Author Topic: Tiny 9mm Pocket Pistols- The Shooter's Blog  (Read 5133 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Tiny 9mm Pocket Pistols- The Shooter's Blog
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:02:06 am »
From Cheaper Than Dirt- http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/

The pocket 9mm craze is not going away anytime soon. It is quickly becoming the standard in concealed carry. Where pocket .380s used to be the norm, these little 9mm guns have taken a foothold, firmly planting themselves as the preferred cartridge for carrying around firepower. One of the problems with carrying a modern semi-automatic gun on your person is that is has to be small. In many states, it is illegal to show an imprint of your gun through your clothing, so thin guns work best for concealing. To create a thinner handgun, manufacturers went back to the roots of semi-auto guns making the single stack class of guns. Single stack simply means that the cartridges in the magazine are directly on top of one another, instead of alternating from left to right. Using a single stack magazine saves space, but there is a heavy cost on ammunition capacity. Most single stack guns only carry six to eight rounds. In most cases that amount is plenty. Keep in mind the intention behind these guns is for concealed defensive purposes, not duty or home defense. We lined up a group of single stack 9mm guns that are popular on the market today, and decided to highlight some features that we think stand out.
Kel-Tec PF-9
Kel-Tec PF-9

Kel-Tec PF-9

The Kel-Tec PF-9 has a reputation for being a low-cost, reliable, concealable, and accurate weapon. The magazine holds seven rounds, and has an optional extended baseplate for a more comfortable grip. This is a very popular gun for concealed carry and Kel-Tec has made a name for themselves in the small pistol community. The trigger is a bit heavy at first, but once you get used to it, this pistol shoots like a dream. I personally own two of these and I couldn’t be happier.

Kahr CM9
Kahr CM9

Kahr CM9

The Kahr CM9 is an incredibly reliable little handgun. This pistol is a more affordable version of their older CM9. What makes Kahr pistols so great is their trigger. Since they had concealed carry in mind, they made the trigger long and smooth. So smooth in fact that it is one of the most comfortable concealed carry guns to shoot that we have ever tried. It is small enough to throw in a pocket or carry in a concealable holster. The polymer frame helps keep the weight down, and the magazine carries six rounds.

Beretta NANO
Beretta Nano

Beretta Nano

The Italians wanted in on the concealed carry market, so we got the Beretta Nano. This little spitfire is ideal for pocket carry, and has a very modern looking design. Shooters know Beretta for making quality guns, not only on the battlefield but on trap fields as well. The Nano is new and has a lot to prove, but early reviews seem promising. The Nano’s extremely low profile, snag free design makes it easy to carry and draw from concealment. The Nano carries six rounds in the magazine, and has adjustable sights for more precise work. This may be an interesting addition to the concealed carry world.

Ruger LC9
Ruger LC9

Ruger LC9

Ruger officially announces this little gun at the 2011 SHOT Show in Las Vegas. The LC9 is a double-action-only, hammer-fired, locked-breech pistol with a smooth trigger pull. Ruger makes control and confident handling of the LC9 possible through reduced recoil and aggressive frame checkering. This feature helps the operator get a positive grip in all conditions. The LC9 also features smooth “melted” edges for ease of holstering, carrying, and drawing. The magazine carries seven rounds and the rear sights adjust for windage.

M&P Shield
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield

Shield

There is a lot of buzz surrounding this gun as of late. Smith & Wesson’s M&P line of guns have been hugely successful, and with good reason. M&P is synonymous with quality, and the Shield is no different. The M&P Shield has a seven round magazine and adjustable grips. The sights are spectacular, and I have to say it is a real pleasure to shoot. The trigger is smooth, long, and light, perfect for a carry gun. We like the Shield so much, several of us went out and purchased them. For now, they can be a little hard to find, but if you are one of those lucky ones, pick up a Shield and try it out.

Walther PPS
Walther PPS

Walther PPS

An odd-looking pistol with modern styling and features, the Walther PPS is very popular in the defensive handgun market. The PPS is very thin and holds six rounds in its smallest magazine. This short recoil-operated locked breech semi-automatic pistol uses a modified Browning cam-lock system adapted from the Hi-Power pistol. The PPS has a glass fiber-reinforced polymer frame and steel slide assembly. It is as reliable as it is high tech, and Walther lives up to their name with this little gun.

Kimber Solo
Kimber Solo

Kimber Solo

The Kimber solo maintains 1911 ergonomics with an incredibly tiny size. Arguably, the best-looking pistol in the concealed carry group, the Kimber Solo shoots as elegantly as it looks. With a barrel length of just 2.7 inches, Solo pistols are easy to carry and conceal. Many of the features borrowed from 1911 pistols also make them exceptionally safe. A manual ambidextrous thumb safety, checkered slide release, and an ambidextrous magazine release button enable fast and intuitive operation. On top of all that, Kimber installed a single-action striker-fired trigger pull that is both even and smooth. Solo frames are machined from the finest aluminum and finished in KimPro II, a premium finish that is self-lubricating and extremely resistant to salt and moisture. Kimber cut the slides and barrels from stainless steel, increasing durability. The edges are rounded and blended; the slide serrations are deep enough to work well. The dovetail-mounted three-dot sights are quick to target. This is an excellent pistol for concealed carry, and is one of my personal favorite designs.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Tiny 9mm Pocket Pistols- The Shooter's Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:04:55 am »

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:06:21 am »
Images and more details at the links.

Personally I carry Walther and CZ. My Walther PPK for every day carry due to its small size, and frankly, it is my favorite of all my guns. I'll carry either a Walther P99 or CZ75 if it is a place where I think I may need a little larger caliber.

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:08:30 am »
Chief, there is nothing like a good 1911. Sadly, a quality one is something missing from my collection. I have several that use 1911 style frames, but I am looking for a good old Colt M1911 A1.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:21:40 am »
Chief, there is nothing like a good 1911. Sadly, a quality one is something missing from my collection. I have several that use 1911 style frames, but I am looking for a good old Colt M1911 A1.

My Grandfather had a M1911 that got lost or stolen in the shuffle to clean out their house after he and my grandmother had to move into assisted living.  He showed it to me once; he kept it loaded and in his night stand for years.  I don't think it had been cleaned since the War (that's WW-1) he only had one magazine for it and it was given to him by one of his uncles who was issued it new when he was in the Army.  I had no idea then how much it was worth, even in the condition it was in.  It was in dire need of a professional gunsmith's attention, and I would have loved to have it now to go shooting with once in a while just to show it off.....

Alas....

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:26:52 am »
  Chief, I think we need our own little banglist forum topic here. :-)

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:56:03 am »
Giddyup.  I have a S&W .380, but a small 9mm is intriguing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:45:55 am »
I have a Ruger SR9c, which is the best of both worlds.  It has a 17-unit cartridge handle that gives the weapon a little bulk, or I can insert the 9-unit handle which makes it quite a compact conceal and carry.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »
I have two Colt 1911 rail guns (consecutive serial numbers!) and a Taurus 1911.  I also have the Colt .22LR version for plinking.  Love 'em all.  The Taurus is quite impressive for the $$.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline oldenuff2no

• Retired Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:57:03 am »
I gotta ask why a 9MM?   I carry a springfield XD40 sub compact.  Same frame as the 9MM but with more impact energy.   It is easy shooting and drops back on target quickly.  Don't most of these other 9's also have a .40 counterpart built on the same frames that are basically the same size?
I gotta brag a wee bit.  My XD40 has night sights, a powder river trigger kit, a spring kit and the double action trigger pull is crisp and just under three pounds.  No creep/long take-up, and almost no over travel.
I didn't like the trigger on the stock pistol and the powder river parts really put it right.   I'm a smith, certificates from Lassen college Susanville ca., and the kit was easy to install with perfect fit.   I will give folks a warning about the spring kits,   You can get them very light.   Do not take them down too far on a carry gun.   With this piston you don't want to have your finger inside the trigger guard if you don't have a legitimate target in front on you.  I had another set of springs in it that took it down to right at 2 pounds.   I took it out and put a mag through it and swapped the springs back to the way they were before I messed with it.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote out a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for the sum of 'up to and including my life'.