Author Topic: Jury Finds Baseball Star Roger Clemens Not Guilty On All Counts  (Read 2809 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story?storyid=155306571

Jury Finds Baseball Star Roger Clemens Not Guilty On All Counts
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on twitterShare on emailShare on print|
By Eyder Peralta

Clemens was charged with lying to Congress about his use of performance enhancing drugs.

Monday, June 18, 2012

A jury found baseball star Roger Clemens not guilty on six charges that he lied to Congress in 2008 about his use of performance enhancing drugs.

As NPR's Nina Totenberg told us, the prosecution contended that Clemens needed the drugs to keep up with the game as he aged. But the defense struck hard at one of the prosecution's star witness, trainer Brian McNamee who was the only one who said he witnessed Clemens drug use first hand. McNamee testified he injected the pitcher with performance enhancing drugs. The defense used McNamee's estranged wife to contradict the trainer's testimony. McNamee also said he had exaggerated and changed his story when he talked to investigators in 2001.

The jury also heard from pitcher Andy Petite who indicated Clemens had told him he used performance enhancing drugs. During cross examination, however, Petite admitted that he might have misunderstood Clemens.

The AP reports:

"In reaching a verdict, the panel of eight women and four men had to decide whether Clemens's answers to questions from Congressional investigators and lawmakers were "material" or relevant to the work of committee "as distinguished from unimportant or trivial facts," according to the lengthy jury instructions.

"To find Clemens guilty of the obstruction charge, for instance, jurors had to unanimously agree that the all-star pitcher made at least one of 13 allegedly false or misleading statements on subjects including his use of vitamin B-12 and the circumstances of his wife's injection of human growth hormone."

This was Clemens' second trial on the perjury and obstruction charges. A judge declared a mistrial the first time around in the summer of 2011 after prosecutors showed evidence the judge had ruled inadmissible.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Jury Finds Baseball Star Roger Clemens Not Guilty On All Counts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:12:42 pm »
http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/233317-clemens-speaks-after-not-guilty-verdict-

Clemens speaks after verdict of not guilty
By Russell Berman - 06/18/12 05:15 PM ET

A federal jury on Monday acquitted former pitching superstar Roger Clemens of charges he lied to Congress about using performance-enhancing drugs during his baseball career.

The jury in a Washington, D.C., courtroom found Clemens not guilty on all six charges he faced stemming from his testimony before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee in 2008.

video at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:46:08 pm »
Why did Congress devote its time and our dollars to go after Clemons?  Haven't the foggiest--but will certainly put a big ole question mark into his entry into the Hall of Fame.   The same for Mark McQuire

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:57:40 pm »
"Lying to Congress" = Perjury

Congress Lying = Campaigning
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:17 am »
"Lying to Congress" = Perjury

Congress Lying = Campaigning

Love it!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:13:20 am »
What I want to know is what business does the Congress have, "investigating" professional sports, sports participants, etc.?

Seems they have far more important topics, like balancing the budget, protecting our borders, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:18 am »
What I want to know is what business does the Congress have, "investigating" professional sports, sports participants, etc.?

Seems they have far more important topics, like balancing the budget, protecting our borders, etc.

Time filler.  Time waster.  We can take our pick

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:21:58 am »
We all know he's guilty as hell.

He should have followed Andy Petitte's lead and made a come-back.....unjuiced.

edit:  in fact it wouldn't surprise me if he signs with somebody as a closer or something.  Yankees?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:23:51 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:39:48 am »

edit:  in fact it wouldn't surprise me if he signs with somebody as a closer or something.  Yankees?

Clemens will be 50 in August. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:41:51 am »
Clemens will be 50 in August. 

DUH!!    :thud:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:56:32 am »
DUH!!    :thud:

Crazy, isn't it?

Some years ago, I saw Roger Clemens pitch against the Indians at Jacobs Field in a playoff game.  It went extra innings and I believe the Indians won.  My brother was going through a bad divorce and I lined up the tickets for us to go.  That was when the Indians were selling out everything and I always told Mrs. Lando that tickets were hard to come by.  My brother came into town and I snagged tickets for a playoff game.  Mrs. Lando still teases me about that...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:42:11 am »
Crazy, isn't it?

Some years ago, I saw Roger Clemens pitch against the Indians at Jacobs Field in a playoff game.  It went extra innings and I believe the Indians won.  My brother was going through a bad divorce and I lined up the tickets for us to go.  That was when the Indians were selling out everything and I always told Mrs. Lando that tickets were hard to come by.  My brother came into town and I snagged tickets for a playoff game.  Mrs. Lando still teases me about that...

I must have lost a decade there.   I can still 'see' him throw Piazza's bat head off the playing field....too close to Piazza who was running toward 1st base.

Clemens Throws a Bat at Piazza

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:21 am »

They have hearings on sports- and entertainment-related topics and just so celebrities appear on Capitol Hill, then the members get the celebrities' autographs. Remember Meryl Streep testifying about an apple pesticide or Jack Klugman ("Quincy M.E.") testifying about "orphan drugs." It's pure silliness.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org