Author Topic: House Plant Question: Help Please?  (Read 3134 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
House Plant Question: Help Please?
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:25:01 am »
House Plant Question:  Help Please?

I have two palm tree plants that have a white, cottony matter concentrated near the stalk/trunk.  After looking for information on Google, I decided to treat the plant for both insects AND disease.

The plants went into stress and the lower leafy stems while remaining green....are virtually hanging by a thread.

I'd put them outside but somebody would steal them, and yet they need the best chance to survive.

Can anybody tell by looking at the pics here what it might be?  One tree is 9 ft tall and don't want to lose it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

any suggestions?  ideas?  thanks
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline A.Hun

• Common sense is no longer common
    • Right of Atilla
Re: House Plant Question: Help Please?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:44 am »
That looks like mealy bugs. 

They are treatable, but tough to get rid of.
No one “makes” you do anything.

You are responsible for your choices.
Consequences may be grave, but only YOU have the ability to say yes or no. Don’t waste time blaming your choices, no matter how difficult, on others.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:32:58 am »
That looks like mealy bugs.  

They are treatable, but tough to get rid of.

I sprayed the plants thoroughly near the affected areas, but did it inside the house.  Maybe I'll have to do it again, outside.

Thank you for the suggestion of mealy bugs....will go look them up.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline A.Hun

• Right of Atilla
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 12:37:22 am »
Good luck! We love our houseplants, it looks like a greenhouse around here in winter!

We have fought mealy bugs many times over the years.

Consequences may be grave, but only YOU have the ability to say yes or no. Don’t waste time blaming your choices, no matter how difficult, on others.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:45:15 pm »
mealy bugs are the worst!

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:02:52 am »
mealy bugs are the worst!

I'm depressed.  One of the palms is over 9 feet tall.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:08:44 am »
I'm depressed.  One of the palms is over 9 feet tall.

Have you been over-watering it?  or brought any new plants in recently?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:16 am »
Have you been over-watering it?  or brought any new plants in recently?

The smaller palm was brought in from a vacant foreclosed property.

I should have know that it might be the culprit.

But I just can't let it die........ :shrug:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:37:44 am »
Well start cleaning it up and then stay vigilant... I might re-pot it.....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:23 am »
Well start cleaning it up and then stay vigilant... I might re-pot it.....

So you think it may originate in the soil and not on the leafy stem at the trunk....where the silky white powdery threads are?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:15 am »
If it is on the trunk, it likely is in the soil and unless you clean the plant up and re-pot it then you are more likely to get a re-infestation...  George used to use a Q-tip dipped in solution to clean up the white stuff, because you have to get down into all the crevices of the plant....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:46:21 am »
If it is on the trunk, it likely is in the soil and unless you clean the plant up and re-pot it then you are more likely to get a re-infestation...  George used to use a Q-tip dipped in solution to clean up the white stuff, because you have to get down into all the crevices of the plant....

Oy vey!

:thud:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:20 am »
Oy vey!

The particular palm you showed is sensitive to water lot... they prefer to be planted in a soil that drains easily and not over-watered.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 03:36:50 am »
You may want to call a horticulturist? 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:26 am »
When I was on Instructor Duty, we had a Marine Corps Major on staff who had a plant that he fed a steady diet of cigarette butts and stale coffee.  It was amazing how well it thrived, and I suggest you try it....

:beer:

Offline A.Hun

• Right of Atilla
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:19:25 am »
Oy vey!

Use isopropyl alcohol. Start with using a q tip dipped in alcohol to treat the white masses. Then use a 50/50 spray of water and alcohol. Treat them at least once a week.

The alcohol worked for us.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 10:46:57 am »
Use isopropyl alcohol. Start with using a q tip dipped in alcohol to treat the white masses. Then use a 50/50 spray of water and alcohol. Treat them at least once a week.

The alcohol worked for us.

Thank you, A.Hun     

Will try that right away....and weill also re-pot both of them.  UGH! 

Offline A.Hun

• Right of Atilla
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:55 am »
Thank you, A.Hun     

Will try that right away....and weill also re-pot both of them.  UGH! 

Good luck!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2004/2-27-2004/mealybugs.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6938_control-mealybugs-indoor.html

The second link looks like what you are seeking.  I loosked at images of mealybug infestation - to my untrained eye, it sure looks like that is what you are dealing with...

Good luck Amigo!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2004/2-27-2004/mealybugs.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6938_control-mealybugs-indoor.html

The second link looks like what you are seeking.  I loosked at images of mealybug infestation - to my untrained eye, it sure looks like that is what you are dealing with...

Good luck Amigo!

Thank you, Lando!    And thank you all for your assistance.

Will get started on this right away.