Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh: Romney Is Not A Conservative  (Read 4142 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Rush Limbaugh: Romney Is Not A Conservative
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:49 am »
audio at link:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/10/12/rush_limbaugh_romney_is_not_a_conservative.html

The reason is simple: Romney is not a conservative. He's not, folks. You can argue with me all day long on that, but he isn't. What he has going for him is that he's not Obama and that he is doing incredibly well in the debates because he's done it a long time. He's very seasoned. He never makes a mistake, and he's going to keep winning these things if he never makes a mistake. It's that simple. But I'm not personally ready to settle on anybody yet -- and I know that neither are most of you, and I also know that most of you do not want this over now, before we've even had a single primary! All we've had are straw votes. You know that the Republican establishment's trying to nail this down and end it. You know that that's happening, and I know that you don't want that to happen, and neither do I.

Now, as for Romney -- and you should know, by the way, that I've met Romney. I've not played golf with him but I've met him, and I like all of these people. This isn't personal, not with what country faces and so forth. I like him very much. I've spent some social time with him. He's a fine guy. He's very nice gentleman. He is a gentleman. But he's not a conservative -- and if you disagree, I'm open. The telephone lines are yours. Call and tell me what you think it is that makes him a principled conservative, what exactly is it. Is there something that he has said that shows conservative, principled leadership? What did he say? I'm open to it. Now, we're told that governors are better than legislators when looking for presidents for a host of reasons.

Legislators are filled with ego, they sit around and by "yes" men, they're not executives, and they're one of many, and the buck never really stops with them. Governors, it's just the exact opposite. But when we look at the record, and we bring up Romneycare, we're told, "Well, that's been he was a governor, but as president he wouldn't do any such thing." What? What do you mean he wouldn't do any such thing? He did it is the point. He has positions as governor that make it obvious he believes in the concept of manmade global warming. "Yeah, but that was as governor, Rush. It's a liberal state. He had to do things to get elected." Um, there's gonna be a lot of liberal pressure on whoever our president is: Media, Democrat members of Congress that the media's gonna fawn all over.

Every night you'll have Harry Reid and Pelosi on camera commenting on what the new conservative president's doing. There's gonna be all kinds of liberal pressure on whoever our next president is who's a Republican conservative. The Romneycare health care bill has individual mandates, and they're wrong. Individual mandates are wrong whether they're imposed by a governor or a president. Governor McDonnell of Virginia has not done what Romney did in Massachusetts, and neither have most other Republican governors. Governor McDonnell of Virginia is running a very small deficits, but surplus, in fact, I think. His unemployment rate in Virginia is way down. Nobody talks about him for the presidency, because he himself has not put himself out there for it.

But most Republican governors are not having to fall back on the federalism argument to justify what they did. "Well, it's states' rights. You know, we're laboratories. We can do whatever we want to do. I wouldn't do it, of course, at the federal level! I wouldn't do it. But, of course, the governors we gotta experiment with things," and the reason that they're not falling back on federalism is because, as governors, they didn't make terrible policy decisions that they now have to justify. So if we are going to look at a governor's record, what exactly do we find? There's manmade global warming, and Romney has indicated that he believes in it and he has supported laws in Massachusetts built on it. The EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency, in the federal government is out of control.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Rush Limbaugh: Romney Is Not A Conservative
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:39 am »
Good post, massadjv.

BTW, tonight Bill O'Reilly actually said Romney is in a stronger position with conservatives now that CONSERVATIVE Governor Christie endorsed him  :thud:......... not certain what island BOR lives on, but Christie is far from a Conservative....... as is Romney.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:28 am »
Good post, massadjv.

BTW, tonight Bill O'Reilly actually said Romney is in a stronger position with conservatives now that CONSERVATIVE Governor Christie endorsed him  :thud:......... not certain what island BOR lives on, but Christie is far from a Conservative....... as is Romney.

BOR is also far from conservative.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:38:03 am »
Mark Levin, who I absolutely worship as a brilliant constitutional scholar, is not keen on Romney.  

I understand.  I disagree with him, but I understand.  Then, when someone called in and wanted him to endorse a real conservative (the caller was obviously hinting that Perry was the real conservative in the field), Levin declined, saying to the caller that he's not on the Perry bandwagon either.

No, Levin said he didn't think Perry could successfully debate Obama, in addition to Perry having less than conservative positions on illegal immigration.  Go figure.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:38:16 am »
BOR is also far from conservative.

I know, but it really proved how out of touch BOR is to mainstream America with that statement, because he truly meant what he said.....  and there-in lies the reason I can barely watch anyone but Greta at night... Hannity had on Bachmann (I switched to Home and Garden) and then Nicolle Wallace (ex-Romney went to McCain and trashed Palin Wallace) to praise Romney.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:40:51 am »
Mark Levin, who I absolutely worship as a brilliant constitutional scholar, is not keen on Romney.  

I understand.  I disagree with him, but I understand.  Then, when someone called in and wanted him to endorse a real conservative (the caller was obviously hinting that Perry was the real conservative in the field), Levin declined, saying to the caller that he's not on the Perry bandwagon either.

No, Levin said he didn't think Perry could successfully debate Obama, in addition to Perry having less than conservative positions on illegal immigration.  Go figure.

Not one of the candidates passes the Levin/Malkin/FR test on immigration... there is probably not a governor of a southern or SW state who would.. just a fact of living this close to Mexico, we all learn to co-exist, only CA wants to turn the keys over to them... other than immigration, Levin was very impressed when he had Perry on his program... and it is all well and good for Cain to say anything about it since we actually don't have any record one way or the other to base his comments on immigration...... and Romney was much more liberal than Perry on the issue.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:24 am »
Not one of the candidates passes the Levin/Malkin/FR test on immigration... there is probably not a governor of a southern or SW state who would.. just a fact of living this close to Mexico, we all learn to co-exist, only CA wants to turn the keys over to them... other than immigration, Levin was very impressed when he had Perry on his program... and it is all well and good for Cain to say anything about it since we actually don't have any record one way or the other to base his comments on immigration...... and Romney was much more liberal than Perry on the issue.

Levin emphasized Perry's poor debating skills, not his position on immigration, though he mentioned that as an after thought.  It was the lack of debating prowess that Mark was concerned about.  I report you decide.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 03:30:25 am »
Levin emphasized Perry's poor debating skills, not his position on immigration, though he mentioned that as an after thought.  It was the lack of debating prowess that Mark was concerned about.  I report you decide.

I was referring to a month or so ago when Perry went on Mark's radio program for an interview, it is probably still up on the site, he said at the time his issue with what Perry had to say was immigration, but Perry knew that going into the interview... other than that Mark came away pleased... it was before the first Perry debate......

I'm sorry, but if we have sunk to only electing the smoothest debater this country is determined to flush down the rabbit hole.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:35 am »

Sad, but true; we are becoming an American Idol political circus.  It's all about the bling and the glib and the wow.  Harry Truman would be kicked to the curb today.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:05:06 am »
I know, but it really proved how out of touch BOR is to mainstream America with that statement, because he truly meant what he said.....  and there-in lies the reason I can barely watch anyone but Greta at night... Hannity had on Bachmann (I switched to Home and Garden) and then Nicolle Wallace (ex-Romney went to McCain and trashed Palin Wallace) to praise Romney.

FNC seems to be all Romney all the time lately.  It reminds me of MSNBC being in the tank for Obama in 2008.  I wonder what is behind it.  Have Rupert and Mitt made a deal of some sort?  The network is almost becoming unwatchable.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:07:29 am by massadvj »

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:05:13 am »
Romney is a statist by default, an instrumentalist without an overarching philosophical framework, who sees his only function as being the most efficient manager possible, which entails running government like - and in competition with - private enterprise; in particular, absent a philosophical framework to guide policy choices, he is largely content with enforcing the pre-existing laws as written, without any real basis for questioning the wisdom of those laws or attempting to redirect the philosophical direction of the government he is in charge of.

He's also a bit of a dissembler.  Fees and charges are just as much taxes as "taxes" eo nomine, and it is a charade for Romney to maintain that he held the line on tax increases in Massachusetts when he instead boosted all manner of fees and charges.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:06:56 am »
I was referring to a month or so ago when Perry went on Mark's radio program for an interview, it is probably still up on the site, he said at the time his issue with what Perry had to say was immigration, but Perry knew that going into the interview... other than that Mark came away pleased... it was before the first Perry debate......

I'm sorry, but if we have sunk to only electing the smoothest debater this country is determined to flush down the rabbit hole.

Well, if all we really want is the smoothest debater, then the only game in town is Obama - I have no doubt that Obama will run rings around Romney, if for no other reason than that Romney is thoroughly compromised as an opponent to Obama because so much of what Obama has done merely builds on the groundwork Romney laid as governor of Massachusetts.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:19 am »
FNC seems to be all Romney all the time lately.  It reminds me of MSNBC being in the tank for Obama in 2008.  I wonder what is behind it.  Have Rupert and Mitt made a deal of some sort?  The network is almost becoming unwatchable.

Yep, thank heavens for my DVR and a full TV season...  and with the time change Hannity will be opposite things like Survivor ~LOL~ so he won't even be tempting... just means I have to stay up later to watch the re-run of The Five when I miss it in the afternoon....... and I'll miss Red Eye as it's just too late at night in the winter, but I can tune out nighttime FOX just fine..... my CA friends here last week (very conservative) said they'd rather watch CNN than BOR anymore.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:26 am »
I feel like the GOP has entered an alternate universe... people who say they are conservative supporting Romney and all the Palinistas on FR are now on the Cain 999 bandwagon, hook line and sinker.......   :shrug: :thud:

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 08:39:25 am »
I feel as tho I have entered an alternate universe.  When I hear Romney speak I hear halting, nearly stuttering comments.  Not even always coherent.

Just because he's been deemed a smooth debater doesn't make it so.  It's kind of like everyone saying how Obama is soooo smart.

It's clear that Bret Baier was determined to bring down Perry in the first minute of the Fox debate.  Fox has always been in Romney's corrner.   So much so that I no longer even listen to Baier's program.  Their idea that controversy makes for a good debate is a disgusting premise.

The free world depends on America getting it right, not getting someone chosen  by our so called elite msm.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 10:25:51 am »

You know, I searched all over the house last night for my Team Conservative membership card but I just couldn't find it.  I did find my signed loyalty oath, Sick Of Spending bumper sticker and secret handshake instruction manual though.   sm

Offline Badeye

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:35:31 am »
Limbaugh also noted if Romney was the eventually nominee he would support him 100%.

The problem isn't with anyone's 'conservative credentials'. The problem is the string of 'Alternatives to Romney' have demonstrated they simply aren't ready for prime time....or they don't want to run for POTUS.

btw, Romney has 60% plus among Independents head to head with Owe-bama.
Trump is going to win AGAIN

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 10:52:02 am »
Limbaugh also noted if Romney was the eventually nominee he would support him 100%.....

Romney has 60% plus among Independents head to head with Owe-bama.

Obama was elected by independents and he will be fired by independents who will vote for the non-conservative Romney - in droves.  At this point there's no evidence any other candidate can get both the Limbaugh vote and the independent vote. 

On the other hand, Obama has a lock on the Occupy Wall Street vote - if they can find the polling station and are allowed to hold sharp pencils.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:08 am »
BTW, Mitt Romney invented Obamacare and Mitt Romney supported substantial tax increases in Massachusetts, and lied about it because fees and charges when imposed by the government are still taxes, regardless of how clever Mitt Romney thought he was being by calling them something else.

Those who support Mitt Romney are either liberals, or else really have no idea who he is - which is precisely the same sort of attitude that got us Obama in 2008.

Offline Badeye

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 11:21:04 am »
Everybody on the planet that cares about American politics knows these things you post over and over and over again. At some point, you need to understand its not having any effect. Five plus years its been discussed.

Next up, this ridiculous assault on who's a conservative. Its absurd. What next, a DNA test?

We've looked for 3 years for a Conservative alternative to Romney. ALL OF US.

There isn't one. Thats just the simple truth. Romney is going to be the nominee. Odds are either Cain or Santorum will end up the VP on the ticket.

If thats unacceptable to you, fine. Your choice. But castigating anyone that sees this in a different light, and throwing out insults is counter productive...and quite honestly, childish.
Trump is going to win AGAIN

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 11:22:53 am »

Ocean.  Just a reminder:

"Perry’s second blemish on tax policy was his first budget as Governor. In 2003, facing a $10 billion budget gap, Governor Perry’s budget cut spending and  didn’t raise taxes. It did, however, raise millions of dollars in “revenue adjustments, surcharges, and fees,” including new fees on nurses, crematoriums, home builders, and alcohol licenses for a grand total of at least $2.68 billion in new revenues over two years.  It is true that increased fees are not the same as broad-based tax increases, but they are anti-growth and serve the same purpose of funding government."

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/whitepapers/?subsec=137&id=953

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:33:52 am »
Everybody on the planet that cares about American politics knows these things you post over and over and over again. At some point, you need to understand its not having any effect. Five plus years its been discussed.

Next up, this ridiculous assault on who's a conservative. Its absurd. What next, a DNA test?

We've looked for 3 years for a Conservative alternative to Romney. ALL OF US.

There isn't one. Thats just the simple truth. Romney is going to be the nominee. Odds are either Cain or Santorum will end up the VP on the ticket.

If thats unacceptable to you, fine. Your choice. But castigating anyone that sees this in a different light, and throwing out insults is counter productive...and quite honestly, childish.

The only person throwing any insults here is you.  It is neither counter-productive nor childish to point out the facts to people, no matter how much you wish the facts were otherwise.

Fact 1:  Mitt Romney is the person who introduced the individual mandate in Massachusetts and who thereby permitted the democrats to put into place Romneycare - that's not my casting aspersions, those are the facts, go read the source in my signature line.

Fact 2:  Mitt Romney raised taxes on people in Massachusetts; that he called them fees instead of taxes simply reflects badly on him.  Those are the facts, start by reading the source in my signature line.

Fact 3:  If you vote for Mitt Romney then you are voting for Obamacare.  You can rationalize that all you want to, you can bandy about his "business experience," you can shout from the stands that he must have changed his views because now he's saying all the correct things - he's going to give everyone and their grannies waivers from Obamacare - but that belief is based on nothing more than Mitt's own say-so.  Now, you can Hope that he's going to Change, but that didn't get us very far in 2008, and it won't get us far in 2012.  Why is it childish to point out the facts, but not childish to fall for "Hope" and "Change" once again?

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 11:38:32 am »
Ocean.  Just a reminder:

"Perry’s second blemish on tax policy was his first budget as Governor. In 2003, facing a $10 billion budget gap, Governor Perry’s budget cut spending and  didn’t raise taxes. It did, however, raise millions of dollars in “revenue adjustments, surcharges, and fees,” including new fees on nurses, crematoriums, home builders, and alcohol licenses for a grand total of at least $2.68 billion in new revenues over two years.  It is true that increased fees are not the same as broad-based tax increases, but they are anti-growth and serve the same purpose of funding government."

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/whitepapers/?subsec=137&id=953

No one is without blemishes.  Do you like Obamacare, do you think it's the cat's meow?  Well, if you're going to vote for Romney, then you must like Obamacare because Mitt Romney invented Obamacare and, as he demonstrated just the other night, he still thinks it was a grand idea.

You think I'm being childish?  Then go read up on the matter - I have - and then think about it, very carefully.  Mitt Romney wasn't dragged unwillingly into Romneycare just because Massachusetts was a liberal state; Mitt Romney invented and pushed into the legislation the individual mandate - go read up on it, it's all there in black and white - and therefore unless and until he repudiates his own frankenstein-child in Massachusetts, neither you nor anyone else can seriously maintain that he will repudiate Obamacare.  Waivers are smoke and mirrors, the sort of bullshit that democrats get up to when they don't want you to see what they're really doing.

If you really think that Romney is the bees' knees, then you are committed to upholding Obamacare, regardless of what you say.

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:41:02 am »
Do you like Obamacare, do you think it's the cat's meow?  Well, if you're going to vote for Romney, then you must like Obamacare because Mitt Romney invented Obamacare and, as he demonstrated just the other night, he still thinks it was a grand idea.

You think I'm being childish?  Then go read up on the matter - I have - and then think about it, very carefully.  Mitt Romney wasn't dragged unwillingly into Romneycare just because Massachusetts was a liberal state; Mitt Romney invented and pushed into the legislation the individual mandate - go read up on it, it's all there in black and white - and therefore unless and until he repudiates his own frankenstein-child in Massachusetts, neither you nor anyone else can seriously maintain that he will repudiate Obamacare.  Waivers are smoke and mirrors, the sort of bullshit that democrats get up to when they don't want you to see what they're really doing.

If you really think that Romney is the bees' knees, then you are committed to upholding Obamacare, regardless of what you say.

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:44:04 am »
I find it to be truly fascinating that so many people who got so angry at the MSM for not vetting Obama, who got so mad at American voters for voting for Obama without understanding his background, are so willing to vote for Mitt Romney without understanding his background.

Funny, voters were so hot to trot to vote for the first Black President that they simply ignored the facts in their rush to be in on it; now, everyone is so hot to trot to just get Obama himself out of the White House that they'll vote for anyone, will simply ignore the facts, in their rush to vote for the person whom they've been conditioned to believe is the only one who can defeat Obama.

Funny that, it all comes down to baseless, empty Hope for Change.