Author Topic: Cantor Walks Out on Debt Talks  (Read 1148 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Cantor Walks Out on Debt Talks
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »
Cantor Walks Out on Debt Talks
June 23, 2011

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Eric Cantor, who is a member of the House Republican leadership, has walked out of negotiations on the debt ceiling with the Obama regime. It's all because Cantor says: Until the regime is willing to get serious talking about taxes and tax cuts and their role in dealing with the debt ceiling, I'm not gonna waste my time anymore. I'm just not going.

So Eric Cantor has bailed out of the debt-reduction talks, saying he's not gonna participate any longer until Obama resolves the issue of taxes. Now there's a threat, there's talk, of dueling press conferences. Cantor's gonna have one of his own and explain why he went. The White House is, maybe, gonna schedule their own press conference at the same time to explain probably why they're glad Cantor is leaving. But I think it's fascinating. It's odd; it's a little weird. This White House seems to be able to negotiate with everybody except the Republicans. They can negotiate with Bashar al-Assad; they can negotiate with Hugo Chavez. They can negotiate with Taliban! They can negotiate with Hamas! But they can't negotiate with the Republicans. Why is that? I mean, the Taliban never accused the Obama administration of not bargaining in good faith! (laughing)

I'm sorry, folks, I had to say it. (laughing) But that's probably why the Taliban. (laughing) They've never gone public and accused the regime of not bargaining in good faith; the Republicans do. Here's Boehner, John Boehner, Speaker of the House, his weekly press briefing explaining Eric Cantor.

BOEHNER: I think the frustration that he feels when Democrat members continue to wanna bring tax hikes into this conversation, and I think Mr. Cantor has made it clear that these conversations could continue if they take the tax hikes out of the conversation.

RUSH: So Eric Cantor is walked out. Now they'll call him a quitter and they'll say he's in a race with Sarah Palin to see who can quick the best and in the most spectacular fashion and all that.
BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Richard, Edwardsville, Kansas. I'm glad you waited, sir. You're on the EIB Network. Hello.

CALLER: Mega dittos, Rush, from the only conservative left in Wyandotte County.

RUSH: No, no! Tell me that's not true.

CALLER: (laughing)

RUSH: I have been to Wyandotte County. Don't tell me that. There's gotta be more than you there.

CALLER: Well, maybe two or three, but it's pretty slim pickings. Anyway, I was calling because I wish the Republicans would bring up the fact that the Social Security tax breaks that Obama hypes and the Dems that you just had on would bring up the fact that a lot of our companies had to raise our insurance rates to offset the fact that we're insuring the minors 'til they're 26 years old and people with preexisting conditions. So, I saw a zero-sum gain on that Social Security break due to the fact that we're going to the Obama plan already. I just wanted to share that with you and point that out.

RUSH: Well, I appreciate it. I really do.

CALLER: I hope like heck that they start to point out the fact that we're not seeing much in the way of breaks from the Obama plan. His health insurance is gonna --

RUSH: Breaks! Breaks? Breaks? (scoffs) It's the opposite of breaks. I mean, you're gonna start seeing obstacles. We're not talking about breaks here. Besides, if you're talking about specifically if I have straight what you're talking about, you're not even talking about something that's permanent that's gonna change anybody's behavior. This is just this trick, gimmick, if you're talking about a tax holiday for Social Security. (interruption) I know. I know. They're blaming companies for not hiring. They keep going back and forth. "Okay, who is it sabotaging the economy?" "Well, it's businesses sitting on all this cash, refusing to hire anybody." Now it's the Republicans -- and they keep, you know, throwing this dart up against the wall until it sticks someplace; and they've found it: Blame the Republicans for it. Jonathan Alter is carrying the water; he'll be joined by others this afternoon and tonight on cable TV.

END TRANSCRIPT

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald