Author Topic: [Josh] Hamilton, [Texas] Rangers looking historic  (Read 3261 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
[Josh] Hamilton, [Texas] Rangers looking historic
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:43 pm »

Josh Hamilton, Rangers looking historic

Josh Hamilton just completed a seven-game stretch in which he hit nine home runs, including a record-tying four in one game.

On the same night Josh Hamilton smashed two home runs against the Angels he also dove headlong into first base just as many times. The game last Friday represented a good snapshot of why Hamilton is the most compelling player in baseball today: he takes your breath away, whether admiring his talent or fearing he can't hold up.

The Texas Rangers' outfielder is a modern day Mickey Mantle, a supreme combination of power and speed with an underlying fragility caused by injuries and personal demons. How good he can be is only a matter of how long he can hold up.

"We've tried to get him to stop," teammate Michael Young said of Hamilton's ill-advised dives into first base. "But that's Josh. He doesn't know any other way, so we've come to live with it. I said it when he got here in 2008 and it's true today: He's the most talented player in the game. It's not like what he's doing now is a fluke. I hate to say this, but I don't even look at this as a hot streak. This is just what he's capable of."

Hamilton hit 18 home runs in Texas' first 34 games. You have to go all the way back to Cy Williams of the 1923 Phillies to find anyone who started a season with so many home runs so quickly. In a 14-game hitting streak, Hamilton has hit .396 with 10 home runs and 25 RBIs. Hamilton looks so scary right now that Angels pitcher C.J. Wilson, his former teammate, tweeted, "He might break bonds record this year, no joke." As much as it lacked in grammar, the observation rang with some truth. The Triple Crown, which no one has claimed since 1967, also becomes a legitimate possibility. Teammate David Murphy, while conceding the season has run just one-fourth of its course, admitted the early vibe is that something "historic" may be in the offing.

With Hamilton at the peak of his game, the Rangers, too, have the look of a team that may be historic. Texas is destroying American League competition. This could be the best team since the 1998 Yankees. It has no weakness. The Rangers have scored the most runs and allowed the fewest in the league. In the third year of a run-scoring recession around baseball, the Rangers are hammering teams. They have outscored opponents by 2.2 runs per game. The next closest team in the league, Toronto, has a run differential of only 0.6.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/05/15/josh.hamilton.rangers/index.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: [Josh] Hamilton, [Texas] Rangers looking historic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:02:15 am »
God... there is nothing like baseball at its best.  I love this guy simply because he is a human tragedy/success story simultaneously.  Thanks for posting.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10:04 am »
He ain't lookin' historic the last two nights.

0-4 last night, and 0-2 so far tonight, albeit with a sacrifice fly.  Against a pathetic Kansas City Royal team.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:13:06 am »
He ain't lookin' historic the last two nights.

0-4 last night, and 0-2 so far tonight, albeit with a sacrifice fly.  Against a pathetic Kansas City Royal team.

That's baseball!  Everyone is watching each pitch, each swing with this guy.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 03:13:52 am »
God... there is nothing like baseball at its best.  I love this guy simply because he is a human tragedy/success story simultaneously.  Thanks for posting.

I finally had a chance to catch 'Moneyball' on cable without paying extra for it.

"It's amazing how much I don't know about the game that I've played all my life"   ......Mickey Mantle.  That was a quote shown early in the film.

I have a special affinity toward baseball.  Played it all my life, Played on state championship teams...with the same guys since we were 10 years old.

It's a game that typifies life itself.

Thomas Boswell wrote:  "Baseball is like a church.  Many attend but few understand".

:beer:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:17:45 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 05:04:37 pm »
Things are crazy.  Up is down.....down is up.....

....and the Baltimore Orioles have the BEST record in baseball as of May 19, 2012.  From the basement to the penthouse.

"IT'S THE PITCHING, STUPID!"  or as Yogi once said.  "Baseball is 90% mental.  The other half is physical"   :silly:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:38 pm »
Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me."