Author Topic: Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea  (Read 1615 times)

Online mountaineer

Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea
« on: April 06, 2024, 01:14:52 pm »
April 6, 2024
Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea
By Mike McDaniel
All too often I see well-intentioned men decide the women in their lives are too weak to cycle the slides of contemporary semiautomatic handguns. Their solution is inevitably to guide them into revolvers, and almost always, small, concealable revolvers.

With the exception of people who have abnormally little strength, or are afflicted with a neural or muscular deficit, virtually anyone, including women and girls, has sufficient strength to cycle the slide of just about any semiauto on the market, including the most popular concealed carry handguns like a Sig P365, Glock 43 or 43X, and even larger handguns. ... What’s required is not so much strength, but proper technique. ...

In decades of teaching women to shoot, I’ve yet to meet one who, using correct technique, could not cycle any semiauto handgun slide. To be sure, some had to work harder than others, but no one was unable. ...

While small, double action only revolvers are easier to conceal, their limited ammunition capacity, strong recoil and muzzle blast, light weight, long, heavy trigger pulls and minimal sights make them difficult for anyone, and particularly women, to use effectively.  In a very real sense, they’re expert’s guns, limited in range. ...
More at the American Thinker
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 09:32:08 pm »
"In decades of teaching women to shoot, I’ve yet to meet one who, using correct technique, could not cycle any semiauto handgun slide. To be sure, some had to work harder than others, but no one was unable. ..."

As long as the Astra 400 is not included.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 09:47:39 pm »
I beg to differ.  I took a concealed carry course for personal protection taught by a retired police officer over 3 weeks that met once a week for 3 weeks, 3 hours a session.  At the end of the course we had to prove proficiency and had to hit targets in various different scenarios. I had a Rossi revolver at the time.  There were 10 in my class, 2 other women and 7 men. 

I was the only one that scored a perfect 10/10!!  Even the instructor was amazed, that revolver was darned accurate.

Unfortunately, the gun would jam every now and then and so I figured it may not be reliable when most needed so I traded it in.

I would much rather carry an accurate reliable revolver than a semi-auto, especially as I age.  Granted you can't load as many in the chamber -- but one good shot to take 'em down is all you need.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 10:02:14 pm »
I've bought every one of my daughters a pig-sticker switchblade.
And a .38 snub... With the instruction to stick it on the perpetrator and keep pulling the trigger, then switch to the blade.

Women will likely not have distance to worry about when danger strikes them.
It will be up close and personal. So the functional use, more than target acquisition, more than caliber, is GoBang in close quarters.

GoBang guarantee with revolver. No worry about a shell stack because of a blocked exit in a close tussle.
And no one I know with six .38s in him is gonna want to play anymore. And if he does, a little carving, just for fun.

Can she jack a .45 round? Maybe.
Is she gonna bring a fat ol forty with her when she has a tiny purse and evening attire? Where the heck is she gonna put it?

That snubby is a good compromise.
And she might just figure out a place to put it.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 01:44:15 am »

I was the only one that scored a perfect 10/10!! 

👍

Excellent
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 01:48:21 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 08:41:33 am »
During the Warsaw Uprising in WWII, those resisting there started with a few handguns. They rapidly discovered that when using those pistols against the Nazis, they would seek a lone soldier and place the muzzle firmly against the soldier's ribs, front or back, then discharge their weapon. This had the two-part effect of muffling the sound of the shot, but also the gas produced by the pistol, "muzzle blast" entered the wound and collapsed lungs or otherwise disrupted internal organs in addition to the effects of the bullet.

Now that sounds really nasty, but ladies, if you are defending yourself from an attacker at very close (intimate) range, it's you or them, that will help make your defensive weapon, no matter what caliber, more effective.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 12:25:25 pm »
Although my carry piece is semi-auto, I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article or, at least, any overgeneralizations it may contain. A woman should carry whatever type of weapon she can handle comfortably and become adept at using.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 01:25:10 pm »
A woman should carry whatever type of weapon she can handle comfortably and become adept at using.

:yowsa: And the same goes for men!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 02:33:16 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 02:01:00 pm »
The Best Revolvers For Women

RevolverGuy.Com

I recently ran across a blog that listed some revolver recommendations for women. I scanned through the article and found most of the recommendations to be based on superficial factors like the color of the frame. Yep, – I kid you not –  pink.  The other key factors seemed to play right into the old size stereotype. According to this article, the J-Frame reigned supreme as the ideal revolver – or possibly even the ideal handgun – for women. Today I’m going to submit my thoughts on the best revolvers for women.

I’ve had this article in the queue for a while, and was waiting for the right opportunity to run it. This week I was spurred into action. Greg Ellifritz responded to an article about guns for women. Go read his article, and the article that prompted it. Still, unbelievably, there is a lot of bad information about “guns for women” floating around out there.

Revolvers for Women

Curious, I searched for a few more articles of this ilk and consistently found the same themes over and over: pink guns, tiny guns, guns that are “easy to operate” or “user-friendly”

I ran the idea of “revolvers for women” by my girlfriend. This was at least partially spurred when we were in a gun shop and she noticed pink and purple snubnose revolvers. . . and was not amused (she’s a pre-lock Smith fan, after all!). We chatted about the idea for a while, and I came to some conclusions. It seems that an awful lot of articles about “[fill in the blank shooting product] for women” are based on poorly considered criteria.-----

More Bad Criteria

I recently ran across a blog that listed some revolver recommendations for women. I scanned through the article and found most of the recommendations to be based on superficial factors like the color of the frame. Yep, – I kid you not –  pink.  The other key factors seemed to play right into the old size stereotype. According to this article, the J-Frame reigned supreme as the ideal revolver – or possibly even the ideal handgun – for women. Today I’m going to submit my thoughts on the best revolvers for women.

I’ve had this article in the queue for a while, and was waiting for the right opportunity to run it. This week I was spurred into action. Greg Ellifritz responded to an article about guns for women. Go read his article, and the article that prompted it. Still, unbelievably, there is a lot of bad information about “guns for women” floating around out there.

Revolvers for Women

Curious, I searched for a few more articles of this ilk and consistently found the same themes over and over: pink guns, tiny guns, guns that are “easy to operate” or “user-friendly”

I ran the idea of “revolvers for women” by my girlfriend. This was at least partially spurred when we were in a gun shop and she noticed pink and purple snubnose revolvers. . . and was not amused (she’s a pre-lock Smith fan, after all!). We chatted about the idea for a while, and I came to some conclusions. It seems that an awful lot of articles about “[fill in the blank shooting product] for women” are based on poorly considered criteria.

One huge reason for recommending revolvers to women: simplicity. Revolvers seem to be upheld as the ideal carry/defense gun for women because they have a very straightforward manual-of-arms. This assumes that women are incapable of learning and cannot be counted on to train or practice. This assumes they can’t (or won’t) become proficient on a system with a more complex manual-of-arms.

I think the assumption is accurate, but only in the exact same way it is accurate for men. Sorry men, but most of you (and by most, I mean something like 99%) will never seek training beyond basic, state-mandated minimums for your concealed carry permit, if you even bother to seek that level of training. This means a gun with a simple manual of arms shouldn’t be a gendered firearm; people advocating revolvers for women on the basis of simplicity should probably be pushing them on their male customers, too encouraging customers of both sexes to train more, regardless of what they purchase or carry.

Unfortunately, despite being popularly considered a gun that requires no skill, small revolvers are recognized by experts as the domain of the expert. All other things being equal, a smaller revolver will be more difficult to shoot than a larger one (obviously up to a point). To answer the question, “is a J-Frame (or equivalent) the best revolver for a certain woman?” we should first ask another question: “what is the woman’s current level of competency and/or is she willing to practice and seek training?” If the woman in question is willing to seek knowledge, invest in training, and commit to some practice, a small revolver might just be the perfect firearm. Or it very well may not be.

More Bad Criteria

Another criteria common to most of the revolvers recommended to women seems to be size. In articles, gun stores, and family discussions, small revolvers are often recommended to women. Does the majority of the female market want small guns? Maybe, and I really can’t answer that. However, even if the female market desperately demands small revolvers that still doesn’t speak to their suitability.

Secondly, because a woman happens to be female doesn’t automatically mean her hands are small. I absolutely loathe the knee-jerk “woman = small hands = small gun.” Consider the variability of the human form. I have fairly small hands for a man. I have a good buddy who is is about six inches taller than me and has a very muscular fifty pounds on me. His hands, however, are much smaller than mine. I’ve also dated at least two women whose hands were larger than mine.

Better Criteria

Let’s assume you are a woman who is interested in owning/using/carrying a revolver. What makes a good revolver for you? I have compiled some objective criteria that I think make a good revolver. I will recommend a few specific models further down in the article, but understanding what makes a good revolver is more important than specific recommendations. The things that make a revolver well-suited to nearly any purpose, be it defense, training, fun range sessions, or whatever, are these: high quality, an excellent trigger, good sights, and sufficient grip surface.

Criteria 1: High Quality

Any firearm that is relied on for life-and-death defense should be of high quality. This is a problem I see with many of the pink/purple/pastel guns on the market: most of them are from second-tier manufacturers. These guns will usually work (I was impressed with the Taurus I recently reviewed) but there is probably a reason they use marketing gimmicks like a broad range of color options to sell guns. I would recommend sticking to one of the top-tier manufacturers. Ruger is a good example – I’d almost hands-down recommend any of their revolvers. These guns will be far less likely to have problems from the factory. If cared for they will last several lifetimes. None of their revolvers, to my knowledge, come in pink or purple.

There’s another benefit here, too. Popular, high-quality revolvers from top tier manufacturers will usually give you access to the generous aftermarket support. It is very difficult to find holsters, speedloaders, replacement grips, and other accessories for some of the lower-end revolvers unless they are direct knock-offs of larger manufacturers. This is not always true; if you’re purchasing a very new model support may still be limited.

Criteria 2: An Excellent Trigger

One of the most important criteria in a revolver is its trigger. All double-action revolver triggers are going to be long, but there are other qualitative differences. Triggers can be smooth or gritty and light or heavy. Choosing a gun with an excellent trigger will go a long way toward making you accurate with the gun. A rough, gritty trigger can smooth itself out over time; a heavy one will not lighten perceptibly over time.

Smith & Wesson factory revolvers will have a sub-optimal trigger when they are brand new. This can be somewhat corrected with lots of use, both at the range and in dry practice (both of which have other, obvious benefits). The components of the trigger smooth with use. Triggers are not going to get much lighter through use, though. The S&W J-Frames are perennial favorites as “purse guns,” but their triggers are notoriously heavy. This can be corrected with the addition of an Apex Duty/Carry Spring Kit or TK Custom’s J-Frame Spring/Firing Pin Kit, but there are also excellent options available out of the box.

Criteria 3: Good, Visible Sights

I’m also a fan of revolvers with the best possible sighting situation. Preferences vary based on the shooter. For some, good sights might simply mean a plain blade with some pink or orange nail polish or model paint applied. For others it might be a fiber optic front or a set of night sights.

More: https://revolverguy.com/the-best-revolvers-for-women/

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 02:28:55 pm »
I promised myself I wouldn't post here anymore,but this BS is more than I can stand.

J-frame and similar sized revolvers ARE the optimum pick for EVERYONE who lives in a city and has to carry concealed BECAUSE they are concealed,and primarily carried either in a purse or in a pocket.

As for sights,you don't  need any stinking rear sights to hit a man-sized target at 10 feet. If you buy a snubby and it has rear sights,take them off  and  throw them away. They are as useless at tits on a boar hog.

Sure,a BAR or a sawed-off 12 gauge would  be more effective,but if your pockets are that big you don't need a freaking gun.

I,personally,prefer bobbed hammers because MY  plan,if confronted and in what I consider to be a serious situation,I have no intention of pulling the gun out of my  pocket to shoot it. I wear a jacket when going to town (lightweight windbreaker) and I carry my snub-nosed 22 Rossi with  the 2 inch  barrel in my jacket pocket,and if I am even the LEAST bit suspicious of danger,I have my hand in my pocket and my hand is holding the 22. The 22 is loaded with  "Stinger" hollowpoints.

IF someone comes up to  me and is what I consider to be a serious threat,I tell them they have two options. They can walk away  or die on the spot because I have a gun in my  hand and will shoot them graveyard dead if they don't.

DO NOT tell then what type of gun you  have or describe it in ANY way at all because when they do walk away,some will call the cops and tell them you pulled a gun on them and threatened their life/lives. When the cop asks them to describe the gun,they will almost always say it was a "chrome automatic".  Which is an automatic "drop armed assault charges" even if the cop wanted to charge you.

Don't bother to  ask me how I know  this.

BTW,this is just for "local cities" that are small and where my exposure will be limited. If I go to a big city,I still carry my  little Taurus in a coat pocket,but I also have my modified .45 ACP Combat Commander with my "Banzai handloads" stuffed under my belt in the back in case things  get serious. I guarantee you that one will "seal the deal",even if they have friends and relatives that might come running to their rescue.

Which really isn't a consideration. These punks rob and beat innocent people because they think THEY won't get hurt. Convince them they will die where they are standing,and they will suddenly hear their mama's calling them home.

And finally,MOST women are more likely to carry the little 22 revolver (or semi-auto,although  I  REALLY hate those things) because of the way they dress. The little snub-nose 22 will fit into a purse,or even a pocket in their dress,and not be a bother. A 22 in your pocket beats the HELL out of a 44 Magnum you have at home.

FINALLY,it SHOULD go without having to be said,but regardless of WHAT you carry or the caliber,you  MUST practice shooting the damn thing enough to be confident you can hit what you are aiming at. This means the typical target of a man pointing a semi-auto at you from about 10 feet away. Right NOW your entire focus should be building up confidence in your shooting to the  point where you KNOW you can hit "center mass" on a man-sized target at 10 feet. Remember,you will be shooting for survival,not trophies.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 02:36:58 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 03:04:20 pm »
I promised myself I wouldn't post here anymore,but this BS is more than I can stand.

J-frame and similar sized revolvers ARE the optimum pick for EVERYONE who lives in a city and has to carry concealed BECAUSE they are concealed,and primarily carried either in a purse or in a pocket.

As for sights,you don't  need any stinking rear sights to hit a man-sized target at 10 feet. If you buy a snubby and it has rear sights,take them off  and  throw them away. They are as useless at tits on a boar hog.

Sure,a BAR or a sawed-off 12 gauge would  be more effective,but if your pockets are that big you don't need a freaking gun.

I,personally,prefer bobbed hammers because MY  plan,if confronted and in what I consider to be a serious situation,I have no intention of pulling the gun out of my  pocket to shoot it. I wear a jacket when going to town (lightweight windbreaker) and I carry my snub-nosed 22 Rossi with  the 2 inch  barrel in my jacket pocket,and if I am even the LEAST bit suspicious of danger,I have my hand in my pocket and my hand is holding the 22. The 22 is loaded with  "Stinger" hollowpoints.

IF someone comes up to  me and is what I consider to be a serious threat,I tell them they have two options. They can walk away  or die on the spot because I have a gun in my  hand and will shoot them graveyard dead if they don't.

DO NOT tell then what type of gun you  have or describe it in ANY way at all because when they do walk away,some will call the cops and tell them you pulled a gun on them and threatened their life/lives. When the cop asks them to describe the gun,they will almost always say it was a "chrome automatic".  Which is an automatic "drop armed assault charges" even if the cop wanted to charge you.

Don't bother to  ask me how I know  this.

BTW,this is just for "local cities" that are small and where my exposure will be limited. If I go to a big city,I still carry my  little Taurus in a coat pocket,but I also have my modified .45 ACP Combat Commander with my "Banzai handloads" stuffed under my belt in the back in case things  get serious. I guarantee you that one will "seal the deal",even if they have friends and relatives that might come running to their rescue.

Which really isn't a consideration. These punks rob and beat innocent people because they think THEY won't get hurt. Convince them they will die where they are standing,and they will suddenly hear their mama's calling them home.

And finally,MOST women are more likely to carry the little 22 revolver (or semi-auto,although  I  REALLY hate those things) because of the way they dress. The little snub-nose 22 will fit into a purse,or even a pocket in their dress,and not be a bother. A 22 in your pocket beats the HELL out of a 44 Magnum you have at home.

FINALLY,it SHOULD go without having to be said,but regardless of WHAT you carry or the caliber,you  MUST practice shooting the damn thing enough to be confident you can hit what you are aiming at. This means the typical target of a man pointing a semi-auto at you from about 10 feet away. Right NOW your entire focus should be building up confidence in your shooting to the  point where you KNOW you can hit "center mass" on a man-sized target at 10 feet. Remember,you will be shooting for survival,not trophies.

@sneakypete

ROFL!  Please continue posting...best one I've read in months.  (But I know how you feel)   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 04:23:05 pm »
Another criteria common to most of the revolvers recommended to women seems to be size. In articles, gun stores, and family discussions, small revolvers are often recommended to women. Does the majority of the female market want small guns? Maybe, and I really can’t answer that. However, even if the female market desperately demands small revolvers that still doesn’t speak to their suitability.

Secondly, because a woman happens to be female doesn’t automatically mean her hands are small. I absolutely loathe the knee-jerk “woman = small hands = small gun.” ...
As a female who carries, the issue of gun size/weight is not only related to her hands - there are other practical considerations.

It's a pain in the neck for a woman to carry, frankly. Holsters are bulky and uncomfortable, and concealed carry purses often are very large and not terribly attractive (and carrying a heavy piece around in one can be hard on the shoulder). I've seen those belly bands, and those look very uncomfortable, too, although I haven't yet tried one.

The smallest, lightest gun that can still do the job is the way to go. It's much easier for me to carry a S&W .380 in my concealed carry purse than my Taurus 9mm - smaller, lighter - but it probably is not the right gun for my purposes. I'm not as skilled with the .380, and I need the stopping power and larger capacity magazine of the Taurus, especially when I'm on duty as a member of the church security team.

Revolvers are nice because I have difficulty racking the slide (arthritic hands, I guess) of some semi-autos. Whenever that becomes too difficult with my current piece, I'll have to give serious thought to changing my habits.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 04:41:35 pm »
As a female who carries, the issue of gun size/weight is not only related to her hands - there are other practical considerations.

It's a pain in the neck for a woman to carry, frankly. Holsters are bulky and uncomfortable, and concealed carry purses often are very large and not terribly attractive (and carrying a heavy piece around in one can be hard on the shoulder). I've seen those belly bands, and those look very uncomfortable, too, although I haven't yet tried one.

The smallest, lightest gun that can still do the job is the way to go. It's much easier for me to carry a S&W .380 in my concealed carry purse than my Taurus 9mm - smaller, lighter - but it probably is not the right gun for my purposes. I'm not as skilled with the .380, and I need the stopping power and larger capacity magazine of the Taurus, especially when I'm on duty as a member of the church security team.

Revolvers are nice because I have difficulty racking the slide (arthritic hands, I guess) of some semi-autos. Whenever that becomes too difficult with my current piece, I'll have to give serious thought to changing my habits.

I'm a full-grown man fully capable of racking the slide on any handgun but mostly carry a little Glock 42 in .380 caliber these days in a pocket holster that works just fine.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2024, 05:12:23 pm »
IMPORTANT SAFETY  NOTICE ABOUT REVOLVERS!

Do NOT cock the hammer on a revolver if the "thumb piece"  has been cut off for concealed carry!

If you do this,the only SAFE way to "uncock the hammer" is to shoot the revolver,or to do something like use a pair  of "Vice Grip" pliers on the hammer to make sure the firing pin does not contact the primer when you pull the trigger by clamping them as close to the part of the hammer that strikes the firing pin as possible. If you are forced to do this for some reason,you can then point the gun at the ground and remove the Vice Grip pliers.

No,I do NOT know of anyone who has used their thumb/other hand to manually cock a revolver that has the thumb piece  cut off after partially pulling the trigger,but  you can be sure that someone has done it,somewhere.

Trying to do this by using your other hand and  fingers to hold the hammer back is NOT safe and you should NOT try to do it that way.

If "push comes to shove",point the revolver at the ground and pull the trigger to fire it.

This is just a safety warning for those who don't understand how these things work.

BTW,for those who  are concerned about this,Smith and Wesson makes an 8 shot lightweight "hammerless" 22 caliber revolver. It  is  the  Model 43C,and the only one  with  an  aluminum frame,which means it would be very useful for concealed carry.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/j-frame-103043

It is also made in .357 Magnum caliber (Don't even THINK about buying it),and in .38 Special,which may be a practical option for some of you.

For those of  you who want small and light,they also have the model SKU: 103351 22 Magnum with a MSRP: $769.00

You may well find similar models from other manufacturers if you search  the web,but this will give you some idea of what is available and the prices being asked. Do NOT forget that the manufacturers suggested retail price is NOT always the sale price. Haggle.

BTW,WTH is this "state compliance" crap? Is the  US Constitution NOT  in effect in some states?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 05:54:52 pm by sneakypete »

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 05:35:25 pm »
The Best Revolvers For Women

I ran the idea of “revolvers for women” by my girlfriend. This was at least partially spurred when we were in a gun shop and she noticed pink and purple snubnose revolvers. . . and was not amused (she’s a pre-lock Smith fan, after all!). We chatted about the idea for a while, and I came to some conclusions. It seems that an awful lot of articles about “[fill in the blank shooting product] for women” are based on poorly considered criteria.-----

Ah, reminds me of the pink girl’s trains from Lionel in the ‘50s.  It didn’t go over too well.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 09:48:19 pm »
IMPORTANT SAFETY  NOTICE ABOUT REVOLVERS!

Do NOT cock the hammer on a revolver if the "thumb piece"  has been cut off for concealed carry!

If you do this,the only SAFE way to "uncock the hammer" is to shoot the revolver,or to do something like use a pair  of "Vice Grip" pliers on the hammer to make sure the firing pin does not contact the primer when you pull the trigger by clamping them as close to the part of the hammer that strikes the firing pin as possible. If you are forced to do this for some reason,you can then point the gun at the ground and remove the Vice Grip pliers.

No,I do NOT know of anyone who has used their thumb/other hand to manually cock a revolver that has the thumb piece  cut off after partially pulling the trigger,but  you can be sure that someone has done it,somewhere.

Trying to do this by using your other hand and  fingers to hold the hammer back is NOT safe and you should NOT try to do it that way.

If "push comes to shove",point the revolver at the ground and pull the trigger to fire it.

This is just a safety warning for those who don't understand how these things work.

BTW,for those who  are concerned about this,Smith and Wesson makes an 8 shot lightweight "hammerless" 22 caliber revolver. It  is  the  Model 43C,and the only one  with  an  aluminum frame,which means it would be very useful for concealed carry.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/j-frame-103043

It is also made in .357 Magnum caliber (Don't even THINK about buying it),and in .38 Special,which may be a practical option for some of you.

For those of  you who want small and light,they also have the model SKU: 103351 22 Magnum with a MSRP: $769.00

You may well find similar models from other manufacturers if you search  the web,but this will give you some idea of what is available and the prices being asked. Do NOT forget that the manufacturers suggested retail price is NOT always the sale price. Haggle.

BTW,WTH is this "state compliance" crap? Is the  US Constitution NOT  in effect in some states?
S&W model 642 (hammerless, airweight) in .38 +P

No hammer to snag, reasonable trigger, good, small, close range revolver. My wife had one.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2024, 09:51:48 pm »
No hammer to snag, reasonable trigger, good, small, close range revolver. My wife had one.
That looks like my sister's gun. Now, if I could just get her out to the range more often!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2024, 10:25:12 pm »
That looks like my sister's gun. Now, if I could just get her out to the range more often!
DO! Pistol shooting is a perishable skill, for some reason. (unlike rifle).

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2024, 11:08:26 pm »

@Smokin Joe

It would be my pick if I were looking for a snubby,but I already have one in 22 caliber.

IF I lived in a city,I would probably spring for the 38 Special version as an "everyday carry piece",but I still think the 22 caliber version is a better choice for new female shooters due to it fitting into a purse or pocket,is much lighter,has a MUCH lighter recoil than the 38 caliber version,plus it is a LOT cheaper to shoot for the necessary target practice for a newby handgun shooter.

Practice might not make you perfect,but it will definitely make you a LOT more competent when it comes to hitting what you are shooting at.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2024, 11:40:51 pm »
@Smokin Joe

It would be my pick if I were looking for a snubby,but I already have one in 22 caliber.

IF I lived in a city,I would probably spring for the 38 Special version as an "everyday carry piece",but I still think the 22 caliber version is a better choice for new female shooters due to it fitting into a purse or pocket,is much lighter,has a MUCH lighter recoil than the 38 caliber version,plus it is a LOT cheaper to shoot for the necessary target practice for a newby handgun shooter.

Practice might not make you perfect,but it will definitely make you a LOT more competent when it comes to hitting what you are shooting at.
My wife liked it. Frankly it is light compared to a steel frame, and without a hammer to snag, a perfect parka pocket gun. If need be, shoot through the pocket, because you can always get a new coat. I told her to just point it if the need arose and shoot right through whatever, without even drawing it if she didn't have to if the assailant was close. Not too much will foul it. She never had to use it, but it was there.

C S Lewis