Author Topic: Thoughts on Haley, Newt, Huckabee, McCain and Romney  (Read 2112 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Thoughts on Haley, Newt, Huckabee, McCain and Romney
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »
Thoughts on Haley, Newt, Huckabee, McCain and Romney
January 09, 2012

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I just got an interesting e-mail, and it reminded me of something.  I don't know what it was, 'cause it doesn't say, that spawned the question in the e-mail.  The person wanted to know, "Rush, why was Romney so disliked in 2008?"  By the candidates he was disliked, I don't mean so much by voters.  There's a reason for that.  Back in 2008, Romney was the only guy, much as is the case this time around, who had his own independent money.  Romney's independently wealthy, and people have forgotten it 'til this guy asked me this question.  I had, too.

Now, we talk often about how Huckabee and McCain joined forces, but there was a reason for it.  Romney was out running a series of negative ads against every Republican, and a lot of them resented the heck out of it, and he was doing it early in the Republican primary.  Giuliani hated it. I mean there were a number of Republicans back in 2008 who thought it was unnecessary and gratuitous.  And so Huckabee and McCain joined forces in West Virginia and a couple of other states.  In fact, you know what I say?  Huckabee, he's out there saying I loved me some Romney back in 2008, what's happened? I would say, what happened to you?  You hated Romney in 2008.  You're lined up against Romney in 2008, you and McCain did your best to take Romney out.  What's changed, Governor?

How come now Romney's the cat's meow and four years ago you couldn't stand the prospect of -- just 'cause you're not running this time around?  I don't recall when you got out of the race in 2008 you lining up with Romney.  All these people that tried to take Romney out in 2008 now are in his camp?  This is simply party politics.  I had dinner the other night with a lovely group of people who still have a high school civics 101 version idea of politics.  They think it's all about ideas.  And these people have -- I'll just mention, these people have done a lot to help Nikki Haley.  They're very angry at her now.  They've done a lot to help Nikki Haley in South Carolina, the governor, and these are Gingrich people, and they think they were led to believe that Nikki Haley would be in there supporting Gingrich.

They were telling me, "We don't know what happened, Nikki was so... and now she won't."  I said, "Well, don't blame her."  I tried to walk 'em through, I said, "What party is she a member of?"  "Well, she's Republican." "Okay, right, she's a governor, right?"  "Yes."  "To whom do you think she is going to be loyal for her own career advancement?  She's gonna do what the party wants."  It's no different, you know, freshman members of Congress are brought into the leadership, both parties.  It's part of their party orientation.  Okay, look, here's the way this works here.  You're freshman, and you're feeling your oats, but you're nothing unless we help you.  You don't get a committee chairmanship, you don't get a subcommittee chairmanship, you don't get a sub-subcommittee.  You get no campaign assistance, nothing, unless you support us.  If we can count on your vote, leadership, then you'll go far here.  If you're gonna stay independent maverick, then you're on your own and we're gonna be working against you.

It's no different.  It's a business.  It's the way it works.  So they were just sad that Nikki Haley has endorsed Romney.  They thought Nikki Haley would come out and endorse Gingrich.  It's not the way party politics works.  So I just find it fascinating that Huckabee and McCain, you name it, from the 2008 roster, hated Romney.  They were doing everything they could to sabotage Romney.  Now four years later, guess what?  They are loving themselves some Romney.  As the Huckster's out there saying, they're loving themselves some Romney. Now, they're asking me, "What happened to you?"  Well, yeah, there's no McCain in the race this time around.  Every race is different.  In 2008, Romney had an entirely different position among the candidates than he does now.

I haven't changed.  I'm still who I am, my ideas, I'm consistent.  I don't change.  And, by the way, I don't recall endorsing anybody in 2008.  And I think, you know, after McCain got the nomination, we did our best.  There wasn't a whole lot that could be done but we gave it our best here.  We did, Snerdley.  We did.  After the nomination took place.  But I think the question's only being asked half correctly.  Huckabee wants to run around and say, "Oh, Rush is being a big flip-flopper.  Rush flip-flopped!" No, you're flip-flopping.  Governor Romney was actually targeted by Governor Huckabee.  Governor Huckabee actually took steps to take Governor Romney out and now he is loving himself some Romney.  The question I think is for Governor Huckabee.  What's changed?  What's different?  Of course nobody's asking the question but me.

But anyway, the reason for bringing all this up, was this question I got from people, why is Romney so disliked?  And I think with all of this money that Romney has spent -- Romney hasn't, but his super PAC against Gingrich, it's a multimillion-dollar attack on Gingrich.  And I think, I could be wrong, but I think that may come back and haunt Romney because others have learned from him.  So people like Ron Paul now and a lot of the other candidates are now engaging in these scorched earth tactics because when Romney did it against Newt, it worked.

I think it's unfortunate it's come to this.  I don't like seeing any of this transpire.  But this is why Giuliani doesn't support Romney.  It's why Fred Thompson hasn't come out for him.  It's because they don't like the super PAC spending all this money in scorched earth and they remember it's what Romney did in 2008.  Now, it's also fair to say, hey, this is politics, this is what happens and money is the way this is -- and that's all true, too.  I'm not condemning Romney, don't misunderstand. I'm just saying that you start this process, you demonstrate that it works, you're gonna cause copycats, and it's now starting to take place.  Several others who were dealt this way by Romney or Romney's PACs in 2008 are now starting to respond in kind.  The media keeps asking, for example, what's Newt's problem with these attacks?  I mean this is politics.  What the hell does he expect?  And these are not attacks.  Newt's engaged in self-defense.  Newt was wandering around minding his own business, he got hit, he got hit, and he got hit, finally some people have sent him enough money that he can retaliate now.

It's not Newt that's doing the attacking.  It's Newt that's doing the defending.  And, you know, Romney took a chance, it helped him in Iowa, he was able to really cut Gingrich off at the knees in Iowa, and he showed the others that it's okay to slam away that way.  So they're now slamming away, everybody is slamming away at everybody on the Republican side.  It's just once it starts and once it's shown to be effective, then here come the copycats.  So Newt now is going after Romney on this Bain Capital business, and you might say that they're not defensive, but I don't know that Gingrich would be doing this had Romney not taken the steps he took in Iowa.  But Newt's out there saying, (paraphrasing) "This guy, he's not a conservative.  All he does is go in and take over companies and fire people, lays 'em off.  This isn't capitalism."  He's laying into Romney the way the Democrats are going to.  Bain Capital is going to be the Halliburton of 2012 if Romney does indeed get the nomination.

Bain Capital is Romney's hedge fund investment firm, and they did, they went over, they bought companies and in not very many cases but in some they downsized, let some people go, which is what happens, you streamline. One of the reasons the company was for sale was it was in bad shape, you buy it, you have to streamline it, make it more efficient, and that involves laying people off.  Now, grab sound bite 34. Romney, you have to tell me if he stepped in it here. (interruption) No, I know, Newt's ad on Bain Capital looks like something the Democrat National Committee will put out, and just like I didn't like in 2000 when George W. Bush said he wasn't gonna balance the budget on the backs of the poor.  No!  He was talking about compassionate conservatism, using the language of the left.

I know it's to get the moderates and the independents and so forth, and Newt is using the language of the left in going after Romney on Bain Capital. That makes me uncomfortable, too. That's what I mean: Once this stuff starts, Katie bar the door. So this morning in Nashua, New Hampshire, at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast meeting, Mitt Romney had a few words, and among those words that he spoke were these...

ROMNEY: I want individuals to have their own insurance. That means the insurance company will have an incentive to keep you healthy. It also means that if you don't like what they do, you can fire them. I like being able to fire people that provide services to me.

AUDIENCE: (laughs)

ROMNEY: If someone doesn't give me the good service I need I want to say, "You know, I'm gonna go to somebody else."

RUSH: Okay, now, there are -- let's see -- one, two, three, four, five, six, seven words here that are going to be: "I like being able to fire people." You can see the ad now, can't you? A smiling Mitt Romney with the biggest grin, biggest smile they can find -- huge -- right in the middle of the TV screen; underneath it: "I like being able to fire people." Newt will run an ad that says, "See, I Told You So!" (laughing)

END TRANSCRIPT

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Thoughts on Haley, Newt, Huckabee, McCain and Romney
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:24:34 pm »
Rush to distressed caller: I could issue a command to Newt and Romney and all to stop it. But not yet, it's too much fun. Break.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »
Rush is taking a tremendous amount of guff from the callers today.

....and deservedly so, IMO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »
Rush is taking a tremendous amount of guff from the callers today.

....and deservedly so, IMO.

Why do you think it is deserved?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:52:28 pm »
Rush stresses that he's "showing restraint" in criticizing Newt. Also calls Romney a moderate who may be Nixon 2.0

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:51 pm »
Because he even had the temerity to suggest that Obama should utilize the "fair use" feature of the copyright laws and have Barack Obama say at the end of Gingrich's and Romney's attacks on each other:

"I'm Barack Obama and I approve of this message".

Rush has too much NEEDED clout to not use it here and ask Newt to return as the gentleman he was during the early debates when he was the ONLY candidate who refused to attack anybody on the stage...suggesting that ANY of the people on the stage could and would do a better job than Obama.

We get that he was the victim of Romney's attack ads in Iowa with him having no $$$ to retaliate.  We understand that he wants to try to keep Romney's momentum in check.

But after today, he'd better cut the crap.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »
Rush: I explained to everybody at the beginning that this was all started by Romney 
with his scorched earth policy in Iowa.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »
Because he even had the temerity to suggest that Obama should utilize the "fair use" feature of the copyright laws and have Barack Obama say at the end of Gingrich's and Romney's attacks on each other:

"I'm Barack Obama and I approve of this message".

Rush has too much NEEDED clout to not use it here and ask Newt to return as the gentleman he was during the early debates when he was the ONLY candidate who refused to attack anybody on the stage...suggesting that ANY of the people on the stage could and would do a better job than Obama.

We get that he was the victim of Romney's attack ads in Iowa with him having no $$$ to retaliate.  We understand that he wants to try to keep Romney's momentum in check.

But after today, he'd better cut the crap.

and you think Obama would not hit Romney on this -- and more?  If Romney cannot handle this now, he certainly won't when he has the full force of the DNC and Obama machine attacking him on this......... and, as Rush said, Romney started all of this; sometimes a person has to be careful what they unleash, it can boomerang.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:00:41 pm by Rapunzel »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »

Look at the current headline on DRUDGEREPORT! 

http://drudgereport.com/

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »
Drudge may be correct at this point.. re Newt.

Romney has played the populist card, dishonestly, again and again. He has no right to complain now himself... and he outright lied in FL about Perry, running ads there using Harry Reids words against Perry, he unleashed his millionaire friends PAC on Gingrich in Iowa... hell he used these dirty tricks in 2008 AFTER McCain won the nomination.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »
Rush thinks this is the same kind of vendetta [Gingrich-Romeny] that Ross Perot had against Bush Sr.

Rush said that it had something to do with Perot asked to fund a search for MIA-POW, but not being allowed to personally make the trip.  That was the only reason Perot got into the race.....to keep Bush from a 2nd term.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:03:09 pm »
LIMBAUGH: NEWT ONLY IN IT TO THWART ROMNEY
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »

Anybody think this isn't a biased picture of Newt, compliments of Matt Drudge?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 09:24:32 pm »
of course it is biased..... Fox had an interview with him this morning where the cameraman must have been sitting on the floor.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:38 pm »
Where was everybody when Bachmann exploited Capitalism by calling Perry a Crony Capitalist?  Where was the GOP outrage when Romney and his PAC attacked Newt for making money working at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?  On one side we’re saying, making money is good, nothing wrong with that. On the other, it’s he made money by being a consultant or a lobbyist or........

If Newt hadn’t opened this can of worms about Bain, no one would.  We need to be having this conversation and not trying to shush everybody up.... because I guarantee you this WILL be an issue in the main event called the General Election.  

Newt has responded back to Rush:
http://gop12.thehill.com/2012/01/gingrich-answers-rush-limbaugh.html

Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Gingrich answers Rush Limbaugh

On Fox & Friends this morning, Newt Gingrich fought back against Rush Limbaugh's criticism of his rhetoric on Bain Capital.

FOX HOST STEVE DOOCY: I was driving around yesterday in my car, and I was listening to Rush Limbaugh, and he was talking about you and how you're going after Mitt Romney and Bain Capital.

And he said that you're using the language of the Left to beat up on Romney over Bain.

He said it makes him uncomfortable because that's what the Left will do if Romney is the nominee.

GINGRICH: Well, I don't think I'm using the language of the Left. I'm using the language of classic American populism.

Main Street has always been suspicious of Wall Street, small businesses have always worried about big businesses.... and I think people have a natural concern when they see financiers come in from out of town, take over a company, take all the profits, and then leave people who are unemployed behind.

Then to reassure nervous conservatives, he says:

"I'm for capitalism. I'm for free enterprise. I'm for entrepreneurs.

There's a big difference who go out to create a company -- even if they fail -- if they try in the right direction, if they share in the hardships, if they're out there with the workers doing it together, that's one thing.

But if somebody who's very wealthy comes in, takes over your company, takes out all the cash and leaves behind the unemployment, I think that's not a model we want to advocate.

And I don't think any conservative wants to get caught defending that kind of model."

+++++++++++++++++++++++

and never underestimate this WH and it's power -- this from January 5th

Mitt Romney avoids U.S tax by using Offshore bank accounts
Jan 5 2012

Also the FBI is investigating Bain Capital About two weeks ago, the FBI evoked FOIA exemption 7(a) and denied access to all Bain Capital records on the grounds that “there is a pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding relevant to these responsive records; and that release of the information contained in these responsive records could reasonably be expected to interfere with the enforcement proceedings.”

FBI Response to FOIA Re: Bain Capital-
(More….)
==========

Mitt Romney avoids U.S tax by using Offshore bank accounts