Author Topic: Fresh Tomato Soup  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Fresh Tomato Soup
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:34:51 am »
The last of my pear tomatoes have ripened on the windowsill, so today it was time to make some soup.  I had just enough tomatoes for a medium saucepan full, and it is great for dinner tonight.  Adjust this recipe as needed, the amount of tomatoes is what drives the rest of the recipe.  Any tomato will do, but I used the nice meaty Romas I grew this year....

Olio Oliva, a splash
1 medium onion, diced
Red wine, your choice
Vegetable Stock (available in quarts)
pear tomatoes, skinned and seeded

Fresh Basil
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Oregano

Half and Half
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sugar to taste

I start by sweating my diced onion in olive oil over medium heat, while I skin and seed the tomatoes.  All of the tomato guts get fed to the chickens, and they love it on days I process tomatoes...

Once the onion is softened, add in a cup of a good full red wine (I used the last of some Cab-Sav today, but Merlot, Shiraz, or whatever you have on hand will do just fine) and allow to come to a simmer.  Add the tomatoes all at once along with enough stock to cover, and bring it all up to a simmer.  Let it cook for 15 minutes or so until the tomatoes are tender.

Take a hand-held mixer, (I call mine a boat motor...) and puree the mixture in the pot over medium heat until it is completely smooth.  Bring back up to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and partially cover it.  Let the soup reduce and thicken, stir it periodically.

Wash and finely chop all of your herbs, and use as much or as little as you prefer.  Add them all at once along with a pinch of sugar (to cut the acidity), stir them in and let them cook for a few minutes, covered.

Turn the heat off, and add a sufficient shot of Half and Half to smooth out the soup, then taste, and season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Any kind of sandwich and a mug of hot tomato soup will go just fine with the Missus and Monday Night Football tonight...

Cheers!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Fresh Tomato Soup
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44:00 am »
bookmarking..this sounds simple and yummy...love tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:15:09 am »
I love tomato soup!!

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:15:42 am »
bookmarking..this sounds simple and yummy...love tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches..

Ever had grilled cheese sandwiches with diced onions inside?  One of my absolute favorites.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:26:40 am »
ummm the soup sounds wonderful, tomato soup is my favorite...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:53 pm »
I had a pretty good tomato crop this year, too, but as we're not big soup eaters I pureed the seeded tomatoes for use in pasta sauces and  chili. Made a big batch of chili yesterday with home-grown tomatoes and peppers. Just in time, too, as the weather's getting a bit nippy around here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org