Author Topic: Crony Capitalism: General Motors CEO Calls for Higher Fuel Prices  (Read 1164 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Crony Capitalism: General Motors CEO Calls for Higher Fuel Prices
June 8, 2011

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Have you seen this? "CEO of General Motors is Pushing for Higher Gasoline Taxes -- General Motors CEO Dan Akerson wants the federal gasoline tax boosted as much as $1-a-gallon to nudge consumers toward more fuel-efficient cars," because they won't buy them on their own. This is like the CEO for Kellogg's asking for a tax on milk! It's like whoever makes JIF Peanut Butter asking for a tax on jelly. Folks, this is insane. This is what happens when you remake the American economy using crony capitalism as the new foundation for the private sector. This is not capitalism. This is crony capitalism. You've got GM, through no fault of their own, taken over by Obama.

Obama's got this dream of people driving around in these little whirlybird propeller cars that aren't gonna take anybody anywhere, and nobody wants them. Look, I'm like anybody else in this country: I love General Motors. It pains me to say this stuff. The number of Volts that have been sold is in the two to 300 range and so now the CEO wants higher fuel taxes to force people to buy them? How about making cars people want? Whatever happened to that. But, see, this is what happened: Crony capitalism. So it's like I said: Kellogg's asking for an increased tax on milk makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? When they have crony capitalism as the new foundation for the private sector, you get a car manufacturer calling for an increase in the gas tax. It goes against the best interests of the company, the best interests of its employees and customers. But it's making good on a deal with the devil that you had to make.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: It's amazing. I wonder if the CEO of General Motors, Mr. Akerson, can speak when Obama is drinking a glass of water.

END TRANSCRIPT

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Crony Capitalism: General Motors CEO Calls for Higher Fuel Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:07:37 pm »
Our first vehicles were electric, France and UK were pushing them in 1899...but the first "electric carriage" was built in 1832.

Henry Ford was wise enough to realize that was not going to advance the auto industry and in 1908 debuted the mass-produced gasoline powered Model T.......  and by 1920 the electric was dead because American's wanted a car that could go longer and longer distances with more horsepower.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:28:20 pm »
GM needs government help.

Volt = makes no economic sense.

Cruze = Ford's new Focus wins every category; mileage, handling, etc.

Camaro = Mustang wins magazine comparisons; not to mention first brilliant GM management simply killed the Camaro without a replacement, followed by years designing the new one, which still loses to Mustang.  Camaro is too big.

At the end of the day, while GM's cars are mediocre, its management continues to suck.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:32:58 am »
Ford is the only American car company left.  As far as I'm concerned, it's Ford, or it's foreign.