Author Topic: A Clarification on Yesterday's iPhone/iPad Location Data Story  (Read 1003 times)

Offline DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
Re: A Clarification on Yesterday's iPhone/iPad Location Data Story
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
I heard Rush go on, and on, and on about this today.  I couldn't quite get what he was doing.

Then in the car I listened to BBC and they got right to it, in a couple of short paragraphs.

The Brits pointed out that the users of iPhones, etc. authorize this data.

It isn't limited to Apple, or iPhone.  My Android does every single thing an iPhone can do.

And of course my wife chimed in that cars have OnStar, which locates folks.

Must be a slow news (creation) day.

I like what I see of Gary Johnson.  750 vetoes, more than the 49 other Governors combined !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
I heard Rush go on, and on, and on about this today.  I couldn't quite get what he was doing.

Then in the car I listened to BBC and they got right to it, in a couple of short paragraphs.

The Brits pointed out that the users of iPhones, etc. authorize this data.

It isn't limited to Apple, or iPhone.  My Android does every single thing an iPhone can do.

And of course my wife chimed in that cars have OnStar, which locates folks.

Must be a slow news (creation) day.

I like what I see of Gary Johnson.  750 vetoes, more than the 49 other Governors combined !!

I could see some beneficial applications of the technology.

Parents could log the whereabouts of their children (BIG ONE)
Employers could track their drivers/employees (Good one)

Yesterday, he said the application could NOT be turned off.  Today....a different story.

Maybe they sent him a few dozen of everything.....for his employees and giveaway promos.  He did this last year.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
I wonder whether this data passes through some government Homeland Security operation prior to getting to Apple?  All Internet communications pass through government portals so that they can be "sniffed," although the operation is supposedly classified.  Not that I am worried.  If the administration wants to know whether I am their enemy all they need do is google my ass.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »
I could see some beneficial applications of the technology.

Parents could log the whereabouts of their children (BIG ONE)
Employers could track their drivers/employees (Good one)

Yesterday, he said the application could NOT be turned off.  Today....a different story.

Maybe they sent him a few dozen of everything.....for his employees and giveaway promos.  He did this last year.

What they said on Fox is you can purchase an AP to turn it off, but it is not an Apple AP and you have to break into your phone to do it.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
.... All Internet communications pass through government portals so that they can be "sniffed," although the operation is supposedly classified.  Not that I am worried.  If the administration wants to know whether I am their enemy all they need do is google my ass.

ROFL!  Absolutely. 

Wouldn't be surprised if every registered member of certain websites are already on a list someplace.

....anything with a "GOP" in it....you know!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf