Author Topic: Rick Perry's Tax Plan is Great  (Read 1208 times)

Offline DCPatriot

Rick Perry's Tax Plan is Great
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Rick Perry's Tax Plan is Great
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »
Conservatives looking for a champion to carry the banner of a pro-growth tax reform will surely rally behind this bold proposal."

Thumbs up from Rush, too!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
It's been a very good day for Perry all-around.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he does on BOR tonight.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
Good words from Rush, but lets give this plan a little soak time, and see how it really pencils out.

Not casting doubts here at all, just being prudent....

Online aligncare

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »

Good policy, Chieftan.  Politics is tricky business.  If you get out ahead of events (like I have many times) you could find yourself stranded.

By the way, Perry talking to O'Reilly right now.  He's handling himself very well, I must say.

NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:48:41 AM »
I missed it, had company and out to dinner...... darn.........  so he stood up to BOR and lived to see another day?

Online aligncare

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:13:42 AM »
Actually, yes.  But, you know O'Reilly, his questions sometimes sound more like they're about him than the person he's interviewing.

They discussed Perry's tax plan and O'Reilly asked how much revenue the feds would lose under his optional, lower tax rate and Perry said he wasn't worried about that, he was most concerned about people keeping more of their money to boost the economy and create jobs.  Standard conservative Republican philosophy.

Perry was not without problems though, and Bill asked about Perry's polls being in single digits behind even Gingrich.  Perry did his best to say races go up and they go down, but now with the introduction of his tax plan he expects his numbers to improve.

O'Reilly went over the in-state tuition issue, which he said hurt Perry with conservatives, and Perry simply said he used the wrong word there, talking about the 'heartless' comment.  Perry then went on to give his reasons for signing the bill, and you're familiar with those.

After the interview Bill spoke with Krauthammer who called Perry's tax plan, Reaganesque.  But, of course he then went on to criticize some aspects of it.  But, like I said, Perry handled the interview fairly well.

One problem I have with Perry's tax plan is that's it's optional, which means the IRS, with it's 3-million-word tax code, still lives - and I won't be happy until there's a stake in the heart of that beast.  Plus, since it's optional there's more work involved in calculating which option to use, increasing compliance costs.  While the plan is good, the search for tax reform, in my opinion, continues.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
Actually, yes.  But, you know O'Reilly, his questions sometimes sound more like they're about him than the person he's interviewing.

They discussed Perry's tax plan and O'Reilly asked how much revenue the feds would lose under his optional, lower tax rate and Perry said he wasn't worried about that, he was most concerned about people keeping more of their money to boost the economy and create jobs.  Standard conservative Republican philosophy.

Perry was not without problems though, and Bill asked about Perry's polls being in single digits behind even Gingrich.  Perry did his best to say races go up and they go down, but now with the introduction of his tax plan he expects his numbers to improve.

O'Reilly went over the in-state tuition issue, which he said hurt Perry with conservatives, and Perry simply said he used the wrong word there, talking about the 'heartless' comment.  Perry then went on to give his reasons for signing the bill, and you're familiar with those.

After the interview Bill spoke with Krauthammer who called Perry's tax plan, Reaganesque.  But, of course he then went on to criticize some aspects of it.  But, like I said, Perry handled the interview fairly well.

One problem I have with Perry's tax plan is that's it's optional, which means the IRS, with it's 3-million-word tax code, still lives - and I won't be happy until there's a stake in the heart of that beast.  Plus, since it's optional there's more work involved in calculating which option to use, increasing compliance costs.  While the plan is good, the search for tax reform, in my opinion, continues.

Hall-Rabushka.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
Rush was not the only one who praised Perry's tax plan yesterday...and today.

IMO, it's a concerted effort to resurrect Perry's campaign.

In any event, it sure sounds and looks a lot better than a national sales tax added as another revenue stream.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online aligncare

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:21 AM »

Agreed.  But, I wish there were some way to capture money from the underground economy, which a sales tax, rather than an income tax, would do.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
Agreed.  But, I wish there were some way to capture money from the underground economy, which a sales tax, rather than an income tax, would do.

Could you give me an example of sales tax being collected and paid in an "underground economy"?

Can't think of any.....

Flea markets?  Yard sales?  Drug purchases?

Seems that if you had to pay a tax on every dollar you deposit into your bank account.....that may help solve 'your' dilemma.

Offline Badeye

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »
All of this stuff about changing the tax code is just talk.
Romney doesn't know how to fail.

Online aligncare

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »

I don't want to change the tax code.  I want it blown up, shredded, buried in the ash heap of history.

Imagine, in an advanced society like ours, business owners are required to keep sales receipts for paper clips, office pens, toilet paper, cleaning supplies?   There are something like 22 countries where you pay a simple flat tax.  No accountants, no auditors, no keeping receipts.  Calgon, take me away!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
I think even the fatal flaw with the Fair Tax is people will find a way to go underground with purchases so they don't have to pay it... there is always a catch somewhere. BOR wants a national sales tax, I am against it because 1) camels nose under the tent is how we got to this mess we are in and 2) we see how a VAT has hurt Europeans.......  I agree with Perry, slash the heck out of the taxes and the spending, get the feds out of anything not constitutionally mandated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf