Author Topic: Republicans Can Learn from Bibi  (Read 1193 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Republicans Can Learn from Bibi
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »
Republicans Can Learn from Bibi
May 20, 2011

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: There's a little meeting going on, Bibi Netanyahu and Obama, and when it started out -- Netanyahu is speaking now -- I said, "Oh, no.  Oh, no."  I said, "Netanyahu's having to eat the excrement sandwich."  'Cause he started out with all the pap, "You're great, great to hear you're committed to Israel, Mr. Obama, great that you're committed to peace.  We're committed to peace."  And I'm thinking, well, this is what happens, when the country gets $5 billion from us you have to go in there and eat the excrement sandwich.  But then, Bibi said, "We cannot go back to the 1967 lines."  He said it in public.  He looked right in the camera. He looked at Obama and said, "We cannot go back to the 1967 boundaries, the borders.  They don't take into account the changes that have taken place on the ground.  Israel cannot negotiate with a Palestine government that is backed by Hamas.  He's saying all this publicly with Obama sitting there.  The camera is not on Obama, it's a tight shot of Bibi.

JOHNNY DONOVAN:  And now, from sunny south Florida, it's Open Line Friday!

RUSH:  On the day before the rapture, I am sitting here thanking God.  Benjamin Netanyahu:  "We cannot negotiate with a Palestinian government backed by Hamas.  Hamas just attacked you, Mr. President, for getting rid of Bin Laden."  Netanyahu is saying this to our young man-child president.  We can't go back to the '67 borders.  So you strip everything else away here, folks, and it's obvious to me who's coming off as the more serious man in that room.  And I gotta tell you, I can't wait to see what the media does with Netanyahu.  I can't wait to see how the media characterizes this.  Will they say he showed profound disrespect, that these comments should have never been made in public. It would be fine to share these sentiments with President Obama in a private meeting, but to go public like this and to slap the president.

Maybe they don't look at it that way.  Maybe they don't look at the president being slapped down here.  Maybe it isn't the president.  I gotta give myself a wide berth here because right now I'm visual only and reading closed-captioning.  So it appears to me that what Netanyahu is saying is, essentially, "Look, that stuff you said yesterday, we really appreciate how you feel.  We can't do any of it."  Is that how it's coming across?  It says we're not gonna do anything.  We can't.  Now he's talking about the Palestinian refugees.  He is not gonna accept them.  He said that's not gonna happen.  And everybody knows it's not gonna happen. 

I have to be right.  Look at Obama.  Look at Obama. He's sitting there as though Bibi is Paul Ryan at the health care -- oh-ho, folks.  Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho, mama!  Cool this is.  Cool this is.  We're rolling tape on it, and we'll have audio of this as soon as we can assemble it and put it together for you.  Obama hasn't said a word in four minutes now.  He's sitting there with his hand on his chin and it's covering his mouth, and you can't tell if he's smiling.  Netanyahu has not stopped talking.  He's looking alternately at Obama and then at the cameras.  The US and Israel, they have differences here and there.  So can't go back to the '67 borders. They don't take into account the changes that have taken place on the ground.  Israel cannot negotiate with the Palestinian government backed by Hamas.  Hamas just attacked you, Mr. President, for getting rid of Bin Laden.  He said that.
Hamas is a terrorist organization.  We are not gonna negotiate with a terrorist organization.  A terrorist organization just attacked you, Mr. President, and of course, unstated here is that yesterday you, Mr. President, aligned yourself with Hamas, which is a terrorist organization.  Obama has his hand up like Hillary had her hand in the Situation Room photo during the Bin Laden raid.  You know, when Hillary had her hand over her mouth with that wide look on her eyes (gasping), but Obama does not have that expression.  Netanyahu says that the Palestinian leaders are going to have to choose between a pact with Hamas or peace with Israel.  Whoa!  This is the gauntlet! 

Folks, the gauntlet's being thrown down here.  Can Bibi run for the Republican nomination?  Would you people in Indiana support Bibi?  I'm just teasing, of course.  Obama's not gonna say anything.  They ended this thing without Obama saying anything.  They cut out of it.  Obama did not say a word.  The thing just ended.  The last word was Netanyahu.  The only word was Netanyahu.  Well, Obama opened it up.  Okay.  So now, folks, I don't think there's any question that Obama's mad.  And let's not forget here, let's not forget something.  Remember, a couple years ago, one or two years ago, the Israeli delegation was in the White House having a meeting with Obama late in the afternoon, approaching dinnertime, and the subject being discussed was Israeli settlements and new construction.  And you recall that the Israelis thought President Obama was very rude. 

He said, (paraphrasing) "Look, I'm leaving, I'm going to dinner. I expect an answer from you in two hours when I come back." (interruption) Oh yeah, the Republicans can learn a lot from what Bibi just did, Netanyahu.  I know him.  Which is why I say, Bibi.  I've not played golf with Bibi, but I have smoked cigars with Bibi at a Manhattan hotel during his previous prime ministership.  And I tell you, there's a lot for the Republicans to learn here.  That's why I said, could he run for the Republican nomination?  Is it possible?  So it just ended, and, folks, you'll see pictures, Obama sitting there.  For the longest time the camera was tight on Netanyahu.  Then they backed off wide, and Obama sitting there with that hand on his chin, looking at Netanyahu like sorta daring him just to keep going.  And he didn't say a word when it was over, practically turned his back to the camera, and all the networks just backed out of it. 

So here's really the nuts and bolts of this.  Central theme of the regime's policy yesterday, as articulated by Obama, was a return to the '67 borders.  The next day, today, Benjamin Netanyahu, in the Oval Office, says, we can't return to the '67 borders.  Too much has happened on the ground since.  We can't do that and we're not gonna negotiate with Hamas.  Now, Obama didn't say anything, he just turned around and said, thanks, guys, to the press, and the press cut off.  Marvin Kalb is on Fox now.  Even Marvin Kalb said, this is stunning.  He said he has never heard Netanyahu speak so directly.  You know, as the kids say today, Obama just got schooled.  Barack Obama just got schooled.  And so did the Republican presidential field, just got schooled.  I'd have to say that Benjamin Netanyahu, now the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination.
BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: There's a third thing that Netanyahu said, and it gets to the right of return that we have been discussing here on the EIB Network.  He said we're not gonna return to '67 borders.  He said we're not gonna negotiate with a terrorist government, Hamas, and we are not going to allow Palestinians to resettle inside Israel.  Plain as day.  As easy to understand as one, two, three.  Now, I thought there were some people on our side of the aisle saying that Obama's proposal yesterday was the same thing that Bush had proposed, and it wasn't.  We made that clear today.  George W. Bush, in 2004, with a statement that was endorsed by both houses of Congress, saying that the United States policy was not to return to the 1967 borders in Israel. 

Now, you've had, I've seen it, leftist commentators all over television today, "Well, what Obama said is no different than what's been US policy, it's always been policy, the '67 borders."  It has not.  Again, the left lies.  We've got the letter from George W. Bush.  I read the appropriate excerpt.  Here it is again.  Pertinent text.  Bush's 2004 letter to then prime minister Ariel Sharon.  "As part of a final peace settlement, Israel must have secure and recognized borders, which should emerge from negotiations between the parties in accordance with the United Nations Security Council resolutions 242 and 338.  In light of new realities on the ground, including already existing major Israeli population centers --" i.e., changes on the ground "-- it is unrealistic to expect that the outcome of final status negotiations will be a full and complete return to the armistice lines of 1949, also known as the pre-1967 borders."  It is not US policy to accept the 1967 borders, since 2004. Now, this is very, very important here what just happened.  Now, I have to ask a question. 

Look at that picture of Obama looking at Netanyahu.  There's a still shot of Obama with that hand on his face as I just described, and he is shooting daggers at Netanyahu.  He is shooting daggers of sheer, unadulterated anger.  I'm sorry I can't show it to you.  But don't doubt me.  No, Obama didn't lay down the 1967 condition to get both sides to talk, and even if he did, it ain't gonna work because Bibi has just said they're not gonna talk with Hamas.  They're not gonna negotiate with a terrorist organization. 

But here's another question.  You remember back during the Iran-Contra hearings, at this joint committee of House and Senate people, they were gonna get to the bottom of it, there were gonna find out who did what.  And the day came where they were going to have Ollie North testify.  And Oliver North testified and ran rings around 'em, and at the end of it, people were incredulous 'cause they had granted Ollie immunity. You grant immunity so that people will tell the truth.  But the mistake they made was they granted the immunity without knowing what he was going to say.  They were so convinced that Ollie was gonna bury Reagan.  All they wanted was Reagan's head on a platter when it came to Iran-Contra. 

They were so convinced that North was close enough that he would have received orders from Reagan, that whatever North said it would bury Reagan.  The exact opposite happened.  They got no closer to Reagan.  North ran rings around 'em.  And I'm looking at this today, and I'm asking myself, "Why did Obama allow this to happen?"  Obama just allowed himself to get slapped on national TV in front of the world.  Now, Bibi was respectful, don't misunderstand.  That's what makes this even better.  How could Obama, after talking to Bibi, not know what he was gonna say?  You're president of the United States.  Okay, you got this joint thing planned, but if you get wind that Netanyahu's gonna go out and say these kind of things, creating that facial reaction, that visual reaction on your part, you cancel it and you come up with some explanation.  Whatever explanation the cancellation ends up being is not nearly as bad as what happened. 

This looked like Obama had no control over the events, or else it looked like the same thing, he was so arrogant, he was so cock-certain that Netanyahu had to go along with whatever Obama proposed 'cause he's Obama, he's the first black president, he's the president of the world, everybody loves Obama, Bibi's gonna have to automatically cower.  Maybe Bibi in their private meeting didn't say these things, maybe it's a total sandbag, I don't know, but you're president of the United States, and you don't allow yourself to get sandbagged this way.  And he did.  Obama did.  I'm stunned at this.  Where's the staff?  Even if Obama's too young and idealistic and impressed with himself, where's an adult around here warning, "You know, Mr. President, you don't want this to happen." 

I'll be eager for you people to see this later on today, if you haven't yet when you get yourself near a television.  When you see Netanyahu and Obama you'll see a true leader, and you'll see a lightweight in direct side by side contrast, a true leader and a lightweight. You know, Netanyahu said, "Israel is my responsibility."  He didn't say it's not yours to Obama, but the implication was clear.  Now, the meeting prior to this presser, this little joint presser they have here -- it wasn't a presser; the appearance -- meeting went on more than an hour than was scheduled, so I would assume that Netanyahu had a lot of things to say to Obama.
BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Okay, we have the Bibi sound bites here. We're gonna play 'em for you here coming back in just a second. But I figured it out. I figured it out. I answered my own question. Obama obviously thought he was talking to a Republican, and he thought Bibi was gonna be like your average Republican: Just sit there and take it, and try to be nice, and not say anything, and let Obama get away with it all. Now, the next thing we gotta do, folks, is we have to find a birth certificate for Netanyahu in Hawaii. We've gotta be able to establish that he was born in this country. Now, he went to high school in Philadelphia. Netanyahu spent some time at a high school in Philadelphia along with his brother, and Netanyahu is well familiar with the United States.

His father was a professor here for a while. He's a combat vet. He's faced a lot more in five-minutes than Obama has in his entire life -- and I'm sure Obama thought dealing with a Republican or a General Motors executive or whoever he generally gets his way with, but he met somebody that he finally provoked enough in Netanyahu that he's not gonna push over, that he's not gonna push around. Israel is not... Israel's a country of Holocaust survivors and their offspring. They're tough, smart people. Not gonna push 'em over. You're not gonna push over Netanyahu. If Israel wanted to, they could blow every one of their neighbors off the face of the earth -- if they wanted to. They have the ability to do it. Let's go to the audio sound bites. Here is first off, Obama at the White House. They're sitting in front of the fireplace there in the Oval Office.

OBAMA: We discussed in-depth, uh, the principles that I laid out yesterday, the belief that, uh, our ultimate goal has to be, uh, a secure Israeli state -- a Jewish state -- living side bid side in peace and security with a contiguous, functioning, uh, and effective Palestinian state. Uh, obviously there are some differences between us -- the precise formulations and language -- uh, and that's gonna happen between friends.

RUSH: Okay, so there you have the (please allow me to characterize it my way) arrogance. We discussed the principles "I" laid out yesterday. We discussed the principles that "I" laid out yesterday. The belief that the ultimate goal is a secure Israel, blah, blah, blah. And next up was Benjamin Netanyahu.

NETANYAHU: I think for there to be peace, the Palestinians will have to accept some basic realities. The first is that while Israel is prepared to make generous compromises for peace it cannot go back to the 1967 lines, because these lines are indefensible -- because they don't take into account certain changes that have taken place on the ground, demographic changes that have taken place over the last 44 years. Remember that before 1967, Israel was all of nine miles wide. It was half the width of the Washington Beltway. And these were not the boundaries of peace; they were the boundaries of repeated wars, because the attack on Israel was so attractive for them. So we can't go back to those indefensible lines, and we're going to have to have a long-term military presence along the Jordan. I discussed this with the President, and I think that we understand that Israel has certain security requirements that will have to come into place in any deal that we make.

RUSH: Now, not much of that has anything to do with the principles Obama laid down yesterday. Yeah, would be we're gonna get back to Jo in Thomasville, North Carolina. Jo, hang on. We've just got the sound bites and I want people to hear these. So "We can't go back to '67 lines, events on the ground changes, demographic changes, the lines don't make any sense. They can't be defended. These were not the boundaries of peace." Folks, look, Obama had his lunch handed to him here; I'm not sure that he knows exactly how much. He knows he was dissed. In his view, in his parlance, he was dissed. I don't know that he knows just how profound this rebuke was. Here's more of Netanyahu…

NETANYAHU: Israel cannot negotiate with a Palestinian government that is backed by Hamas. Hamas, as the President said, is a terrorist organization committed to Israel's destruction. It's fired thousands of rockets on our cities, on our children -- and Hamas has just attacked you, Mr. President, and the United States for ridded the world of Bin Laden. So Israel obviously cannot be asked to negotiate with a government that is backed by the Palestinian version of Al-Qaeda. I think President Abbas has a simple choice. He has to decide if he negotiates or keeps his pact with Hamas or makes peace with Israel -- and I can only express what I said to you just now, that he hope he makes the choice: The right choice of choosing peace with Israel.
RUSH: This is a profound rebuke. "Look, we're not gonna negotiate with our version of Al-Qaeda. You wouldn't. I mean, they just attacked you, Mr. President, for taking out Bin Laden! We're not gonna negotiate with a terrorist organization." But Obama says, "Well, we discussed the principles that I laid out yesterday. We believe in mutually assured," blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. The rebuke continued! Bibi's third point: Right of return.

NETANYAHU: The third reality is that the Palestinian refugee problem will have to be resolved in the context of a Palestinian state, but certainly not in the borders of Israel. The Arab attack in 1948 on Israel resulted in two refugee problems: A Palestinian refugee problem and Jewish refugees in roughly the same number, who were expelled from Arab lands. Now, tiny Israel absorbed the Jewish refugees, but the vast Arab world refused to absorb the Palestinian refugees. Now 63 years later, the Palestinians come to us, and they say to Israel, "Accept the grandchildren, really, and the great-grandchildren of these refugees; thereby wiping out Israel's future as a Jewish state." So it's not gonna happen, everybody knows it's not gonna happen, and I think it's time to tell the Palestinians forthrightly: It's not gonna happen.

RUSH: This is unprecedented? (laughing) This is unprecedented! Gosh, folks, I can't tell you! This is orgasmic. So simply stated: "It's not going to happen. It just isn't gonna happen and everybody knows it's not gonna happen." He just said, in effect, "Your speech yesterday was just a bunch of worthless words. Your speech yesterday was just a bunch of pap. You know this isn't gonna happen; everybody knows this isn't gonna happen. It would be the end of the Jewish state if we had the grandchildren of these refugees flowing into our country." It's not gonna happen, just isn't gonna happen." By the way, Netanyahu also went to Harvard and MIT, and I'm telling you: In his life he's done more in five minutes than Obama has done in his whole career. Finally, Netanyahu's last remark...

NETANYAHU: Now it falls on my shoulders -- as the prime minister of Israel at a time of extraordinary instability and uncertainty in the Middle East -- to work with you to fashion a peace --

RUSH: Oh, jeez!

NETANYAHU: -- that will ensure Israel's security and will not jeopardize its survival. I take this responsibility with pride but with great humility, because, as I told you in our conversation: We don't have a lot of margin for error -- and because, Mr. President, history will not give Jewish people another chance.

RUSH: History will not give… Folks, I'm gonna tell you something: Benjamin Netanyahu is lecturing Obama like a schoolchild. I cannot emphasize this enough. This was a total rebuke, and he was telling the world the facts, as plainly spoken as anyone could. There was no diplomatic lingo used here. "It's not gonna happen." "It's just not going to happen." "It falls on my shoulders as prime minister of Israel...to work with you to fashion a peace." (laughing) Fat chance we've got, working with you, because Obama's for the other side. Obama's for the Palestinians.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: It really was amazing what we saw in this hour: Benjamin Netanyahu, with so many lessons for so many people, illustrating so much what a really young amateur we have in the White House. Obama was taken to school today. The Republican Party was shown all they have to do -- and it doesn't involve shouting, and it doesn't involve pointing fingers. It just involves telling the truth. Benjamin Netanyahu was fearless. Stood up to a president that nobody to date has had the courage to stand up to, and I guarantee you the people heard this -- and when you see it, it will have double impact on you. You'll be wishing this guy could seek the Republican nomination. It was just an amazing contrast in terms of experience, status, and solid credentials. It was wonderful to see. Bibi Netanyahu.

END TRANSCRIPT

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald