Author Topic: Are You Addicted to Facebook?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline U-238

• inactive members no email
  • A Supporter of the U.S Military-Industrial Complex
Are You Addicted to Facebook?
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:31:24 am »

As the amount of time Facebook users spend on the social network continues to increase, a psychologist out of Norway has developed an evaluation tool to identify Facebook addiction in patients.

As mentioned with the academic journal Psychological Reports, Dr. Cecilie Schou Andreassen has published results of a research project conducted at the University of Bergen in Norway that identified addiction levels in people that frequently use Facebook and other social media networks. Based off a study of 423 people completed last year, researchers discovered that young people were more likely to be addicted to Facebook and women were more likely to be addicted than men. In addition, people with social anxiety or insecurity were more likely to be addicted to the social network, mostly because it’s easier to communicate online rather than in person.

The Bergen Facebook Addiction Scale identifies the warning signs of Facebook addiction within six statements and asks the respondent to assign a weighted response to each statement. Responses are numbered on a range of one to five and are labeled “Very rarely, Rarely, Sometimes, Often, and Very often.”

If the respondent rates four out of the six questions as “Often” or “Very often,” Dr. Andreassen concludes that the respondent is likely addicted to Facebook. The statements basically measure how preooupied the respondent is with Facebook and how Facebook use is impacting their personal and professional lives.

Specifically, the six statements are as follows:

1.You spend a lot of time thinking about Facebook or plan use of Facebook.
2.You feel an urge to use Facebook more and more.
3.You use Facebook in order to forget about personal problems.
4.You have tried to cut down on the use of Facebook without success.
5.You become restless or troubled if you are prohibited from using Facebook.
6.You use Facebook so much that it has had a negative impact on your job/studies.
Respondents that scored high on the scale also had issues with their sleeping habits, typically going to bed late and waking up late. The results of the study also indicated that organized, ambitious respondents were less likely to be addicted to Facebook, but more likely to use professional social networks for business and networking.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/are-you-addicted-to-facebook-psychologist-develops-tool-to-measure-addiction/#ixzz1y7zNacjh
"To do a great right, do a little wrong."(Merchant of Venice Act 4, Scene 1
“If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter” – George Washington

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Are You Addicted to Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:28 pm »
NO on all of them.   If it wasn't that my son's Scout Pack communicates via Facebook, I probably would not have it at all.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »

The novelty wore off rather quickly with me.  I haven't posted in forever.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »
The novelty wore off rather quickly with me.  I haven't posted in forever.

Same here.  My wife convinced me to sign up when our son in law was in Iraq, as a means of keeping up with what was going on, but that ended some time ago, and I was never that enamored with it in the first place.

What continues to amaze me is the incredible amount of personal information people insist on posting on these sites.  I mean, what is the first thing the local newspaper does when some young felon is arrested??  Why, they go straight to facebook where they download all the gangsta pics he's posted of himself and his friends, doing all manner of illegal things.

They all have the Freedom to surrender their right to privacy.  Its like the Egyptians using Democracy to vote Democracy out....

Offline Scythian

• I won't be told anymore that I've been brought down in this storm
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:35 pm »
Nobody in our family uses it. We hate it. Also, it's been a key tool leading to divorce in America and Europe, as much as 50% of the divorces in the EU are people hooking up with old flames they long forgot about but re-met over Facebook. I hope it fails, it's stock plummets to a penny stock and it all goes under.
It is almost a law of history that the same wealth that generates a civilization announces its decay. For wealth produce ease as well as art; it softens a people to the ways of luxury and peace and invites invasion from stronger arms and hungrier mouths.

- Will Durant

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:19 pm »
The only thing I use it for is for is linking posts I make on another (real) site - because I get extra bennie points from the other site for linking posts to facebook.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 08:51:09 pm »
I use FB for posting conservative stuff a lot.  I couldn't care less what people think of me for it--nobody's unfriended me yet that I know of.

The reason I post there is because I know I am reaching a few young (and maybe some not so young, but naive) minds (nephews, nieces etc) who can learn something from what I post.  Posting here is preaching to the choir.  Posting there (for me, anyway) is reaching people who otherwise would never read the conservative side of politics, or culture, for that matter.

I know I've shell-shocked some people from my church who listen to NPR all day, but I know for a fact I've reached one or two of them, too.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

Good post.  Caring enough to lay open to public derision is a great and selfless act, Lipstick. 

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

The future belongs to the young.