Author Topic: Who Knew? Me! Study Says DNA, Not Lifestyle, is Key to Longevity  (Read 1337 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Who Knew? Me! Study Says DNA, Not Lifestyle, is Key to Longevity
August 4, 2011

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This is something I've been right about ever since I've been hosting this program, and those who have been listening for a long time will remember. I have made it plain that all this exercise and all this health stuff that people do to prolong their lives may make you feel better, but it's not gonna have any major impact.  It's your DNA, it's genetics that determine what's gonna happen to you, and you don't have any control over that. 

Well, here we go.  Headline:  "DNA, Not Lifestyle, is Key to Longevity."  Who knew?  I did.  "Israeli researcher at Yeshiva University: These people do not need to maintain the healthy lifestyle the rest of us should observe.  Healthy centenarians lucky enough to have inherited 'longevity genes' can thank their genetic makeup for their long lives. Unlike everybody else, they didn’t have to watch their diet, exercise daily or avoid alcohol to reach that age. They didn’t even have to stop smoking -- although tobacco use would certainly harm their descendants. This was the discovery of a team at Yeshiva University’s Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York."

We had the initial report yesterday, all the good things that nicotine does.  Nicotine, one of the most besmirched, impugned substances out there, because it's found in tobacco.  But it wards off Alzheimer's.  It wards off depression.  It wards off Parkinson's disease.  And now the same bunch is out saying, "You know what, it's your DNA.  Go ahead and hit the gym all you want, and go ahead and eat that watercress vinaigrette salad dressing. Go ahead and eight your berries and roots and all this stuff that's supposed to prolong your life, but if it isn't in your genes, you don't have a chance.  That's it."  I, El Rushbo, have instinctively known this. 

I just went in for a checkup the other day, folks.  I did all kinds of blood work.  I have to do this fairly frequently since I'm the key man here at EIB.  I'm it.  If something happens to me... so I have to go in, I have to get checked. (interruption) No, they've given up telling me to exercise.  What I was gonna tell you was they ran all the blood work, blood sugar, normal.  Cholesterol, below normal.  Triglycerides, normal.  And they're mad.  They look at it and they want to run the test again. They want to draw more blood 'cause they don't believe it. 

They do nicotine levels. They asked me if I smoke. I said, "No, I don't smoke. I don't smoke, but I do have e-cigs." I tell 'em. I take the e-cigs and I show 'em. I use the e-cig in the doctor's office. I love it. They look at it, they're intrigued by it. But, no, my cholesterol is normal, and that shouldn't be. My cholesterol should be off the charts. My triglycerides should be off the charts, and it isn't. But something's gonna get me. I don't know what it is, but something is. Just like something's gonna get all of us. Now, I don't want to be misunderstood here. I am not suggesting that you don't exercise. Of course do what makes you feel good. I'm not opposed to it. I just don't want to be preached to about how that is the way to prolong life. If you look doing that stuff, fine and dandy, if you like doing all that stuff and eating all that stuff, if you think living a life of denial is somehow virtuous, you go right ahead. Just don't preach to me about it.

END TRANSCRIPT

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Re: Who Knew? Me! Study Says DNA, Not Lifestyle, is Key to Longevity
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:39:15 am »
Two words:  Jim Fixx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:42:02 am »
Yes, I remember him.  He was a pioneer in the hogging world.

Died grabbing his chest with his Nikes on.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:32 am »
Two words:  Jim Fixx
Correct, but if detected he might have been treated and lived longer.

On the other side of things, it is easy to shorten one's life by harmful lifestyle choices; drinking, smoking, drugs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln