Author Topic: I'll Have Another Scratched from Belmont Stakes  (Read 2343 times)

Offline R4 TrumPence

I'll Have Another Scratched from Belmont Stakes
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »
http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Ill_Have_Another_Scratched_from_Belmont_Stakes_123

Trainer Doug O'Neill announced on Dan Patrick's radio show that I'll Have Another will be scratched from the Belmont Stakes.

When asked by Dan Patrick if we would see I'll Have Another race again, O'Neill responded that if he had to gamble we have already seen I'll Have Another's last race.

There will be a press conference at 1pm ET.

TVG reporters are speculating that it is a tendon issue that has caused the scratch.  Apparently, veterinarians were at the barn with ultrasound machines, which would be consistent with a tendon injury.   

Note:  The above photo was taken Friday morning at Belmont Park.

UPDATE: From the I’ll Have Another Press Conference:
Statement from trainer Doug O’Neill:
“It has been an incredible ride and an incredible run.  I’ve taken so many notes, a lot of mental notes, I know we’re going to be back here again.

I know some people have asked if I thought the detention barn had anything to do with this.  And absolutely not.  It was just a freakish thing.  He has been shown a little bit of, you know he’s been a little quiet the last few days of galloping, but his legs have been great. 

Yesterday, he galloped great, but in the afternoon we noticed some loss of definition in his left front leg. To which, like every other owner and trainer we prayed he just kind of hit himself and it was just a little bit of skin irritation. We did him up in a special poultice.  This morning he looked great, so I thanked the racing gods there. 

And we did just a little easy gallop with him today.  I thought he looked great on the track. Cooling out, you could tell the swelling was back. At that point I didn’t feel very good.  At that point I talked to Mr. Reddam and immediately we got Dr. Hunt over here.

He scanned him and said it was just the start of tendinitis in his left front tendon.  And you know you could give him 3 to 6 months and start back with him.  But he’s done so much, it was unanimous between the Reddams, my brother and I and everyone at the barn to retire him.

It is a bummer, far from tragic, but it is very disappointing.”

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Rapunzel

Re: I'll Have Another Scratched from Belmont Stakes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »
I was really looking forward to him potentially winning the triple stakes tomorrow.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »
You have to respect (and admire) the caution of the owners. 

Dang! I wish he could could have given the Triple Crown a shot.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Scythian

• I won't be told anymore that I've been brought down in this storm
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:45 pm »
Out to stud for him, life's going to great for him  :beer:

But ya, our whole family was all keyed up to watch, was going to be very exciting. Funny thing is my son actually picked him for the Kentucky Derby to win on a lark, we all pick a horse before the race. Just darn ...
It is almost a law of history that the same wealth that generates a civilization announces its decay. For wealth produce ease as well as art; it softens a people to the ways of luxury and peace and invites invasion from stronger arms and hungrier mouths.

- Will Durant

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »
Out to stud for him, life's going to great for him  :beer:

But ya, our whole family was all keyed up to watch, was going to be very exciting. Funny thing is my son actually picked him for the Kentucky Derby to win on a lark, we all pick a horse before the race. Just darn ...

Yeah... no one would give a hoot if I had swollen tendons.  He's got a good gig going for him now, doesn't he?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »
Bull****. The trainers/owners were threatened, plain and simple.

There's a lot of money in high-stakes horse racing, and wherever there's money, there's mafia influence of some sort. The powers that be do not want a Triple Crown winner, and there have only been two times when that hasn't been the case: the Great Depression/World War II era (1930-48), and the 1970s. Both eras had multiple winners, but none outside those times since Sir Barton 1919.

Heck, I remember 2004 when the trainer let up on the Triple Crown contender in the closing seconds of the Belmont.

Horse racing's a crooked man's sport and wishing for a Triple Crown is like hoping Obama becomes a Republican. Not gonna happen.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »
Bull****. The trainers/owners were threatened, plain and simple.

There's a lot of money in high-stakes horse racing, and wherever there's money, there's mafia influence of some sort. The powers that be do not want a Triple Crown winner, and there have only been two times when that hasn't been the case: the Great Depression/World War II era (1930-48), and the 1970s. Both eras had multiple winners, but none outside those times since Sir Barton 1919.

Heck, I remember 2004 when the trainer let up on the Triple Crown contender in the closing seconds of the Belmont.

Horse racing's a crooked man's sport and wishing for a Triple Crown is like hoping Obama becomes a Republican. Not gonna happen.

If what you say is true, and this horse was never going to be a triple crown winner, then he's worth a lot more at stud now than he would have been as a horse that won 2 and lost 1.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024