Author Topic: How to grill the perfect steak  (Read 3684 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How to grill the perfect steak
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:30:07 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/06/13/how-to-grill-perfect-steak/print

How to grill the perfect steak

By Todd Simon

Published June 13, 2012

| FoxNews.com

As a fifth-generation, family owner of Omaha Steaks, I literally grew up grilling. It’s my heritage. My great, great-grandfather started the company and for nearly 100 years, we’ve been working to help our customers to master the art of grilling the perfect steak.

I had great teachers in my dad and other family members, but I have had my share of grill disasters, too.

Above all, I think it’s important not to be intimidated by grilling. If you start with delicious Omaha Steaks, have the right tools and use our tried and true tips for grilling the perfect steak, you can’t miss.

[pullquote]

But back to the beginning. It really is important to start with a great steak. My personal favorite is a New York Strip. I use a gas grill, but there’s a lot to be said for charcoal grills, too. It’s really just a personal preference and in my case, I choose convenience as gas grills are ready to use so quickly.

Next, you need the right tools.

Here’s a list of what I consider to be the top six grilling tool “must haves”:

1. Extra virgin olive oil and an all-purpose seasoning like Omaha Steaks Signature Blend

Start by brushing the olive oil on both sides of the steaks and then sprinkle them with an all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper.

2. Tongs

Long handled tongs are the key to getting your steaks on and off the grill and flipping them safely. It’s a good practice to have two sets – one set for raw meat and the other for cooked.

3. A ruler

Use a ruler to measure the thickness of your steaks so you know how long to grill them to the perfect degree of doneness.

4. A timer plus a steak grilling chart or a steak app

Of course, I like the Omaha Steaks iPhone App, SteakTime – our app has an innovative grilling timer that enables you to create a personalized steak timer setting for all your guests – ensuring that everyone’s steak is grilled to perfection and ready to serve at the same time.

5. A meat thermometer

Once you’ve measured your steak and cooked it for the time indicated for the degree of doneness you want, use a thermometer to take the internal temperature of the steak to verify that it is ready. I use the iGrill Bluetooth temperature probe, which works with our Steaktime app.

6. A grill brush

This tool is crucial for getting the best flavor and sear marks on your steaks. Keeping your grill grates clean also keeps your food from sticking. Use the grill brush both before and after you grill to keep the grates clean.

Now that you've got the top tools, here are my top five five tips for perfect grilling:

1. Clean and pre-heat your grill on high.

2. Lightly oil and season everything before you put it on the grill. This helps the searing process and prevents sticking.

3. Sear the outside of the steaks when grilling, using tongs or a spatula to turn the meat, and cover the grill as much as possible during the grilling process to help lock in the great flavor and to prevent flare-ups. Never pierce the steak when grilling as that allows the flavorful juices to escape. Don’t press or squish the steaks or burgers when grilling either. Just let them be!

4. Use the 60/40 grilling method. Grill for 60% of the time on the first side, then grill 40% of the time after you turn over the food. This will give you an evenly cooked product.

5. Place your cooked meats on a clean plate and allow your foods to “rest” for two to five minutes before serving to retain moisture and juiciness.

Most steaks don’t take very long to cook on the grill, so be careful to avoid overcooking. You can always put a steak back on the fire, but it’s hard to correct an overdone steak disaster.

It’s also fun to experiment with different foods on the grill. The more variety the better.

Grilled vegetables, for example, taste great and the bright colors make an impressive presentation, alongside a perfectly prepared steak. My favorites for grilling are: asparagus, green onions, fennel, red bell peppers and Portobello mushrooms.

My advice is to just jump in and start grilling. Like any newly acquired skill, the more you do it, the more confidence you will have. And, if you start with a great steak and use the right tools and grilling tips, you can’t miss.

For more grilling tips, recipes and to download the SteakTime app you can visit www.OmahaSteaks.com.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: How to grill the perfect steak
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »
1. Catch a halibut.

2. Keep it alive until ready to cook it.

3. Enjoy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:54 pm »
1. Catch a halibut.

2. Keep it alive until ready to cook it.

3. Enjoy.

I grill vegies all the time on the grill. They had a lobster tail sale here yesterday, tomorrow I'm having grilled lobster for dinner -- yummm
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:27:49 pm »
Steaks are great!  These days I work with chopped beef.  And there is an iphone app for cooking steaks?  Really?  Need to get out more

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:43:44 pm »
You cannot properly cook red meat on gas grills.  You must use hardwood charcoal heating cast iron.

For seasoning I use Kosher salt, some fresh cracked sharp black pepper, and a dash of Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub.  I dust both sides well, cover and let it sit on the counter to warm up a bit right before I grill it.

Works like a charm....

:beer:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:42:32 am by Chieftain »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:49 am »
As a fifth-generation, family owner of Omaha Steaks, I literally grew up grilling.

“must haves”:

1. Extra virgin olive oil and an all-purpose seasoning like Omaha Steaks Signature Blend

Nah, we're not trying to sell anything in this article...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:04:40 am »
I have never tried olive oil, has anyone else?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:34:39 am »
Go find a talented chef (chief??) who knows how to grill 'em!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:42:20 am »
I have never tried olive oil, has anyone else?

I use Olive Oil, but lately Rice Oil because Dr. Oz says it is really healthy for us to use Extra Virgin Rice Oil.,
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 03:43:53 am »
Go find a talented chef (chief??) who knows how to grill 'em!

My steak last night was perfecto... the lobster tail the night before  -- ummm, yumm good!

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:10:54 am »
You cannot properly cook red meat on gas grills.  You must use hardwood charcoal heating cast iron.

For seasoning I use Kosher salt, some fresh cracked sharp black pepper, and a dash of Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub.  I dust both sides well, cover and let it sit on the counter to warm up a bit right before I grill it.

Works like a charm....

Great recipe!  You bring the steaks, and the grill, and I'll bring whatever else needs bringing!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:56 am »
Call it a champagne appetite, but I can only enjoy beef tenderloin steaks.

I saute chopped garlic in a little olive oil and then singe both sides of the steak on the stove-top.\

Then, I wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them for about 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

.....because I can't grill a damned thing without burning it.   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »
You cannot properly cook red meat on gas grills.  You must use hardwood charcoal heating cast iron.

My steaks are not on the grill long enough to know if it was gas, charcoal, or a welders torch. Well coated with Johnny's Seasoning, and a few splashes of Worcestershire, and Rare.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 11:31:09 pm »
Call it a champagne appetite, but I can only enjoy beef tenderloin steaks.

I saute chopped garlic in a little olive oil and then singe both sides of the steak on the stove-top.\

Then, I wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them for about 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

.....because I can't grill a damned thing without burning it.   LOL!

No offense, DF, but baking a good state is blasphemy.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 12:59:57 am »
No offense, DF, but baking a good state is blasphemy.

Remember...they're coated with browned garlic and singed.

Singed....just like you'd get on a grill.

Now when they're done, they are butterflied  and made into steak sandwiches with caramelized onions and your favorite condiments on Kaiser rolls.

:thud:

Have ruined too many tenderloins on my grill.....never take the time for the coals to get white.  LOL!

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 01:09:25 am »

For seasoning I use Kosher salt, some fresh cracked sharp black pepper, and a dash of Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub.  I dust both sides well, cover and let it sit on the counter to warm up a bit right before I grill it.

Works like a charm....

Out of all the techniques here, that is the closest to my way too.  I've tried oil, didn't notice a big difference.  Meat thermometer is a must for a perfect outcome, so is warming up the steak so it cooks thru better.  Mesquite or hickory wood chips over the charcoal is a nice touch, too.  My husband used apple or peach wood when doing pork or chicken.

I have to admit, I haven't done ANY of this stuff since my husband (the griller and BBQer) died, but I'll probably break down and get his Weber out soon.

Rappy--I bought on-sale lobster tails last weekend too!  They are in my freezer--I never can seem to find the time to cook these days.  Soon, I hope.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »
I did a beef tenderloin for Easter. I had never done a whole one before so I found this on you tube and it was fantastic! It was perfectly cooked. Combination grilling and baking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjgiSWi9hy8

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02