Author Topic: The Only Surviving, Functional WWII Era PT Boat  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
The Only Surviving, Functional WWII Era PT Boat
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:42:11 am »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: The Only Surviving, Functional WWII Era PT Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:58:37 am »
That was cool.  What a project!

Didn't realize PT boats were wooden. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
Awesome!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »
I wonder if America could do, what we did in WWII?

Our population was 133 million; during the four war years 16 million served in uniform, all around the globe.

My mother and grandfather worked building planes.  My Dad served in the Marine Corps and was wounded on Okinawa.

The PT boats used Packard engines.  No wonder my folks liked (and owned two) Packards.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »
I wonder if America could do, what we did in WWII?

Our population was 133 million; during the four war years 16 million served in uniform, all around the globe.

My mother and grandfather worked building planes.  My Dad served in the Marine Corps and was wounded on Okinawa.

The PT boats used Packard engines.  No wonder my folks liked (and owned two) Packards.

I think so, but only if we have another Great Depression, too (of course, on that count, we may very well get that as well).

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:26:16 pm »
It's not that hard to imagine this country being able to duplicate what we did in WWII.

Unemployment.....no cash flow, plus a dash of unbridled patriotism equals the right combo of ingredients to provide the 'fuel'.

Look at how the country came together on the days immediately following 9-11-01.

Of course, that means there will have to be a catalyst of sorts....to bring us together as one.  Preferably Islamic.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »
Thank you for that!  :patriot:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:22:09 pm »
Last year I toured a WWII LST that had been sold to the Greek navy after WWII but had been restored and was navigating inland waterways.  As my late father commanded an LST in the South Pacific, it was fascinating to see how he and his men lived aboard ship and how (and where) he was seriously injured on the fringes of the Okinawa battle.  I'm not sure our country will ever be as unified or as self-sacrificing we were as during that war.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org