Author Topic: Is the GOP Elite Ready to Concede?  (Read 993 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Is the GOP Elite Ready to Concede?
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:29 pm »
Is the GOP Elite Ready to Concede?
February 28, 2012

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Last night MSNBC, last word, Lawrence O'Donnell talking to John Heilemann of New York Magazine. "John, having been accused of being odd and perverse and demented, it makes perfect sense to me -- I know exactly what you must be thinking -- but please explain to America this go Rick go idea. What is this?"

HEILEMANN: Many Democrats take that as me encouraging people to be in favor of Santorum because he would be easier for the president to beat in the fall, and indeed, it is true. Most elite Republicans now believe that they are consigned to defeat this fall with either of these candidates, that there will be a reaction to that loss, and the reaction will be counter to -- to try to learn the lessons from what happened in 2012. If Santorum were to blow the election or to lose to Barack Obama, you might be able to see the Republican Party realizing that it's gone way too far into culture warrior, grassroots populism and try to make its way back towards a more constructive brand of conservatism -- and one that would serve the country well if they were to find their way there.

RUSH:  You need me to translate this 'cause this is all over the ballpark.  Basically Mr. Heilemann talks to Republican elites, establishment types, and he's simply reported what we all know.  They don't expect to win.  They thought Romney could win, but they weren't confident, but they were gonna support Romney anyway because he would protect them in the Senate and House races.  They might get the Senate.  They'll hold the House, they might get the Senate back, and then they get control of the money and then they can stop Obama.  But the Republican establishment has never really been confident Obama could win.

Now what Heilemann says, (paraphrasing) "Look, they're totally depressed, 'cause the only guy that had a chance was Romney, and now he's so damaged, Romney can't even win his home state, can't even win, can't even lead in the polling data. So neither of these guys can win, and the elite Republicans have given up.  The Republican establishment is consigned to defeat.  They have given up."  That's what Heilemann's report was all about.  They've caved, they don't think it's possible to win with either of these guys, and they're already anticipating why they're gonna lose, and they're starting to put together their explanation so they can learn from it for 2016.  That's what that means.

On Morning Joe today on MSNBC -- folks, it's the only network we can go to to get liberal comment.  I know I get sick and tired of it, but CNN is so confused, it's not even worth the time other than Erin Burnett's show, but there's not much else there. We have to go to MSNBC to find out what these people are saying, and F. Chuck Todd, and he, too, is reporting that the Republican establishment is ready to concede the nomination to Santorum.  Did you hear me?  Chuck Todd says the Republican establishment has thrown in the towel and they are now willing to concede this to Santorum and let him lose.

TODD:  We've allowed 20% of our party to control it.  And at this point let the 20% have this nomination.  The worst possible world now at this point will be Mitt Romney with this nomination because if he loses to Obama the conservatives will say, "Ah, another moderate," and the same ideological fight will take the party off the cliff for the next four years rather than, you know what, let the 20% have it, let 'em have this nomination, then we can rid the party of that 20%.

RUSH:  I believe that there are Republican establishment types that actually believe that.  I don't believe that F. Chuck Todd has to make that up.  I think that F. Chuck talks to 'em, and folks, the Republican establishment is so mad at you.  They're so mad at you.  You know why they're mad at you?  Because you didn't get behind Romney en masse.  The thinking is that 20% of the party has participated in this.  The most conservative, the ones that ruin the party, the social conservatives, the really dyed-in-the-wool conservatives, they have blown it. They've seen to it that the only guy that can beat Obama is not going to win it.

It's a reverse on, "Let the Democrats win. Let the country find out how bad it is and they'll never vote for 'em again."  F. Chuck is saying that the Republican establishment is saying, "Okay, let Santorum win it.  Let this kook fanatic win it and let him lose in a landslide so we can finally say to conservatives, 'Screw you!' in 2016.  You're the reason the party loses."  What F. Chuck is saying here is that the Republican establishment has given up on winning and instead is seizing an opportunity here to once and for all rid the party of conservatives in 2016 by blaming them for a landslide defeat that would surely happen with Santorum as the nominee.

END TRANSCRIPT

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Is the GOP Elite Ready to Concede?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:09 am »
Bob Beckle talks about them on The Five... they exist. Would love to see a list of names.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776