Author Topic: And the winner was.......  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Rapunzel

And the winner was.......
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:12:03 am »
And the winner was.......

This was posted on FB by GCNRA...... in all my years of going to Lake Powell I've never seen anything like this -- thank goodness!

And the winner is...wait for it...the centipede! Although the Giant Desert Centipede (Scolopendra heros) usually feeds on insects and other arthropods, these venemous hunters have been known to take lizards and even small mice as prey. Though their venom is mild to humans, a bite from one of these leggy critters would certainly ruin your day as they are reported to be quite painful. Ouch!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: And the winner was.......
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:56 am »
Wow... I am awake with a bad case of indigestion and I click on this!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »
Gross!  I remember how painful scorpion stings were when I lived in Texas--they are all over the Hill Country where Vic goes!  Those centipedes look nasty--ugh.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »
I run into dead scorpions around the house in Texas fairly regularly.  Never encountered a live one, though, or a live rattler.  Usually, I find dead scorpions under the sinks and in other humid places.  My wife has seen numerous giant centipedes out in the garden.  Between those and the fire ants, she has quite a fight on her hands.  There is also a lot of wildlife.  We have seen deer, bobcats, road runners, foxes, skunks, raccoon and quite a few other critters on our Texas property.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »
You are lucky.  I've been stung 6 or 7 times by scorpions.  It got to the point that, when I lived there, I would never put my shoes on without shaking them out first, I'd never stick my hand in a drawer, or a box, or up in a linen closet without checking it first.   I NEVER walked around barefoot without watching the floor in front of me.  I never put my feet down on the floor without looking first.

Don't even get me started on fire ants!  When I drove back here from Texas to move here, I think I got stung 4 times in 24 hours, at each stop I made before getting out of the state.  :laugh:  I still laugh about that--they couldn't wait to get rid of me!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:00:15 pm »
You are lucky.  I've been stung 6 or 7 times by scorpions.  It got to the point that, when I lived there, I would never put my shoes on without shaking them out first, I'd never stick my hand in a drawer, or a box, or up in a linen closet without checking it first.   I NEVER walked around barefoot without watching the floor in front of me.  I never put my feet down on the floor without looking first.

Don't even get me started on fire ants!  When I drove back here from Texas to move here, I think I got stung 4 times in 24 hours, at each stop I made before getting out of the state.  :laugh:  I still laugh about that--they couldn't wait to get rid of me!

You must be delicious...

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »

OMG.....how could you sleep with all that around you?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:09 pm »
Scorpions don't crawl up on you (at least not in my experience).  They just always happened to be "parked" where I was stepping or sticking my hand.  One time I picked up a planter and inadvertently brushed it up against me and a scorpion fell off and stung me on the leg, otherwise they were always hiding where I happened to be putting my hands or feet.

Texas is a different place from around here though.. many more nasty critters to be wary of.  Being able to walk barefoot on a lawn without worrying about fireants is such a luxury, and I do enjoy it here in Delaware!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:27 pm »
Scorpions don't crawl up on you (at least not in my experience).  They just always happened to be "parked" where I was stepping or sticking my hand.  One time I picked up a planter and inadvertently brushed it up against me and a scorpion fell off and stung me on the leg, otherwise they were always hiding where I happened to be putting my hands or feet.

Texas is a different place from around here though.. many more nasty critters to be wary of.  Being able to walk barefoot on a lawn without worrying about fireants is such a luxury, and I do enjoy it here in Delaware!

Fortunately for us, we are only in Texas during the winter months.  Most of the creepy, crawly things don't get really bad until spring sets in, I hear. 

My wife loves gardening in Pennsylvania, but being a Texas native, she thinks it's too easy.  Most years she does not even have to water.  Just plant and watch it grow.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »
I know. I grew up in North Jersey and enjoyed the same benefit.  I was shocked to learn what hard work it is to garden in Texas!  I DID grow fabulous tomatos in the TX hill country though (in raised beds with very good soil, however).   Better than what I can grow here--I just can't seem to get them enough sun with all the tall trees around.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:22 am »
I hate critters, George always reminded me I live in the desert and goes with the territory.  If the famine hits my dogs and I will have to move in with some of my northern friends who have gardens to subsist from.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776