Author Topic: Smear Machine Shifts to Newt  (Read 1914 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Smear Machine Shifts to Newt
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »
Smear Machine Shifts to Newt
November 16, 2011

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: You know how you can tell that Newt Gingrich is at the top of the slate?  You don't need polling data; you just need to look at the media coverage.  You just need to look at the media coverage.  You move on to the Republican primaries, Newt is rising so fast in the polls that the media is trying to tie him to Freddie Mac.  They love Freddie Mac.  They've bailed out Freddie Mac.  They've done everything they can to keep Freddie Mac going.  Executives at Freddie Mac are gonna be paid a hundred million dollars in bonuses while Freddie Mac needs another $6 billion bailout.  That's where the Occupy Wall Street crowd should have been all along, but they don't care about that.  When government's spending the money they're all for it.

So Newt is now under assault because he has ties to Freddie Mac.  The darlings of the media, the darlings of the Democrat Party, the darlings of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.  In fact, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were both left out of the financial regulatory reform bill.  There were no reforms instituted against Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.  All of these financial regulatory reforms aimed at the financial business, guess what, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac exempted.  So Newt consulted for them.  And all of a sudden now Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac may as well be guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors.  Profound inconsistency here.

Now, for the record Newt has already responded to the accusations about his role in Freddie Mac a number of times.  I think he's even mentioned it during the debates.  He said that he was hired as a consultant, but that's a crime now.  If you look at the headlines, you look at the news stories, Newt being a consultant to Fannie Mae is a crime, even though they love Fannie Mae.  Even though they want Fannie Mae to sustain it, they want Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac to stay alive and kicking, Newt consults 'em and all of a sudden Newt's filthy, Newt's dirty, Newt's tainted.  And of course what they're really going after is the fact that Newt's a hypocrite because the Republicans think that Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac are problems, put there's Newt taking money from 'em.

Newt says that he told 'em that the housing market was a bubble that was about to burst. He told them that they were making a mistake handing out loans to people who couldn't afford them.  Newt says he told them what they were doing wrong and what they needed to fix it and he did get his consultancy fee for it.  If all that's true it's a shame they didn't listen to him.  Doesn't matter what they paid him; it was good advice.  Certainly better advice than what they've gotten from their own wildly overpaid executives.  Certainly better advice than they've gotten from Obama.

And then there's this new book. This is from the Huffing and Puffington Post, or PuffingtonHo.com, whatever it is. "New Book Says Newt Gingrich Bought off His Wife to Stay in the Race -- A new e-book on the 2012 election released Friday says that Newt Gingrich went on an ill-timed cruise to Greece this year and spent over a million dollars in jewelry at Tiffany's to buy off his reluctant wife Callista so that she wouldn't object to his running for president." Now, the book doesn't cite named sources, but why should it? The Politico doesn't, either. Anonymous sources, anonymous facts, anonymous details now make up the bulk of reporting in the State-Controlled Media. Now a new one -- an e-book! For those of you in Rio Linda, an e-book is a book that you would read on a Kindle.

That may not help. Uh, it is a book that you would read on an iPad. It is a book that you would read on an iPod Touch. Forget it. I'm talking about reading! What am I doing here? Reading in Rio Linda? I'm sorry, folks, it's a... Anyway, "The book does not cite named sources, and the Gingrich campaign immediately dismissed the sniping from former campaign officials. Several of Gingrich's former top campaign advisers now work for rival candidate Rick Perry. The book, from Real Clear Politics' Tom Bevan and Carl Cannon, raises the question of whether Gingrich's former aides were talking to Perry before they left in June. The Perry aides deny the accusation."

Apparently Perry was trying to siphon Newt's staffers before Newt went on the cruise. The name of the e-book: "'Election 2012: The Battle Begins,' does not offer evidence that current Perry advisers Dave Carney and Rob Johnson left Gingrich because Perry had begun to express interest in running for president himself. But the question lingers." No evidence! No, of course not. There is no evidence. The book doesn't offer any evidence, "but the question lingers." "The vitriol expressed for Callista Gingrich in the e-book is intense. The sentiments have been aired before. What is new is the lengths to which Gingrich's former aides ... go to trash Callista Gingrich. 'She's the single worst influence on a candidate I've ever seen,' one 'campaign strategist' told Bevan and Cannon.

"This same source said that Gingrich bought 'a necklace reportedly worth six figures ... to 'buy Callista off' so she'd acquiesce to a presidential run.' Gingrich's ex-aides said that the former House Speaker from Georgia ignored their advice not to go on a luxury cruise to the Greek islands in late May because he feared damage to, or even the loss of, his marriage to [Callista]. 'In Newt's mind, it was the cruise or his marriage. And he didn't want to get married a fourth time,' said a source identified by Cannon and Bevan as 'a person with knowledge of the discussions.'" So you can tell now that Newt's at the top. It just no evidence. The questions linger. (interruption) The Fanny and Freddy stuff? He has answered for the Fannie and Freddie stuff.

(interruption) He's gotta do better than saying he can...? (interruption) All right. (interruption) Okay, okay, okay, okay. (interruption) Look, I'm not here to defend Gingrich. Do not misunderstand anything. I am your humble reporting digesting all the filth and trash that's out there about all of our candidates. I'm sifting through it and I am then retransmitting it to you. "Next week, another similar project will get off the ground, when the first of four 2012 e-books by Politico's Mike Allen and former Newsweek editor-at-large Evan Thomas will go on sale. Allen and Thomas' book is being edited by former Newsweek editor-in-chief Jon Meacham and is also being published by Random House."

Meanwhile, Newsweek is about 12 pages every issue, and these guys are no longer there. At any rate, okay, so Newt gets a million dollars from Fannie Mae -- to consult -- and he says he told 'em what they were do wrong and they didn't listen to him. (interruption) Well, yeah, that's a good point. I told you all for free. I did. I have been telling Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac everything in the world to do right, nobody's paid me. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac haven't paid me. By the way, a million dollars over eight years was Newt's deal, by the way. (interruption) Boy, you are really sniping. You are really sniping. (interruption) Newt's deal with Freddie Mac was for a million dollars over eight years. Okay, I just warning, for those of you on the phones today, Snerdley's loaded for bear. My guess is if you want to call and talk about Newt, I'll never see you today.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This e-book that I quoted, "Election 2012: The Battle Begins," by Perry advisors Dave Carney and Rob Johnson, it really is... I haven't read it all, obviously, but from what I've read it really seems to be a huge hit piece on his wife, on Newt's wife Callista. I always thought that one of the most sacred tenets of modern journalism is you're supposed to leave the wives out of it. Really, and Callista not doing anything. She not inserting herself in any way, she not out there talking about policy, she not talking about arugula and steak and telling lies about food desserts and this kind of stuff. You know, she shows up and smiles, and that's about it, and yet this hit piece, this book is obviously aimed at her; and it's clear, too, ladies and gentlemen, that the target of this smear actually (in terms of voters) is the Tea Party.

That's meaning is they're trying to influence the Tea Party with negative vibes about Newt, and they've got some ammo. If we want to we can go back and get all the stories where Newt has done things which are not conservative. The couch deal with Pelosi, saying, "The era of Reagan is over." Newt was one of the early Republicans to say that, and he eventually retracted it. So that's the reason, but the larger point is: You don't need a poll to tell you who's hot on the Republican primary side. Whoever is hot is hit. It's a full-fledged take-'em-out media approach, and the only guy who is immune to this is Mitt Romney. Mitt is not hit. They're saving that up for later. It was Herman Cain, it was Sarah Palin before Herman Cain, and it was Michele Bachmann when she won the Iowa straw poll. They think they've taken Herman Cain out. They're still hitting Herman Cain, and now they've moved on to Newt -- and if somebody comes along and replaces Newt at the top in the polling data you won't need the polling data to know. You'll just have to see who it is the media's decided to take out among our side next.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Say, folks, a quick question: Do we ever get stories on gifts Ted Kennedy bought for his wife over the years? We didn't. Did we ever get stories about what Bill Clinton bought for his wife over the years? Well, in one way, yeah. You could say that it cost Clinton a lot. In fact, Newt's getting off cheap. Hillary got health care. Callista got something from Tiffany. It just depends on your perspective in these things. But my point is, Kobe Bryant, he went out, he had to buy a big, giant ring. You think Newt's the only husband in politics that has ever had to go out and do something like this? And, by the way, what is wrong with buying your wife something from Tiffany? What is wrong with that? Why is that a problem?

The only difference is Newt bought it with his own money. Democrats never do it with their own money; they always use ours. But why is there a guilt trip here to be associated with going out and buying your wife something at Tiffany & Company? Or taking her on a cruise? What is the crime there? (interruption) Well, I know, the "timing" of the cruise because it was middle of a presidential campaign and so forth, but I just think all of these double standards that exist, these efforts here to criminalize things when in fact what everybody ought to be looking at is -- in all candor -- this Occupy stuff. We're witnessing a nation in great decline. The Sandusky stuff at Penn State, too.

Everywhere you look, folks, you see things that make you queasy, angry, filled with apprehension, angst, unease, whatever. This Occupy stuff, that's directly traceable to the White House. The White House and Obama personally, personally, not just orchestrated these things, he created the mind-set: All of this class envy, running around, creating all this hatred in people's minds for the achievers in our society, the successful in our society. I think all of this -- the shootings, the drugs, the squalor, the filth, everything -- associated with Occupy Wall Street you can trace it right back to the White House. They got what they wanted. Barack Obama was the inspiration for the Occupy movement.

END TRANSCRIPT

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Smear Machine Shifts to Newt
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:41:17 pm »
Newt has spent his entire campaign going after the media.  There is an old saying about arguing with people who purchase ink by the barrel.  They left Newt alone while he was in the single digits.  Newt is about to experience the full court press now as the press gets back at him.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:49 pm »
Newt will be able to withstand the onslaught....because he's been defending himself since 1994.

He is going to come out stronger because of it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:08:14 am »
Newt will be able to withstand the onslaught....because he's been defending himself since 1994.

Not so sure.  His feeding at the FM and FM trough is a real turn off for me....... it is Denny Haster/Nancy Pelosi-like.......... and what is wrong with DC.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 12:19:10 am »
The media smeared Newt decades ago and Newt is not playing their stupid games, which is one of the reasons he is so popular at the moment.

Let's see how long he can hold onto the lead...

Time for some others to fold camp, drop out of the race and endorse someone...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:50 am »
The media smeared Newt decades ago and Newt is not playing their stupid games, which is one of the reasons he is so popular at the moment.

Palin said that "the cream hasn't yet risen......"  among the declared candidates.

Perhaps she was thinking of Newt?   Would like to think so.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:29:00 am »

I thought Bachmann and Santorum were staying in for ROmney to pay off their debt, now I think it is the same ego that let them think they had a snowballs chance in the first place.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:34:31 am »
I thought Bachmann and Santorum were staying in for ROmney to pay off their debt, now I think it is the same ego that let them think they had a snowballs chance in the first place.

Why should anybody get out before the first primary? 

In essence they are all enhancing their brand.....that's all it is.   But what better way to get gigs as consultants and pundits on camera than being a former candidate for your party's nomination?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:39 am »
Why should anybody get out before the first primary? 

In essence they are all enhancing their brand.....that's all it is.   But what better way to get gigs as consultants and pundits on camera than being a former candidate for your party's nomination?

Santorum will run back to Fox.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 01:19:44 am »

"Ego" is exactly the correct word.....

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

Newt didn't defend himself for years.  He joined the media club for years.  I do like him, though, but he pulled a media paycheck for quite some time after having his congressional career destroyed by the media.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 01:36:49 am »
Question....what if any impact will Newt's three marriages have if he is the candidate?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:15 am »
Question....what if any impact will Newt's three marriages have if he is the candidate?

I think it will be a problem, especially because his wife is so icky and there is that huge Tiffany's bill.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:19 am »

I think you meant nominee? 

As the Republican nominee, no discernible impact at all.  People are pretty used to divorce now.  If we were to exclude the divorced from the list of acceptable applicants, we could possibly miss a good candidate - perhaps the one with the necessary skills and abilities to move us to a more perfect (constitutional) union.

Now, as for the probability the three marriages factor into the nominating process?  Very high.  Republicans are slow to accept the growing divorce rate as part of everyday, normal life.