Author Topic: Welcome to the Shooting Range  (Read 1920 times)

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Welcome to the Shooting Range
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
With the blessings of the owners of this forum, we are providing a forum topic for all things that go boom.  From shooting, to gunsmiths, to rights. Remember, you are the first defense of your life, liberty, and property.

To tell you about myself. I am an enthusiast. I am not a professional gunsmith or instructor although I have been helping people learn skills for several years. I am an amateur with a collection, that was sadly lost in a boating accident,  :donttalktome" that consisted of about three dozen vintage and modern arms. I am here to learn as much as help with this forum.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:08:51 PM by Abaraxas »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Re: Welcome to the Shooting Range
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
Just to add a little update to what @AbaraXas said above...with the blessing of @mystery-ak we are going to add issues dealing with the 2nd Amendment to this area too.

Articles related to the myriad of things Liberals are trying to do to strip of us of our RTKBA as well as the efforts to stop the destruction of the 2nd Amendment are welcome here.

I am a shooting enthusiast as well.  And while not yet a member of the NRA...I plan on getting my membership when I return to the U.S. in a couple months as well as purchasing a couple of weapons as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »
Looking for a good smithy or knowledgeable person who can upgrade/replace a factory Ruger Mini30 firing pin to accommodate steel case ammo...I'm not looking for a factory pin, looking for one that is a harder (stronger) replacement for the factory pin.  I've also purchased a stronger hammer spring to go along with the mod.

I've shot steel case in it and have had about a 2-3% FTF...not bad, but I want 0% FTF...

Thanks in advance.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Elderberry

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
Looking for a good smithy or knowledgeable person who can upgrade/replace a factory Ruger Mini30 firing pin to accommodate steel case ammo...I'm not looking for a factory pin, looking for one that is a harder (stronger) replacement for the factory pin.  I've also purchased a stronger hammer spring to go along with the mod.

I've shot steel case in it and have had about a 2-3% FTF...not bad, but I want 0% FTF...

Thanks in advance.

I know this is an old thread.

On the FTF rounds, did you check the primer indentation? Were they light hits? Did you load them again to see if they would fire on a second or third hit to determine if the primers were bad. If the indentations were good, then it is not a firing pin problem. More likely bad ammo.

If they were light hits, by all means install the stronger spring. I would just use the factory pin and have a spare in case it fails. You shouldn't need a gunsmith.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
@Elderberry

At the time, I thought they were just "bad" rounds...didn't look at the primers or cycle them through again to check.

Thanks for the advice/tips.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Elderberry

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
Ruger Mini 30 vs AK [Full Review]

http://www.tactical.center  http://www.tactical.center/ruger-mini-30-vs-ak-full-review_a87a0d60f.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s-mIzcHFQ&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s-mIzcHFQ&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Description

The Mini-30 failed to impress us on several levels. Covered in the video is its awful reliability, mediocre accuracy, lack of versatility, and high cost. Several different loads were tried in both desert and range testing. Better options exist in the form of the many excellent AK variant rifles exist. They too are possessing of quirks but you can count on them with your life. It would seem its 7.62x39mm chambering has transformed the excellent and time proven Mini-14 into something else. After shooting the Mini-30 we would not put it into any serious POU and we were astonished that Ruger markets this carbine with these known problems.

Nutnfancy Likability Scale: Not Recommended at this time

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
Ruger Mini 30 vs AK [Full Review]

http://www.tactical.center  http://www.tactical.center/ruger-mini-30-vs-ak-full-review_a87a0d60f.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s-mIzcHFQ&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s-mIzcHFQ&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Description

The Mini-30 failed to impress us on several levels. Covered in the video is its awful reliability, mediocre accuracy, lack of versatility, and high cost. Several different loads were tried in both desert and range testing. Better options exist in the form of the many excellent AK variant rifles exist. They too are possessing of quirks but you can count on them with your life. It would seem its 7.62x39mm chambering has transformed the excellent and time proven Mini-14 into something else. After shooting the Mini-30 we would not put it into any serious POU and we were astonished that Ruger markets this carbine with these known problems.

Nutnfancy Likability Scale: Not Recommended at this time
Thanks for the video.  They're correct in saying "shame on Ruger".  Nothing "tactical" about an $800 rifle that requires brass ($1 per round) ammo to shoot reliably, but with mediocre accuracy.

It doesn't like the Eastern European steel case ammo / primers, although there are a couple of brands that do pretty well vs. some of the others...that's why I'm adding a stronger hammer spring and firing pin to overcome that FTF problem (hopefully).  It's not bad for short range accuracy.  I haven't fired it in some time, should think about getting out soon.

I hesitate to go for any AK or AR variant here in CA...for obvious reasons, so that's why I chose the Mini 30.  Once I leave CA, you can bet that an AR or AK/SKS will be purchased in very short order.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
Thanks for the video.  They're correct in saying "shame on Ruger".  Nothing "tactical" about an $800 rifle that requires brass ($1 per round) ammo to shoot reliably, but with mediocre accuracy.

@SZonian same line of thinking is what stopped my wife from getting a Kimber .380 and goinginstead with a Sig P238.

Kimber made it clear you should only fire "premium ammo" in their pistols if you wanted them to operate properly.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
@SZonian same line of thinking is what stopped my wife from getting a Kimber .380 and goinginstead with a Sig P238.

Kimber made it clear you should only fire "premium ammo" in their pistols if you wanted them to operate properly.
@txradioguy

I truly don't understand/comprehend Ruger's position on this...they don't have to change much on this rifle to make it a competitor in the 7.62 market.  Yet, they won't.   :shrug:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf