Author Topic: 7th Annual TexasCowboy Memorial Shoot  (Read 2611 times)

Offline TheMom

7th Annual TexasCowboy Memorial Shoot
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:40:20 am »
A little background for those that do not know about the TexasCowboy Annual Memorial Shoot.  TexasCowboy, aka El Roy, was a FReeper that passed away in October of 2005.  El Roy was a Christian, a Texan, an American, a Marine, a father, a great friend and a true Texas gentleman ~ and for the ladies, he gave the best ever hugs!

One of El Roy’s favorite past times was to get together with family, friends and FReepers at various shooting ranges around Texas.  After all the shooting was done, he would pull his BBQ pit out of the bed of his truck and cook a wonderful meal for everyone.

El Roy’s passing left a big hole in the hearts of those who knew him.  A few weeks after his passing my husband & I were talking about him, and all the good times we had together.  It was then we came up with the idea of honoring him by holding an annual shoot in his honor.  The rest, as they say, is history . . .  this October we will have our 7th Annual Shoot.

I would like to invite all of you to join us this year, and all subsequent years.  It is a chance to have a good time shooting guns (owning a gun is not a requirement, and those bringing their guns don’t mind sharing), eating great food and visiting with really wonderful people.

This year’s shoot will be held in Aransas Pass, which is 30ish miles north east of Corpus Christi.  The majority of the attendees will be staying at The Pelican Bay Resort in Rockport.

Here is the link to the FR planning thread  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2875090/posts that has all the information.

To the powers that be – if I place this in the wrong section, please move it to the proper place.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: 7th Annual TexasCowboy Memorial Shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:43:26 am »
Thank you for sharing this ......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline TheMom

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:58 am »
Thank you for sharing this ......
In my short two days of being a member here, I have learned there are a lot of Texas folk on this board.  I would hate for them to miss out on fun times.  Also, it doesn't hurt to give a heads up for the non-Texan members.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:36:53 am »
Well, I was born there and grew up spending every summer there..... there is no place in the country like Texas IMHO.....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:35 am »
In my short two days of being a member here, I have learned there are a lot of Texas folk on this board.  I would hate for them to miss out on fun times.  Also, it doesn't hurt to give a heads up for the non-Texan members.

The Texas crew is a tight crew. Driving from Texarkana to El Paso is half-way to California, yet that group seems tighter than freepers from any other State. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:53:00 am »
The Texas crew is a tight crew. Driving from Texarkana to El Paso is half-way to California, yet that group seems tighter than freepers from any other State. 

I honestly think it is a Texan thing.  My dad remarried and remained in TX while my mother moved us to CA.  To this day my sister resents hearing one of my stepsisters speak about our  dad (who was with Shamrock Oil Company) driving from Houston to Dumas to attend one of my stepsisters school functions... our mother, OTOH, most of the time could not be bothered to drive five minutes to attend something in CA... but daddy regularly made long treks across TX for family stuff.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:14 am »

Driving through Texas is awesome; I've driven through a few times, once when I was really little (down to Nuevo Laredo on our way to Mexico City) and then once cross-wise, West to East, and another from the North down to Austin and back when I was in undergrad.  The emptiness in some parts is absolutely beautiful.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:59:11 am »
I honestly think it is a Texan thing.  My dad remarried and remained in TX while my mother moved us to CA.  To this day my sister resents hearing one of my stepsisters speak about our  dad (who was with Shamrock Oil Company) driving from Houston to Dumas to attend one of my stepsisters school functions... our mother, OTOH, most of the time could not be bothered to drive five minutes to attend something in CA... but daddy regularly made long treks across TX for family stuff.

I haven't had a chance to meet the Houston crew in person but I've met many of the Dallas area folks at Tea Party events. I am determined to make it to one of the shoots if my work schedule permits.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:14:04 am »
TheMom, that's just outstanding of you and all of your friends, and I'm glad you shared it with us.  I'd happily join you but I'm a good four day drive from Texas and I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I will lift a glass to the memory of El Roy....

:beer:

Offline TheMom

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:11:23 pm »
Maybe it is a Texas thang, because we really are a tight crew.  Especially the Houston area group. Just yesterday there were 10 of us together at a fish fry ~ where I gained about 10 pounds!

Over the years, due to various political events & the TC shoots, I have met and stayed friends with a grunch of Texas freepers.

I know that El Roy is pleased that we have continued on with what he started.  Every year there has been nasty weather a day or two before the shoots, but the day of the shoots have always been beautiful.

Offline oldenuff2no

• Retired Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:31 am »
I like the sound of this get together.  I spent some time in Texas and made some good friends.   One of these years I may just have to wander down that way and do some shooting.   
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote out a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for the sum of 'up to and including my life'.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:49 pm »
I've seen the photos posted after past events, and it always looked like a lot of fun. The Houston bunch is more than welcome here!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TheMom

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:46:16 am »
Everyone is most welcome to join us.  You just can't beat hanging around with good people, good food and guns.   :laugh: