweight black polymer stock. The forend is slim and easy to grasp, with long finger-grooves on each side, and texturing along the bottom. It is very comfortable to hold. The buttstock has a generous pistol grip, also textured for a secure hold. The polymer is impervious to harsh weather and rough handling. The recoil pad is soft and effective, and the black stock is accented with red butt pad, pistol grip cap, and forend cap spacers. “Savage Arms” is proudly shown in red letters along each side of the forend. The action is a non-ferrous casting, with the barrels, mono-block, trigger, hammer, and other small parts made of steel. Thankfully, the Model 42 has sling studs, as should any such firearm that is meant to live in the great outdoors. The barrels measure twenty inches in length. Each barrel measures .555 inch diameter. As far as I can tell, the 410 barrel has no choke constriction, and it is not threaded to accept choke tubes.

Price will be $400 or less.

A lot more info at the link.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 06:57:38 pm »
I hear you.  I also had to sell my vintage 1958 Baretta .22 short tip out.  Mine had white pearl grips:

Why did y'all have to get rid of your guns? They check you at the state line?

Oceander

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 07:43:38 pm »
Why did y'all have to get rid of your guns? They check you at the state line?

Nope, but if you get caught afterwards, it's not fun - fines, penalties, and jail time.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »
Nope, but if you get caught afterwards, it's not fun - fines, penalties, and jail time.

That's not America, IMO. No way in Hades would I give up my personal protection.

Oceander

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 09:09:14 pm »
That's not America, IMO. No way in Hades would I give up my personal protection.

You're right, it's not America, it's New York, in particular, New York City (apparently, in the upstate counties many of the sheriffs are a little more "relaxed" about citizens having firearms).  The ironic thing is, the firearm laws, which essentially give government officials complete discretion to deny, or limit, a person's right to own a firearm, were originally enacted by the Anglo-Saxon elite in order to keep down the teeming immigrants, like the Irish and the Italians.  Now those laws are applied to all, including those who were responsible for them.  They have also proven that the effect - keeping people down - is real and that banning firearm ownership is a significant means of keeping a population cowed and under control.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »
Gun of the day. Today, my personal concealed carry choice for every-day carry. The Walther PPK/s.

(and not just because I am a big Bond fan and collector)

I have a new Walther PPS.  Fires very well, considering how light it is.  Better to carry than my Baretta Mini Cougar.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 11:35:05 pm »
I picked this up model up at a gun show a few months ago:

Caliber: 7.62mm NATO (.308 Win.)
Barrel: 22", Twist: 1 turn in 12 inches, right hand, four-groove carbon steel
Size Weight: 9.2 pounds, Length: 44 1/3" long
Mechanism: Rotating bolt, gas operated, air cooled, semi-automatic magazine fed
Sights Front: Military square post
Rear: Military aperture with MOA adjustments for both windage and elevation. 26 3/4" sight radius
Capacity: 10 round box magazine*
Trigger Pull: 5 to 6 lbs., two-stage military trigger

I also have a CZ-83:

Price   $452.00 USD
Ammunition   .32 AUTO (CZ-82) or .380 (CZ-83)
Magazine Capacity   15  (12+1 for the CZ-83)
Weight   1.760 lbs
Overall Length   6.770 in
Barrel Length   3.820 in
Height   5.000 in
Width   1.420 in
Frame   Steel
Grip   Plastic
Trigger Mech.   SA/DA
Sights   Fixed
Safety   Ambi Manual Sear Block Safety, Rebounding Hammer Safety

The M1A has match iron sights, and I added a scope mount and Bushnell scope (only until I can find a decent mil-dot scope graduated for 7.62).

I picked up my CZ in Germany back in '91. On the slide, it says "Made in Czeckoslovakia". The CZ was recently upgraded with Meprolite sights for low-light work. It's a joy to shoot.

People may think the .380 cartridge is a "kid's throwaway special", but I've taken deer with it.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Poser

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 10:59:00 pm »

It's a 1903 Springfield 30-06 that I mount a cheap scope to. A six shot 200 yard target that I shot with it is pictured below. A couple of years after my dad died, I visited the local gun shop in a town near where he lived. The owner who I knew told me my dad had left something that I might want. He went out back and got this sporterized 03 Springfield. He said my dad had the rifle with a broken stock and had asked him to put a modern one on it and accurize it as much as possible. He sure did. My dad had that old beat-up rifle on the wall for 50 years. It has new life. (1958 surplus military ammo if you were wondering)

I guess he did a pretty good job.

Oceander

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 02:18:22 am »

It's a 1903 Springfield 30-06 that I mount a cheap scope to. A six shot 200 yard target that I shot with it is pictured below. A couple of years after my dad died, I visited the local gun shop in a town near where he lived. The owner who I knew told me my dad had left something that I might want. He went out back and got this sporterized 03 Springfield. He said my dad had the rifle with a broken stock and had asked him to put a modern one on it and accurize it as much as possible. He sure did. My dad had that old beat-up rifle on the wall for 50 years. It has new life. (1958 surplus military ammo if you were wondering)

I guess he did a pretty good job.

Very nice!

Offline ABX

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 11:58:00 pm »
Today's gun is probably my next purchase .

A Saiga Raptor 12 Gage.

This shotgun is built on the famous AK-47 action that has been proven by years of very reliable combat action!

The shotgun comes with 12-ga. smooth bored barrel and the chamber which accepts the ammo equipped with shot or slugs including "Magnum" cartridges with
70mm (2-3/4") and 76 mm (3") cartridge case.

The shotgun is used to deliver single shots. It is reloaded automatically due to the energy of powder combustion gases bled from the barrel bore through the barrel port. The shotgun may be equipped with a sight leaf adjustable for windage and elevation, which makes zeroing and firing at moving targets more convenient. The gas motive unit is adjustable to match the parameters of internal ballistics inherent to the standard cartridges and "Magnum" cartridges, as well. For the purpose of diversifying operational capabilities the shotgun may be equipped with muzzle adapters of different chokes, including the muzzle adapter "Paradox".

The prices really vary, from about $700 to $2500 depending on the configuration. The great thing is they are easy to customize so like a good AR, you can start with a basic and build up. Nothing special about the rounds, standard 12 gage are fine (Under $10 for 25).

Offline Poser

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 12:12:18 am »

Ruger LCP .380 in wallet holster. Small and completely invisible when carried like a wallet. I've been carrying it on hot days for about a year. I prefer the 9mm when I have a jacket with a bigger pocket.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:14:08 am by Poser »

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:45 am »
Nice and affordable.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »

Ruger LCP .380 in wallet holster. Small and completely invisible when carried like a wallet. I've been carrying it on hot days for about a year. I prefer the 9mm when I have a jacket with a bigger pocket.

I own a Ruger SR9C compact 9mm with an interchangeable grip.  If I put on the small grip, would it fit in this little wallet?  I think that is pretty cool.

Offline Poser

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »

Here is my Keltec PF9 next to the Ruger LCP .380. The two holsters on the right are for the LCP and the one for the PF9 is on the left. As you can see, the PF9 is considerably larger and much more difficult to conceal in a pants pocket. It works fine in a coat pocket.

The two leather holsters are from pocketholster.com and the cheap one is labeled "Action Holsters by Ramsey" There are plenty of good ones but the cheap plastic one from Ramsey that I found at a biker event is the smallest, lightest and most comfortable.

Offline Poser

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »

My gun of the day!

Para-ordinance LDA TAC-S .45 ACP
Fabulous double action trigger

Offline aligncare

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:03 pm »
You're right, it's not America, it's New York, in particular, New York City (apparently, in the upstate counties many of the sheriffs are a little more "relaxed" about citizens having firearms).  The ironic thing is, the firearm laws, which essentially give government officials complete discretion to deny, or limit, a person's right to own a firearm, were originally enacted by the Anglo-Saxon elite in order to keep down the teeming immigrants, like the Irish and the Italians.  Now those laws are applied to all, including those who were responsible for them.  They have also proven that the effect - keeping people down - is real and that banning firearm ownership is a significant means of keeping a population cowed and under control.

I was read the riot act when I contacted an upstate gun deal about what to do with my guns before I move here.  He said in no uncertain terms to get them legal, do not risk possessing unlicensed guns--not in New York state and certain not in NYC.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2012, 05:45:18 pm »
I have a question for you all: does it make sense to buy a variety of guns when you'll have to buy so many types of ammunition, or just stick to a few within the same "family" of ammo? We own three weapons currently - two handguns and a rifle -  each requiring its own type of ammunition. Much as I'd like to have additional guns, I don't like the thought of having to purchase all the different calibers of ammo.  What do you think?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org