Author Topic: Nearly Half of Detroit Can't Read  (Read 1190 times)

Online DCPatriot

Nearly Half of Detroit Can't Read
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:27:00 PM by Oceander »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Nearly Half of Detroit Can't Read
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
The stunner isn't that 47% of Detroit is functionally illiterate, the stunner is that 53% are still at least minimally literate.

Abandoned Detroit schools:

Abandoned Detroit school library:

The abandoned Detroit Public Schools Book Depository:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
Disgusting.  At this point the only thing that they can do with Detroit is torch it, burn it to the ground and then bulldoze the residue.......  all those beautiful pre WWII buildings ....... gone.........  get rid of it.

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
I thought something should have been done to save it 30 years ago when I lived in the suburbs of Detroit. Now the downtown along the river is beautiful and should be saved the rest of the city is trashed with most homes falling down.  Not the present mayor but the two before him who were democrats as they all have been during most of my lifetime have done the worst damage the mayor before that made a lot of money being mayor he was by all accounts a crook and was in a long long time but he at least didn't go out of his way to destroy it like the last two. This new mayor is trying his hardest to fix what is wrong but it is to far gone and I don't think any amount of time or money can help. I do believe they ought to bulldoze most of it and start over.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
It is incredibly sad....... and shows what can happen when the dems are allowed to run things... no good comes of it.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »
Don't know if a bulldozer is really necessary.  By the looks of it from this image:

at least half of the work of razing has been done already.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »
May be the only city in the country with freeways that don't have a rush hour.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
And it would seem that all it would take to revive the city would be to get one of the Asian car manufacturers...or the South Koreans, to open up their USA headquarters in Detroit.

Promise that there will be NO unions.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
And it would seem that all it would take to revive the city would be to get one of the Asian car manufacturers...or the South Koreans, to open up their USA headquarters in Detroit.

Promise that there will be NO unions.

That's actually a pretty good idea - provided, of course, that there are no unions, as you point out.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »
Btttttttt  Bloomie wants to send all the illegals to Detroit....... I guess if they escape alive he will give them amnesty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
Most remaining in Detroit expect Reparations for Life.

Rent, food, medical, with cash left over forever.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.ÔŅĹ  Abe Lincoln

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 12:58:12 AM »
Most remaining in Detroit expect Reparations for Life.

Rent, food, medical, with cash left over forever.

Only one word for that:  parasites

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
ABC had a series between seasons for Home Makeover with millionaires going incognito and living on less than $100 for a full week going to slums and looking for worthwhile charities they could work in during that week and decided who might be worthy of splitting a personal donation of $100,000......  One of these was in Detroit.  All I can say is I don't see how these people escape from Detroit, it is dreary, the people are beaten down and feel helpless and hopeless......

Yesterday on Fox they gave the dollars spent per student and in Detroit it is over $1000 more per student than the majority of the nation yet they are the most illiterate......  How can those teachers look in the mirror -- or the administrators?  Where is that money really being spent?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf