Author Topic: The Vichy-Cons  (Read 4399 times)

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Vichy-Cons
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: The Vichy-Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »
Interesting and thoughtful read..... touches on one of my pet peeves - people who can't be bothered to vote yet complain like the dickens.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »
Interesting perspective, and interesting that you should bring this up...

Jonah Goldberg has a new book out...

I hear an interview with him on the radio today and his point is how liberals end conversations with cliches, like calling anyone on the right who disagrees with them a "Fascist", when they have no idea what fascism really is, or how to have any kind of reasoned conversation beyond the cliches they are throwing around.

Jonah specifically mentions the "Occupy" movement; for example when they ask a girl at an Occupy demonstration why she is there, they are told she is "Fighting against injustice", and when quizzed about what specific steps she is taking in her fight, or who she is taking those steps against, is completely clueless to go any further.

I see the same thing going on over at JimBo's place, and have for many years now.  Today the battle cry is "We are the rebellion!" and "We are the resistance!" without any clear idea about who "we" is, what form that rebellion or resistance is going to take, or who gives anyone on an intarwebs site the authority to declare a "rebellion" or define acceptable "resistance", much less what that has to do with getting Barack Obama voted out of office.

I've often found it useful to think about the sides on these issues in terms of plotting them on a bell curve, Left and Right on political conversations, and it is just amazing how you find guys like Jim Robinson and his Merry Few on one side, and Cindy Sheehan and her ever diminishing flock on the other....or any other number of excellent examples.  

Yin for Yang, up or down, left or right, the universe will balance....

The point here is that self-declared Mahdis are a dime a dozen and they pop up all over the place every few decades or so and in all religious and political stripes.  First there was political exploitation via radio, and when TV came along the charlatans came along with it.  Think about Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker and their PTL Club, and you may suddenly recognize a great deal in what we see continuing to occur via the internet.  

A lot of it is an ago old song updated for modern media, and that reinforces your comments perfectly.

Well written, and get Jonah's new book...

:beer:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:56:21 PM by Chieftain »

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
I see the same thing going on over at JimBo's place, and have for many years now.  Today the battle cry is "We are the rebellion!" and "We are the resistance!" without any clear idea about who "we" is, what form that rebellion or resistance is going to take, or who gives anyone on an intarwebs site the authority to declare a "rebellion" or define acceptable "resistance", much less what that has to do with getting Barack Obama voted out of office.

Thanks. This particular quote is one that has had me thinking for a while. A lot of people keep calling Obama a Hitler, of which my response is, if so, then what? When you hear then that the definition of rebellion is just to let him keep power and hope for the best, I can't take them seriously. Real rebellions have to do a lot of nasty things. Women in the French Resistance had to prostitute themselves out and some people now aren't willing to vote for a guy with magic underwear?  Your vote, your choice, but don't tell me you are rebelling if you are accepting Obama keeping power. 

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
Awesome posts!  This is good stuff!

Offline netmilsmom

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »
What exactly are each of us willing to do to save the future?
How many are playing checkers while those fighting against us are playing chess?

I need a future for my kids.  A future where they can go to church without a name written in a book by some government snitch neighbor.  That happened in Slovakia to people in my church.  I don't want it happening here/

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Thanks. This particular quote is one that has had me thinking for a while. A lot of people keep calling Obama a Hitler, of which my response is, if so, then what? When you hear then that the definition of rebellion is just to let him keep power and hope for the best, I can't take them seriously. Real rebellions have to do a lot of nasty things. Women in the French Resistance had to prostitute themselves out and some people now aren't willing to vote for a guy with magic underwear?  Your vote, your choice, but don't tell me you are rebelling if you are accepting Obama keeping power. 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »

Online kevindavis

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
Obama reminds me of Huey Long.
To Clear things up...

Mueller has been one of the most respected individuals on the planet over the last 20 years.

Mueller is a Republican

Mueller was appointed by Republicans

Mueller doesn't determine if someone is guilty, The Judge and Jury do!

Get it!!!!

“You can go to live in France, but you can't become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany, but you can't become a German... But anyone, from any corner of the world, can come to live in the United States and become an American.”

- Ronald Reagan

Offline Oldbrowser

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
Or in a recent case that comes to mind, they claim that the other candidate is just as bad.
IE., Alan Keyes: Obama vs Romney is 'a choice between Satan and Beelzebub'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf