Author Topic: Before & After Joplin Tornado  (Read 2235 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Before & After Joplin Tornado
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:05:37 pm »

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Re: Before & After Joplin Tornado
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:12:09 am »
Wow.  That was incredible, for two reasons:  (1) the amount of destruction - I've never really had a concrete idea of what "destruction of Biblical proportions" might look like, now I do, and (2) the degree of normalcy that the good people of Joplin have managed to maintain in their lives, as uprooted and torn apart as they must be.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:48:55 am »
They're going to lose a lot of folks that will settle down in other areas...for survival.

Joplin may rebuild.  But there will be a lot of vacant lots and buildings for awhile.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:40:52 am »
They're going to lose a lot of folks that will settle down in other areas...for survival.

Joplin may rebuild.  But there will be a lot of vacant lots and buildings for awhile.

and  I don't think they are going to get money like New Orleans received.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:56 am »

I think the key though is "a while;" whereas in certain other areas, the answer may be "never."  I'd put a lot more stock in the folks of Joplin than in a lot of other folks, whether they remain in Joplin or move elsewhere.

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:26:35 pm »
I think you will be surprised by Joplin. There are no empty buildings nor will there be since all have been rented out to the business's that lost their home base and I have heard that most business's will rebuild in fact they have already started. As far as vacant lots I doubt there will be that many the people who lost homes here have family in the area and will either rebuild or have bought up homes that were for sale in the area. I have friends who lost their homes and they may have to live outside of the area for a year till they rebuild but they aren't going any where. This is a City that while a fairly good size actually has a small town atmosphere due to most have many family members in the area and grew up here. Joplin is a great place to live and the people of this great city will do OK no matter what the federal government does or doesn't do the business's in the area are giving a lot of donations to help rebuild we can and will do it ourselves if we have to not all people depend on the government for their survival. We are nothing like the Katrina victims we are a lot more self sufficient and don't have the victim mentality.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:48:58 am »
I think you will be surprised by Joplin. There are no empty buildings nor will there be since all have been rented out to the business's that lost their home base and I have heard that most business's will rebuild in fact they have already started. As far as vacant lots I doubt there will be that many the people who lost homes here have family in the area and will either rebuild or have bought up homes that were for sale in the area. I have friends who lost their homes and they may have to live outside of the area for a year till they rebuild but they aren't going any where. This is a City that while a fairly good size actually has a small town atmosphere due to most have many family members in the area and grew up here. Joplin is a great place to live and the people of this great city will do OK no matter what the federal government does or doesn't do the business's in the area are giving a lot of donations to help rebuild we can and will do it ourselves if we have to not all people depend on the government for their survival. We are nothing like the Katrina victims we are a lot more self sufficient and don't have the victim mentality.

That's good to hear - it's what I figured the folks of Joplin would do.