Author Topic: Elephants reunited after 20 years.  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Elephants reunited after 20 years.
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:12:25 AM by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Elephants reunited after 20 years.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
I am reminded of Sara Greun's book, "Water for Elephants."  I didn't see the movie (with Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon), but the book had scenes of the strange and sometimes brutal existence of circus animals.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
I am reminded of Sara Greun's book, "Water for Elephants."  I didn't see the movie (with Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon), but the book had scenes of the strange and sometimes brutal existence of circus animals.

I started to watch Water for Elephants last weekend and couldn't get through it.  I spent time last night reading the website for this refuge for elephants... it is located in TN outside Nashville.  Seems there is a couple of these  -- the one in TN and in California.  They tell the stories of these elephants and how they came to the refuge and it is heartbreaking. I didn't realize a lot of the elephants killed in Africa, for example, are not only killed for their ivory, but so the babies can be taken and sold to the company here in the USA who buys the babies for up to $25,000 and then leases them out to various circuses.... not to mention the zoos which are neither set up for proper elephant care or even know how to properly train elephants.    One of the elephants at this refuge -- Tarra -- had a dog that adopted her and vis-versa....... the dog was killed recently by coyotes and they had proof the dog was not killed where she was found, Tarra had carried her back to their favorite resting place and laid her there for the handlers on the refuge to find her....... they say Tarra is still mourning the loss of her canine friend.  The elephant in this video -- Shirley -- lost her companion, Jenny (the elephant she greeted so affectionately after 20 years) and now spends a lot of her time off in the woods alone... I think the way we allow these animals to be treated -- be it in a circus or a zoo says a lot about society -- none of it good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf