Author Topic: The President Runs Against the Supremes  (Read 1955 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The President Runs Against the Supremes
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:13 pm »
The President Runs Against the Supremes
April 02, 2012

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Here's Barack Obama.  He got a question this afternoon.  After last week's arguments at the Supreme Court, many experts believe there could be a majority five-member vote to strike down the individual mandate.  If that were to happen, if it were to be ruled unconstitutional, what would you do?  Would you still guarantee health care to the uninsured and those Americans who would become insured as a result of the law?

OBAMA:  Ultimately I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.

RUSH:  It wasn't.

OBAMA:  I just remind conservative commentators that for years what we heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism or a lack of judicial restraint. That an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law.  Well, this is a good example, and I'm pretty confident that this court will recognize that.

RUSH:  None of what he said is true.  He didn't define "judicial activism" properly.  Judicial activism is writing new law.  This is not judicial activism if they overturn it.  It's supporting the law.  It's confirming the law.  There was not a large majority.  This was not a bipartisan victory.  Here's the next sound bite.

OBAMA:  I'm confident that this will be upheld because it should be upheld, and again, that's not just my opinion.  That's the opinion of a whole lot of constitutional law professors and academies and judges and lawyers who have examined this law, even if they're not particularly sympathetic to this particular piece of legislation or my presidency.

RUSH:  What is that, not sympathetic to my presidency?  Yeah, the people who thought it's constitutional are shocked, and now they're beginning to look -- we've been through all this last week.  I don't need to re-trod past ground. But, folks, he also went on to talk about how unelected officials should not have any say-so in this matter.  It's almost like he expects this thing to be found unconstitutional. It's almost like he expects it to be struck down.  The real question here, here's a constitutional law professor, Barack Obama, and he doesn't know that his mandate's unconstitutional.  And the truth is, he doesn't care.  He really doesn't care.  There are more sound bites.  His answer rambled. It went on and on and on.  We'll have more on this tomorrow, folks. But it appears that he's crossing the line, separation of powers here, and wants to run against the Supreme Court.  That has not worked for presidents in the past.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH:  Hey, Mr. President, last time I looked, a bunch of unelected people created a national abortion law, and I think you were pretty cool with that, Roe v. Wade, 1973. A bunch of unelected people created out of whole cloth a right that doesn't even exist, doesn't even show up in the Constitution.  So, as usual, hypocritical as possible.

END TRANSCRIPT
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: The President Runs Against the Supremes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:40 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »
I am not certain what this had to do with a meeting between Obama and Calderone and Harper....... but I am equally offended that the president of Mexico had the audacity to lecture the USA about our healthcare!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »
Perhaps the Man Child was NOT a Constitutional Professor after all.

What else is he willfully ignorant about?
 (Do we have sufficient disk space?)
Faith is not believing God can
Faith is Knowing God Will

"Senators more than House members & both more than ordinary people, lie."

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:37 pm »
Perhaps the Man Child was NOT a Constitutional Professor after all.

What else is he willfully ignorant about?
 (Do we have sufficient disk space?)

It's suggested that perhaps Obama got a...shall we say sneak leak, and found out they're ruling against him.  So he's trying to intimidate them (or Kennedy)

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »
If you think Kagan and/or Sotomayor did not ring him up this weekend to discuss the Friday vote I have a bridge for sale in San Francisco.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:13:57 pm »
If you think Kagan and/or Sotomayor did not ring him up this weekend to discuss the Friday vote I have a bridge for sale in San Francisco.

IT makes sense, doesn't it?

Because he'd have to be mentally retarded to say this knowing they had ruled in his favor.

Yep....he's appealing to the mobs....."UNELECTED people dictating what a democratically elected Congress passed".

Thank God, Rush is right.....the SCOTUS do take the public sentiment into account.  And about 70% of Americans hate the Law.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:51 pm »
Obama is very skillfully pre-empting the other side, using the other side's terminology:

--class warfare

--judicial activism

.......etc.  Keep listening,as
he takes over the soundbites.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:54 am »

I am willing to take that bet; whatever else their merits or demerits are, they would never do something like that.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:19:13 am »
I am willing to take that bet; whatever else their merits or demerits are, they would never do something like that.

You honestly think Kagan didn't have him on speed dial Friday night?  I certainly do.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:37:46 am »
The tinpot dictator cannot stand to share power.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 02:46:21 am »
You honestly think Kagan didn't have him on speed dial Friday night?  I certainly do.

I am absolutely, positively sure that Kagan has not spoken to Obama or to anyone in the administration about this case, most particularly now that oral arguments have been had.  That sort of thing is known as "ex parte communication" - communicating with only one side of a dispute - and is universally frowned upon; in many instances, ex-parte communication by a judge can be grounds for censuring that judge.  Obviously, a Supreme Court Justice cannot be censured by any individual bar association or state disciplinary committee; however, the Court's institutional view of its own independence and integrity would almost certainly mean that any justice who consulted with an administration during the course of deciding a case in which that administration is a party would be severely admonished by the other justices, would almost certainly not be allowed to have any input into the decision in that case, and may even be removed from the case by the Chief Justice - courts like the Supreme Court have the inherent power to police their own proceedings and for something as egregious as ex-parte communication with the administration in a case in which the administration is a party in interest the Chief Justice could very well exercise that inherent power to remove the offending justice from the case and refer that justice to the Congress for impeachment proceedings.

Addenda:  On top of which, why would Kagan need to consult the White House?  She was the solicitor who developed the arguments in favor of Obamacare being constitutional, and she would already be intimately in tune with the political currents in the White House from her time as solicitor, so she would have no need to consult the White House now about Obamacare.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:13:59 am by Oceander »